PDA

View Full Version : Class Convertion - 3.5 Knight

Mirge Night
2016-04-09, 06:30 AM
Hello.

I been trying to find a build that mimics the Knight from 3.5

What I liked about the Knight in 3.5

Melee (not the damage but some one who waded through battle. I liked it for theme Thematic not function)
Tank (High HP/Heavy Amour (fantasy aspect of this)/ Shield user (Fantasy and Function)
Aggro Manipulation (My favorite class feature in DnD was the challenged system)
Non Magic User (I liked playing a class that didn't use anything but his strength/Toughness/Charisma)

Any help would be great

Kryx
2016-04-09, 06:46 AM
Battle Master Fighter with Protection style and Goading Attack seems to meet your needs.

Mirge Night
2016-04-09, 06:50 AM
Battle Master Fighter with Protection style and Goading Attack seems to meet your needs.

As much as this would be cool the agro manipulation is very limited in this line.

Additionally, the challenge system had other benefits such as shaking off mind manipulating affects and the deathless effect at 20.

Kryx
2016-04-09, 07:27 AM
Additionally, the challenge system had other benefits such as shaking off mind manipulating affects.

INDOMITABLE
Beginning at 9th level, you can reroll a saving throw that you fail. If you do 50, You must use the new roll, and you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest. You can use this feature twice between long rests starting at 13th level and three times between long rests starting at 17th level.

You're basically looking for an archetype of a fighter with new aggro mechanics that don't already exist in 5e (which I wouldn't encourage).

JumboWheat01
2016-04-09, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately, the best "aggro machine" would be the Oath of the Crown Paladin. They have ways of pretty much forcing others to fight them. A bear totem barbarian would be the next closest and available to the PHB, since they cause enemies to have disadvantage when attacking others but the barbarian.

The former is definitely magical, the latter is quasi-magical (not really casting any spells, but darn near close.)

Sir cryosin
2016-04-09, 09:26 AM
Your looking at a fighter probably battlemaster. For drawing aggro just insult the monsters. There is no real aggro drawing mechanics in 5e other them spell Compal duel a couple of paladin ability and battle masters goating attack. Shrugging off mind effects that's what the fighters ability indomitable is for. Other then that take animal handling and buy a horse or what ever you like and have fun.

OldTrees1
2016-04-09, 10:08 AM

Melee (not the damage but some one who waded through battle. I liked it for theme Thematic not function)
Tank (High HP/Heavy Amour (fantasy aspect of this)/ Shield user (Fantasy and Function)
Non Magic User (I liked playing a class that didn't use anything but his strength/Toughness/Charisma)

Paladin.
Now hear me out, I know that Paladins technically have spells, but you do not need to use them as a Magic User.
Paladins have some of the best tank/agro abilities. Their Aura marks them as a huge target to eliminate first(so that their allies are easier to hurt) and they benefit from the Cha used for RP agro manipulation(the taunts and other verbal statements).

Personally I would use a 12:8 Paladin to Fighter ratio for a Knight character (refluffing the Aura with a more non magical explanation).

Slipperychicken
2016-04-09, 11:38 AM
Battlemaster fighter, protection fighting style, use goading attack and menacing attack a lot, take the sentinel feat. If you really want that one power that lets you keep fighting for a bit after being knocked down to zero, you could be a half orc for the relentless endurance ability.

It lets you scare and challenge enemies, it's not magic, it's tanky, you can use your shield to protect allies, and you get good damage. It seems to cover everything the 3.5 knight did.

Specter
2016-04-09, 12:11 PM
The Purple Dragon Knight was a valid attempt at this, as a charismatic combatant who protected the party. But any Battlemaster with the Goading/Menacing Attack maneuvers and the Sentinel feat can be a pseudo-knight, I guess.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-04-09, 12:35 PM
Hello.

I been trying to find a build that mimics the Knight from 3.5

Any help would be great

Rogue :)

Variant Human gives you Moderately Armored (Medium Armor and Shield), you will want a 14 in Dex. Refluff the armor.

You will use a shield and a Rapier, the Rapier is pretty much a longsword at this point.

You will take a custom background of soldier, athletics and persuasion should fit the Knight ideal the quite alright.

Skills: Athletics (expertise), Persuasion, Insight, Intimidation, Perception, Performance and Survival (human). Your other expertise will be wherever you want it to be. I like Perception and Persuasion expertise for this character after Athletics expertise.

Ability Scores at first level
Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 12

HP: 10
AC: 18 (shield plus medium armor)
Speed: 30
Initiative: +2

Cunning Action: You can actually get around the battlefield without a problem.

Sneak Attack progression. This is now Power Attack, but you know you can only hit with a wild swing if the opponent is distracted or you have advantage in some way.

Uncanny Dodge/Evasion: You actually know how to use your shield and armor to defend yourself.

At level 3, go the Swashbuckler route. Refluff as a Knight.
Gain additional type of sneak attack.
Gain Cha to initiative (+4 initiative)
Sneak Attack Power Attack creatures if you are dueling them alone (nothing else adjacent to them).

From here just keep boosting Strength and Charisma. Take the Shield Master feat at some point. Your damage doesn't rely on your ability modifier all that much, just trip to get advantage and you can work with a less than prioritized strength score/modifier.

The best Fighter is actually the Rogue.

EDIT!

Just remembered you can charm creatures with a Persuasion check with Swashbuckler, TAKE EXPERTISE PERSUASION for maximum awesomeness.

Also, the reason you know Thieves' Cant is because you were in the Military Police and dealt with them quite a bit.

Foxhound438
2016-04-09, 05:41 PM
You will take a custom background of soldier, athletics and persuasion should fit the Knight ideal the quite alright.

there's already a "knight" background. It's a variant to Noble, and gives you the "retainers" feature, which itself can be quite useful and versatile.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-09, 06:16 PM
there's already a "knight" background. It's a variant to Noble, and gives you the "retainers" feature, which itself can be quite useful and versatile.

A knight without athletics seems a bit... Weird. Like yeah you can take that as part of your race or class but it feels like It should come with your background.

/shrug.

Slipperychicken
2016-04-09, 06:25 PM
A knight without athletics seems a bit... Weird. Like yeah you can take that as part of your race or class but it feels like It should come with your background.

/shrug.

My assumption is that they want to keep it open, in case you want to play a knight who isn't focusing on strength. For instance, I recently made a cleric knight who uses shillelagh to hit people with a club; he has a terrible strength score, but is no less a knight for it.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-04-09, 06:31 PM

/shrug.
That's why you're allowed to customize background skills.

R.Shackleford
2016-04-09, 06:43 PM
That's why you're allowed to customize background skills.

Well yeah, that was part of the discussion already.

Drackolus
2016-04-09, 07:45 PM
You could do banneret with the feat, but it's not the same. Inspiring leader and sentinel are nice choices.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-04-09, 09:10 PM
You could do banneret with the feat, but it's not the same. Inspiring leader and sentinel are nice choices.

Hmmm I feel as if a StRogue (Swashbuckler) build would rock with sentinel and staying up front with a Fighter or Paladin with the defending fighting style.

Your lesser HP would be made up for by having Uncanny Dodge and enemies having Disadvantage on their attacks against your at minimum 18 AC.

Basically you put enemies in a no win-no win situation. Though in this build the Strogue would need to boost their strength more so than the Shield Master Rogue.

Mcdt2
2016-04-10, 02:31 PM
Since I loved the 3.5 Knight class enough to make a (very strong) redux version of it, I couldn't resist this excuse to make a 5e version.

Fair warning: this was thrown together very quickly and is likely rather strong and poorly worded, as I prefer to err on the side of the PC feeling too badass rather than too useless to contribute. It's a fighter subclass at the moment, though I intend to eventually make a full-blown class for it eventually.

The Immortal Guardian
Guardian's Resolve

A true warrior never falters in battle, and her resolve allows her to defend her friends with inhuman zeal. You have a pool of resolve points equal to your Charisma modifier, which you can use to power a number of abilities, below. Your regain your expended resolve when you complete a long rest.

Some Guardian abilities may require a save. Calculate the save as follows:

Save DC: 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier

Fighting Challenge

As a bonus action, you may expend a point of resolve and call out a challenge to a single foe to stand and fight. If they fail a Charisma save, then they have disadvantage on all attacks against creatures other than you, and any other creature they use a spell or ability requiring a save against has advantage on that save. In addition, they must make a Charisma save in order to move away from you. This effect lasts for 1 minute.

Call to Battle

At 7th level, you may spend a point of resolve as a bonus action to allow an ally to make another save with advantage against an ongoing effect that allows a save every round to end.

Resolute Defense

At 10th level, you may spend two points of resolve as a reaction when you are dealt damage. You have resistance to all damage for that attack, and until the end of the the attacker's turn.

Inspiring Presence

At 15th level, a guardian's mere presence on the field keeps her friends in the fight. Allies that can see or hear you have advantage on all saves against effects which cause the charmed or frightened conditions.
In addition, as an action the guardian may spend two points of resolve to grant all allies within 30 feet advantage on all attacks until the beginning of the guardian's next turn.

Loyal Beyond Death

At 18th level, even death cannot prevent a guardian from completing her duty. As long as you are fighting to defend another, you have advantage on death saves, and effects which would kill you outright (such as massive damage) instead leave you at 0 hp and allow you to make death saves, as normal.

Drackolus
2016-04-10, 04:31 PM
Actually, if anything, I think it's somewhat weak, but only because it gets its resource on long rest. Make it short rest and it sounds alright. A round of advantage might be slightly too powerful then, but even then, I think it's comparable to the battlemaster.
If that's just a quick draft, you must be really good.

Mcdt2
2016-04-11, 03:44 PM
Actually, if anything, I think it's somewhat weak, but only because it gets its resource on long rest. Make it short rest and it sounds alright. A round of advantage might be slightly too powerful then, but even then, I think it's comparable to the battlemaster.
If that's just a quick draft, you must be really good.

Well, thank you! I try.

And yeah, that was something I whipped up in 15 minutes or so, albeit based on my 3.5 version which took days to make, so it was mostly choosing which abilities I felt were worth converting over. I think I meant for the resolve to start out recharging on a long rest and then eventually on a short rest, like bardic inspiration dice, but that obviously got left out. You're right, though, being usable from a short rest (from the start) is probably a better idea.