PDA

View Full Version : Brief love letter

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-09, 09:41 AM
Last night, I had a player make a romanticish connection with a crooked town sheriff. When my players started snooping around to learn the defensive capabilities of the town, they stirred up some criminal thugs and had to put them down. The sheriff is described as, "Stunningly gorgeous. Long wavy red hair with green piercing eyes. Trench coat and leather armor. WAY overconfident. Eager to share information. Hogs the spotlight. Looks out for herself."

The lawful good player reported the incidents and had an interestingly brief exchange of words with her. She said they'd look into it, then contacted them to come in the next day. She revealed that she had been running the town with the help of the bandits, then attacked the party. She was severely outmatched and had to flee while the party hacked down her lackeys. She's a very conflicted character with serious issues and part of her is crazy about [player]. Any snippets or ideas for chunks of a love letter sitting out on her desk? Long or brief.

I'm thinking about leaving it unfinished.

hymer
2016-04-09, 09:48 AM
I'm thinking about leaving it unfinished.

From this, I surmise it's a letter written by the sheriff. Is it written to the PC? Is it particularly 5e?

Really confident people prefer face to face contact about these sorts of things. I'd not expect her to write a letter when the PC is in her town. But perhaps as part of her conflicted personality?
Is it written before or after she nearly killed/were killed by the PCs?

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-09, 10:50 AM
From this, I surmise it's a letter written by the sheriff. Is it written to the PC? Is it particularly 5e?

Really confident people prefer face to face contact about these sorts of things. I'd not expect her to write a letter when the PC is in her town. But perhaps as part of her conflicted personality?
Is it written before or after she nearly killed/were killed by the PCs?

5E
You are correct. Sorry, I did mean a letter from the sheriff to the player. It's part of her inner conflict. She was probably going to throw away the letter, but the party arrived sooner than expected.

She's still alive and escaped. She wrote it before the fight/confrontation. It's left behind on her desk.

Regitnui
2016-04-09, 11:34 AM
Most of it should be crossed out, maybe even multiple times. The PC's name should be on top of the page, and one of the few things clearly legible. A few snippets under the strikes:

I wish we had

feel I could be better

You deserve someone better

Take it from someone who tried their hand at these before; emotional and indecisive.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-09, 12:12 PM
Most of it should be crossed out, maybe even multiple times. The PC's name should be on top of the page, and one of the few things clearly legible. A few snippets under the strikes:

Take it from someone who tried their hand at these before; emotional and indecisive.

Awesome input! Thank you!

Markoff Chainey
2016-04-09, 12:38 PM
I agree that a letter to the PC does not make too much sense..

how about a diary entry or maybe a +/- list to help her decide wether she will run off with the PC or lead him into a trap and kill him.

such a +/- list could be very funny...

Regitnui
2016-04-09, 01:00 PM
I agree that a letter to the PC does not make too much sense..

how about a diary entry or maybe a +/- list to help her decide wether she will run off with the PC or lead him into a trap and kill him.

such a +/- list could be very funny...

An organized pro-con list doesn't make much sense either for a chaotic (emotionally) character. Think of the 'love letter' like her ramblings as she's working through her feelings, not a coherent "I really like you and think we're meant to be together" message.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-09, 02:37 PM
An organized pro-con list doesn't make much sense either for a chaotic (emotionally) character. Think of the 'love letter' like her ramblings as she's working through her feelings, not a coherent "I really like you and think we're meant to be together" message.

Thank you. I took your advice. Should be fun when they meet again.