PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Darkness Domain

Belac93
2016-04-09, 11:39 AM
Darkness Domain
Shar, Tharizdun, The Shadow, Torog, Zehir, are all evil examples of Dark gods. The gods who live out of sight, who live in the eternal darkness of their home. They are not all bad though, with Grumbar, Dumathoin, Urogalan, and many gods of the sea and the earth being examples of good, or at least neutral ones. Not all darkness is bad, or so worshipers of these gods say...

Darkness Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells

1st
arms of Hadar, sleep

3rd
darkness, invisibility

5th
fear, hunger of Hadar

7th
Evard's black tentacles, greater invisibility

9th
mislead, passwall

Bonus Cantrip
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain the minor illusion cantrip.

Power of Darkness
Also starting at 1st level, you gain Darkvision out to 60 feet. If you already have darkvision, increase its range by 60 feet. In addition, you can see through magical darkness.

As long as you are in an area of dim light or darkness, you may have your AC equal your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier, regardless of what armour you are wearing. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Channel Divinity: Summon Darkness
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to destroy all light in the area around you.

As an action, you can present your holy symbol, and do one of 2 things.

You may either cast the darkness spell, centered on yourself, or you may extinguish one magical light source within 60 feet of you, as long as the slot used to cast it was no larger than half your cleric level. Magic items are considered to have a slot level of 1 if common, 3 if uncommon, 5 if rare, 7 if very rare, and 9 if legendary.

As an action, you may extinguish any light source no bigger than a campfire within 60 feet of you. This does not expend your channel divinity.

Protective Darkness
Starting at 6th level, when you are harmed, you can choose to use the harm inflicted on you against your opponent.

When you would be hit by an attack, you may immediately cast the darkness spell, centered on yourself, potentially giving disadvantage and causing the attack to miss you. You can use this power a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (a minimum of once). You regain all expended uses after a long rest.

Potent Spellcasting
Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to damage you deal with any cleric cantrip. In addition, you may have your cleric cantrips deal necrotic damage instead of their normal damage type.

One with the Dark
Starting at 17th level, you gain ultimate mastery over the dark. You can concentrate on a number of darkness spells equal to your Wisdom modifier -1 (minimum of 1), without it counting towards the number of spells you can concentrate on. In addition, you can never lose concentration on a darkness spell that you are in the area of.

Also, you may have a number of allies equal to your Wisdom modifier who, as long as they are in the area of a darkness spell you created, can see through it as though it was only dim light.

JNAProductions
2016-04-09, 12:32 PM
This is a ridiculously synergistic domain. To the point where I think it's overpowered.

Pyon
2016-04-09, 12:52 PM
I was actually reading this and you have to be really careful with the wording... The way you worded Power of Darkness it actually only gives your the ability to say "your AC equals your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier, regardless of what armour you are wearing. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit." while you are in dim light, which is actually a very weak ability :P

Final Hyena
2016-04-09, 01:22 PM
One thing that hit me is that every single spell on the list is not normally on the clerics spell list, I might be wrong but I didn't think that was normal. Especially as they're all rather strong.

Belac93
2016-04-09, 01:30 PM
I was actually reading this and you have to be really careful with the wording... The way you worded Power of Darkness it actually only gives your the ability to say "your AC equals your Dexterity modifier + your Wisdom modifier, regardless of what armour you are wearing. You can use a shield and still gain this benefit." while you are in dim light, which is actually a very weak ability :P
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix that.

One thing that hit me is that every single spell on the list is not normally on the clerics spell list, I might be wrong but I didn't think that was normal. Especially as they're all rather strong.
I believe the Arcane domain doesn't have any cleric spells on it.

This is a ridiculously synergistic domain. To the point where I think it's overpowered.

I was a little worried about that. I feel like especially the 6th and 17th level abilities need to be nerfed, but I'm not exactly sure how. I feel like maybe reducing the amount of darkness spells you can concentrate on, and getting rid of the ability to not lose concentration maybe should be removed. Do you have any suggestions?

It was made to have a lot of synergies, but I think it was done too well, and made it too good.

One balance point about it, is that you hinder your allies until 17th level, unless they are all darkness clerics or warlocks.

Final Hyena
2016-04-09, 01:49 PM
I believe the Arcane domain doesn't have any cleric spells on it.
I'm certain that 4/10 of them are on the cleric spell list.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 02:16 AM
So you can see further through magical thsn nornal darkness. Cap the magical on 30ft. More feedback will come but it seems super OP