PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Common gods modification to divine classes

soldersbushwack
2016-04-09, 12:33 PM
I was thinking that a setting that had much more common gods might add something like the following class features to divine classes. This change allows for minor saints to be worshipped and for very advanced followers of gods to go rogue and strike out on their own.

Here I'm using FOOBAR as a metasyntactic variable for the class.

Kelipot

You worship some object or creature (a kelipot) that grants you access to divine power.

Your kelipot has a limited number of portfolios and may have a code of conduct that it enforces.

All class features you gain through the FOOBAR class are restricted by the nature of your kelipot's portfolios and its code of conduct.

A FOOBAR who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his kelipot loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons.

Divine Source

At 7th level, you form a deeper connection to your kelipot and you become akin to a minor saint.

Pick two of your kelipot's portfolios.

While you maintain devotion to your kelipot other people can use you as a kelipot as appropriate for your portfolio, any code of conduct you may impose on them and any code of conduct imposed on you by your kelipot. This process is automatic and unconscious and can only be stopped by your death.

Gnosis

At 13th level, you achieve a state of gnosis and become a minor deity.

This class feature is not bound by the restrictions of the kelipot class feature.

Pick two portfolios from the portfolio list.

Other people can worship you as a god and use you as a kelipot as appropriate for your portfolio and any code of conduct you may impose on them. This process is automatic and unconscious and can only be stopped by your death.

You can also use yourself as a kelipot or in addition to a kelipot you already use and may pick class features as appropriate to the portfolios of either you or your kelipot.

Gildedragon
2016-04-09, 01:04 PM
This is interesting.
If 3.Xing this I'd add the outsider (native) descriptor to the minor deification. The saint thing is good; has synergy with leadership, though I'd delay it for a couple levels.

soldersbushwack
2016-04-09, 01:32 PM
Just realized I should use "he" and "his" language and not "you" and "your".

I dislike 3.5's classification of everything important into an outsider type. Why can't a construct be a god? Why can't an undead abomination be a god? Why can't a hideous aberration be a god?

Also, outsider (native) is just dumb and I have no idea what it is supposed to mean. I see no important differences between an outsider (native) and a humanoid.

I might come up with more intermediate steps around Divine Source and Gnosis and move Divine Source up a bit in level.

Gildedragon
2016-04-09, 03:11 PM
I dislike 3.5's classification of everything important into an outsider type. Why can't a construct be a god? Why can't an undead abomination be a god? Why can't a hideous aberration be a god?

Also, outsider (native) is just dumb and I have no idea what it is supposed to mean. I see no important differences between an outsider (native) and a humanoid.
It has to do with the cosmology of D&D: outsiders have no spirit-body duality: their bodies are their spirit & viceversa, so their ideals and identity are woven into them. In this case, though, I feel that makes a lot of sense: they are one with their ideals.
Native is for their safety: ie revivability and banishment.
Though with a so vibrant divine landscape as the one posited by this class: straight up outsider might work.