PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eldritch Knight Rune Scribe

ZenBear
2016-04-09, 03:18 PM
Is it worth losing 4th level spells known, Improved War Magic, a couple ASIs and a 4th attack?

I'm building my character as a lvl 2 Fighter with 14 STR 12 DEX 14 CON 12 INT 12 WIS 10 CHA. With VHuman I can get 15 STR 13 DEX and either Heavy Armor Master or Tavern Brawler to round out STR 16. I'm taking Arcana as my bonus skill for Rune Scribe prereqs. Defense FS and a versatile weapon for easy grappling (Enlarge ftw!) and material/somatic components before War Caster at 4. INT +2 at 6 and probably again at 8 but I'm not 100% on that. I think lvl9 is a good point to start taking Rune Scribe levels all the way, then jump back to Fighter with Arcane Charge as my new capstone.

Thoughts?

BelowAvgNinja
2016-04-09, 04:10 PM
Depends on if your DM is planning on homebrewing more Master Runes (ie Legendaries) than are included in the initial UA. I felt Rune Scribe was kind of lackluster without more advanced runes.

Edit: Fixed typo, removed 'Rube Scribe' unintentional burn.

BelowAvgNinja
2016-04-09, 07:21 PM
I spoke too soon: rereading the Rune descriptions, getting resistances and getting to choose a 24 hour non-concentration magic weapon spell equivalent + damage type change could be really good for an Eldritch Knight so long as you don't wind up going against enemies with resistance to that damage type consistently. Plus you get more spell slot progression from 5 levels of Rune Scribe than you would if you stayed Eldritch Knight the whole way. I wouldn't worry about losing the 4th attack per round, since most campaigns don't hit lvl 20 anyway.

Drackolus
2016-04-09, 08:07 PM
Stray thought - 5ek, 5runescribe, 10 artificer (not necessarily that order).

ZenBear
2016-04-09, 08:43 PM
Edit: Fixed typo, removed 'Rube Scribe' unintentional burn.
rofl

I spoke too soon: rereading the Rune descriptions, getting resistances and getting to choose a 24 hour non-concentration magic weapon spell equivalent + damage type change could be really good for an Eldritch Knight so long as you don't wind up going against enemies with resistance to that damage type consistently. Plus you get more spell slot progression from 5 levels of Rune Scribe than you would if you stayed Eldritch Knight the whole way. I wouldn't worry about losing the 4th attack per round, since most campaigns don't hit lvl 20 anyway.
What level spell slots would I get with this combo?

Stray thought - 5ek, 5runescribe, 10 artificer (not necessarily that order).
Interesting! I feel like if you're going to go EK you at least want the level 7 feature War Magic, and then go 8 for the ASI. 6 levels of Artificer gives you one Infuse, buff your armor with that and your weapon with Rune Scribe. So 8 EK/6 Artificer/5 Rune Scribe (not necessarily in that order) and then 1 level left over. Perhaps Rogue for Expertise, Fighter 9 for 1 use of Indomitable or Wizard 7 for a little more spell progression.

Drackolus
2016-04-09, 09:15 PM
Ek multiclass would get their next spell slot increase at 9 anyway. Round down for mc.

ZenBear
2016-04-09, 10:12 PM
Subquestion 1:
Do Rune Scribe SLA attacks like Combustion and Overwhelming Strike benefit from Eldritch Strike? They seem to be a separate entity from "spells" so I don't know if an enemy I attack would have disadvantage to the save.

Subquestion 2:
How about Arcane Trickster/Rune Scribe?

BelowAvgNinja
2016-04-10, 12:09 AM
Subquestion 1:
Do Rune Scribe SLA attacks like Combustion and Overwhelming Strike benefit from Eldritch Strike? They seem to be a separate entity from "spells" so I don't know if an enemy I attack would have disadvantage to the save.

RAW no, they work similarly to Paladin Smite ability where you're burning the slot but not actually casting a spell. Since UA is all non-final and subject to change anyway it'd be worth asking your DM. A lenient one might allow it.

ZenBear
2016-04-19, 08:02 PM
Game is tomorrow! Starting out with a lvl2 Fighter, vhuman Tavern Brawler, defense fighting style w/ warhammer, 16 str 13 dex 14 con 12 int 12 wis 10 cha. Taking War Caster at 4 for Booming Blade AoOs. At 6 I'm thinking Sentinel to protect the Moon Druid, Blood Hunter, and the Necromancer's minions. Perhaps it's not necessary since I already have so many uses for my reaction? At 8 +2 int to qualify for Rune Scribe. Not sure what spell to take at lvl7 since my int is only 12-14. I like Shatter but I don't think I will get much use out of it against enemies, mostly just breaking doors and other inanimate objects. Darkness maybe?

Now it gets interesting. At 9 I dip Rogue for Expertise in Athletics (and Investigation, just for fun). Between this, Tavern Brawler and Enlarge I will be the greatest jujutsu master evar!

After that, all 5 levels of Rune Scribe. With my newly gained Investigative talent, it should be easy to decipher the esoteric language of rune magic. The +2 stat boost is mobile, but it will probably sit forever on str or con.

Once that's done I finish out with Artificer 6. Background of Clan Craftsman makes this a perfect fit. Last ASI either boosts int or a Feat, maybe Mage Slayer.

Thoughts?