PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed Strike characters?

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-22, 04:54 AM
I'm looking for some help building a character that focuses on Unarmed Strikes. I guess taking levels in Monk is the obvious choice, but I've heard that it's a weak class. I'm also looking for some way to work the Tome of Battle into this, since normal melee classes are really boring.
Flashy supernatural abilities don't fit well with the character concept, so please go light on the Fists Of +1 Throwing Returning Vorpal Keen.

EDIT: Also, um, high Dexterity would be good.

Behold_the_Void
2007-06-22, 05:00 AM
Tome of Battle has this lovely unarmed strike variant for the Swordsage. Lose weapon proficiencies, gain unarmed strike as monk, lose light armor proficiency.

Take maneuvers and stances as desired.

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-22, 05:07 AM
Whoa, hey, how did I miss that? Thanks!

Artemician
2007-06-22, 05:09 AM
As Behold_the_void said, Unarmed Strike Swordsage is by far the best class for unarmed fighting builds. You lose light armour proficiency to get Monk unarmed strike damage. Since you don't want Supernatural Stuff, you can focus on the Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, Setting Sun and Tiger Claw disciplines, which are Extraordinary, as opposed to the Supernatural Desert Wind and Shadow Hand disciplines.

There's no need for any furhter optimization from there, you can just go Swordsage 20 and hit everything silly.

Alternatively, you could aim to go into the Kensai, Dervish, or Fist of Zuoken prestige Classes, from Monk. They are all solid PrCs which will bring your power level up.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-22, 05:27 AM
Fists Of [I]+1 Throwing Returning Vorpal Keen.
Fists of throwing? I'd like to see that :smallsmile: perhaps you're a warforged with detachable hands?

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-22, 05:36 AM
Fists of throwing? I'd like to see that :smallsmile: perhaps you're a warforged with detachable hands?

That, or the most hardcore Monk EVER.

"Just to prove how hardcore I am? Yeah, I'm going to SEPARATE my fist and just kind of FLING it at you. And then it'll come back to me! Sure it'll be a bloody mess? Do I care? NO!"

... I think I just got a new character concept.

wait... throwing doesn't have return does it? Either way, it's still harsh.

Wardog
2007-06-22, 05:48 AM

"Just to prove how hardcore I am? Yeah, I'm going to SEPARATE my fist and just kind of FLING it at you. And then it'll come back to me! Sure it'll be a bloody mess? Do I care? NO!"

Like this guy?

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/ehonda-100handslap.gif

Starsinger
2007-06-22, 05:53 AM
Doesn't either the monster manual or savage species say that like, Trolls can detach limbs and fling them? If so, Trolls could do that Throwing, Returning unarmed strike thing.

Of course, the real answer is, be E. Honda

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-22, 06:06 AM
Like this guy?

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/ehonda-100handslap.gif

http://tsgk.captainn.net/dld.php?s=snes&f=streetfighter2turbo_ehonda_sheet.png

Or rayman (http://www.alicell.com/images/gameloft/550_rayman3.jpg)... :smallbiggrin:

(Kensai FTW!)

Wow. That would be... mind-bogglingly hardcore. I totally reverse the stance I took in my first post.

Artemician
2007-06-22, 06:37 AM
Or rayman (http://www.alicell.com/images/gameloft/550_rayman3.jpg)... :smallbiggrin:

(Kensai FTW!)

Wow. That would be... mind-bogglingly hardcore. I totally reverse the stance I took in my first post.

Heh.. combine Kensai with Dervish and Versatile Unarmed Strike for maximum WIN.

The monk unsteadily pulls himself to his feet, clutching the gaping whole in his side. Spitting out blood, he speaks softly, "Truly.. the toughest servant, eh? Just as.. strong as the legends make you out to be. Guess I'd.. better pull up my socks."

As he speaks, his fists ignite and burn with a silver flame. With a manic look in his eye, he rips off his death-mask and screams "Bankai! Kill! Kill everything in sight, Crazy Vorpal Flaming Teleporting Fists of Distance!**"

As you watch in a mixture of horror and fascination, his fists separate themselves from his body and fly towards you, spinning and humming like a blender gone mad and bent on vengeance.

**This is in English because I don't know Japanese for 'Crazy Vorpal Flaming Teleporting Fists of Distance'.
Also, this guy is obviously chaotic, but I don't really care.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-22, 08:28 AM
The feat that lets you fling bodyparts requires Regeneration. It's in Savage Species.

Tengu
2007-06-22, 08:35 AM

Robo! (if you don't know what I mean, play Chrono Trigger)

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-22, 08:37 AM
Looky here! (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=757496)

Person_Man
2007-06-22, 10:18 AM
Swordsage is the obvious choice.

If you decide to do Monk, Disciple of the Eye (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=2) is quite a potent PrC. Monk 6/Disciple of the Eye 5/Avenging Executioner 5 with the Frightful Presence feat is hilarious.

Frostrager (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040911a&page=3) also works well if you can convince your arcane caster to take Energy Substitution and dump Cold Fireballs in the middle of combat.

I have a Monk 2/Hexblade 3/Blackguard 3/Deepwarden 2/Kensai 10 build that's essentially immune to everything. (High Saves, Mettle, Evasion, 250+ hit points, 40ish AC). The problem is that he really isn't effective until at least 15thish level, when his full combo kicks in.

And there's always the King of Smack gold standard, though that's psionic claws, not fists. But it can usually fit into any Monk-ish fluff you have planned.

Tweekinator
2007-06-22, 10:23 AM
The ToB has a feat called "Superior Unarmed Strike". It gives you unarmed strike progression based on either your level or your hit die that isn't quite as good as a monk's. But you can wear armor and aren't restricted in alignment.

Leon
2007-06-22, 10:47 AM
The ToB has a feat called "Superior Unarmed Strike". It gives you unarmed strike progression based on either your level or your hit die that isn't quite as good as a monk's. But you can wear armor and aren't restricted in alignment.

If you plan on Unarmed Attacks being your "bread & Butter" then this one is essential

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-06-22, 10:57 AM
There is another one that is rather hilarious; is the following:

Fighter 2/Barbarian 5/Frostrager 5/Frenzied Berserker 10

You get Rage, Frenzy, the Cold subtype when raging, the ability to beat down anything in your path. The downside is that it is feat intensive; with a single flaw though; you can have the full class listings and also Shock Trooper and Cometary Collision (another personal Favorite). You may also be able to fit Improved Grapple in there.

Frostrager is based on unarmed combat in the wastes of the North. You can throw in the Dragonblooded type with the Arctic Dwarf variant in Unearthed Arcana; and you have yourself an Avalanche.

Also if you are going Unarmed Strike; you should get an Amulet of Natural Attacks; that is a 600gp item that allows you to enchant all of your natural attacks as if they were manufactured weapons. It is better than wasting a feat on Hands as Weapons, and also can be attuned to another character if needed. The item is from Savage Species.

Frostrager is from Frostburn, and Frenzied Berserker is from the Complete Warrior.

FireSpark
2007-06-22, 11:06 AM
I don't about all of you, but I have built a Fighter-based unarmed stiker. Never need to draw a weapon, can't disarmed (though beware of vorpal weapons), has a better BAB progression than the monk (not mention ZERO class restrictions), and throuw in TWF and you doubleyour attacks. Not as many attacks as a monk, not quite as powerful (but can be offset with a few feats), AND I'm coming at you wearing heavy armor. Not a bad build for tank.

Telonius

(Kensai FTW!)

Lich with a couple levels of monk, maybe?

skywalker
Tome of Battle has this lovely unarmed strike variant for the Swordsage. Lose weapon proficiencies, gain unarmed strike as monk, lose light armor proficiency.

Take maneuvers and stances as desired.

What page is it on?

Behold_the_Void
2007-06-22, 03:47 PM
What page is it on?

Page 20 under "Adaptation"

Neon Knight
2007-06-22, 04:14 PM
If you have monk levels, Superior Unarmed Strike treats you as a Monk 4 levels higher for purposes of unarmed damage progression. Doesn't make monk worth it, but it does let you get a bit more mileage if you do end up with monk levels.

Unarmed Swordsage is better overall.

Curmudgeon
2007-06-23, 03:50 AM
I like unarmed strike, but I wouldn't play a Monk. Instead go for the Fanged Ring (from Dragon Magic) which grants
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike)
Then you can qualify for Superior Unarmed Strike without having to take another feat. Since this feat basically gives you the unarmed damage progression of a small Monk, and Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) treats your unarmed damage as from a creature one size larger, you'll get the unarmed damage of a medium Monk of your character level (up to level 19).

After getting the unarmed strike with one item and one feat, think of ways to increase your damage further. Personally I like going Rogue with max ranks in Tumble and Use Magic Device, and the Craven feat (from Champions of Ruin). You should get invisible (from a ring or spell), and have an ally who'll help flank enemies. Then you can charge your hands with a touch attack spell from a wand, and add all of the following damage together when you hit unseen/flanking:
Medium Monk unarmed damage
STR bonus
Touch attack spell damage
Sneak attack damage
+1 point per character level

Kioran
2007-06-23, 04:13 AM
If you have monk levels, Superior Unarmed Strike treats you as a Monk 4 levels higher for purposes of unarmed damage progression. Doesn't make monk worth it, but it does let you get a bit more mileage if you do end up with monk levels.

Unarmed Swordsage is better overall.

Do take the Standard two-level dip in Monk and take the feat - you get 1d8 unarmed strike damage, powerful saves, Monk-AC if unarmored, Evsion and two Bonus Feats. That does something.....and only costs you one point of BAB.
Okay, it canīt keep up with the book of hideous cheating/ToB in the long run but still.......this is viable.

Damionte
2007-06-23, 02:53 PM
A dip into the monk class though isn't a bad thing. The Monk doesn't suck throughout it's tree. The fiorst 4-6 levels of Monk stand up well to most melee classes. They just blow overall as a 20 lvl class. Like the fighter. 4 levels of fighter and you're doing just great. You just wouldn't take a fighter to lvl 20.

You could even try a Fighter/Monk hybrid. Then transition into either a prestige class, or use somethign liek the Swordsage as if it were a prestige class.

Monk/C;eric/Sacred fist is also a great combination.

I recently made a Monk/Cleric/Warlocke/Eldritch disciple/Sacred Fist that really rocks once he comes into his powers. He fights better than a stand up monk but does suffer from MAD and a relatively low AC. But offensively he can hold his own, while still able to throw fireballs like he's from streetfighter due to his warlock side, and can still hold down the healer role as well. A good 5th or 6th party member.

Curmudgeon
2007-06-24, 09:08 AM
Do take the Standard two-level dip in Monk and take the feat - you get 1d8 unarmed strike damage This is a spectacularly bad idea. With this approach you'll never advance your unarmed damage further than the 6th level monk value, whereas without the Monk levels Superior Unarmed Strike will yield more damage after level 11. If you're only going to take a few Monk levels you should forget the feat and instead get a Monk's Belt. Or follow my suggestion above and get 2d8 unarmed damage starting at level 16, with no Monk levels at all.

Neon Knight
2007-06-24, 12:03 PM
I just thought of something:

If a Swordsage using the Unarmed Variant takes Superior Unarmed Strike, does he count as 4 levels higher for purposes of unarmed damage? The suggested Unarmed Swordsage variant has the same unarmed damage progression as a monk. Do you think this would be unreasonable/reasonable?

If your DM allows the above, then forget monk entirely.

Seffbasilisk
2007-06-24, 12:26 PM
Go Monk/Kensai if you really want Rocketfists. Take Versatile Unarmed Strike to be able to switch the damage to piercing.

Throwing +1
Teleporting +1
Burning +2
Explosive (ranged) +3
Clouting +3

You can then throw your fists, for unarmed damage in piercing, +1d6 fire, and force a reflex save vs catching on fire, then cause 2d4 damage in a 5ft radius of the hit (reflex for 1/2), then force a fortitude save or they go back 10ft/fall prone if they can't move, and your fists teleport back onto your hands afterwards.

And you get a +2 to initiative if your fists were on fire when the fight started.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-25, 11:17 AM
Returning

This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown.

I've never seen anything on Kensai that says you can place abilities that cannot normally be placed on an item of the appropriate type.:smallconfused:

Inyssius Tor
2007-06-25, 11:23 AM
Whaa?

The returning special property cannot be placed on a weapon that cannot be thrown.

The throwing special property allows any weapon to be thrown.

The Kensai prestige class allows you to enchant your unarmed strikes.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-25, 11:39 AM
Whaa?

The returning special property cannot be placed on a weapon that cannot be thrown.

The throwing special property allows any weapon to be thrown.

The Kensai prestige class allows you to enchant your unarmed strikes.

Ok, I retract that. Still think it's crazy that they even had a "throwing" property to begin with. Crazy flying greatswords.:smalleek:

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-25, 12:01 PM
It gets better. The monk's entry on unarmed strikes says that any part of the body can be an unarmed strike, and list a couple, including headbutts. Yes, Headbutts. So you can, as a Kensai, enchant your head. My favorite so far is Throwing, Firey Burst, Returning Head +1, with a hat of disguse keyed to make your head look like a pumpkin.

AtomicKitKat
2007-06-26, 04:01 AM
Fluffwise, I'd rule that you go all Dhalsim (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhalsim).:smallbiggrin:

the_tick_rules
2007-06-26, 09:42 AM
improved natural attack from monster manual and superior unarmred strike from book of nine swords are great feats to pick to really bring some unarmed pain.