PDA

View Full Version : TurtleLightComics

gem77s
2005-03-09, 07:20 AM
www.turtlelightcomics. All spiffy and new.

Wooo, dreams do come true.

Hey how long did Rich know he wanted to do web toons? Did the mood just strike him one day or did he doodle for a long long time?

pumpkinetics
2005-03-10, 03:51 AM
Hey how long did Rich know he wanted to do web toons? Did the mood just strike him one day or did he doodle for a long long time?

Well, as he said over a year ago...

Waaaaaay back when I was about 12, I used to create a tiny handmade comic book I called "Mr. Demon". It was pretty stupid, but it used stick figures very much like the OOTS characters. I would make new ones every week or so and pass them around to other kids. Anyway, that died off when I went to high school, and then to art college. And after college, I stopped playing D&D for about 6 years.

When I finally came back with the release of D&D 3E, I started with my first campaign needing a whole bunch of bandit miniatures. My paltry miniature collection didn't have them, so I sat at work one afternoon and used Adobe Illustrator to whip up a few stick figure bandits in the "Mr. Demon" stick figure style. I put them on little paper cutouts and I loved them, though my players were mixed. The next week, I made up stick figure minis for the PCs, and every week thereafter I created more and more paper cut outs. They became kind of a trademark of my campaign.

When I started this website, one of my first things to do was get a message board. Ray found YaBB, and installed it. But it came with a truly horrible set of ugly pixelated avatars, many of which were copyrighted images that shouldn't have been there. After some initial struggles with what to do, I came up with the idea of taking some of the stick figure minis and using them for avatars. Everyone loved them, so I made more and more from old minis.

I wanted to find something to draw people to the site regularly, and Ray pointed out that in a way, the stick figures were the "identity" of my site. So I came up with the idea of doing a comic strip based on the stick figures, and the Order of the Stick was born--just 17 years after I first draw a Mr. Demon comic book.

I hope that answers your question.

gem77s
2005-03-10, 04:42 AM
Hey just liike me.

Was my site hard to navigate. A lot of people said itwas.

Im fixing it.