PDA

View Full Version : How to introduce magic weapons or items

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-09, 08:59 PM
How do you guys introduce magic items? I don't like the idea of explicitly saying, "here's a magic sword!"

But if I don't tell them, they wouldn't know, right?

CaptAl
2016-04-09, 09:12 PM
Usually, if I'm introducing a magical item, I'll pay attention to describing how it looks. My players are huge fans of the detect magic ritual. They usually haul everything together at the end of the day and cast over the pile. Then go through figuring out what they have and divying up the good stuff.

IME a line or two detailing the intricate carvings, or the odd smell of sulfur clinging to an item is enough to get the average player ready to investigate the item a little closer.

Zman
2016-04-09, 09:14 PM
How do you guys introduce magic items? I don't like the idea of explicitly saying, "here's a magic sword!"

But if I don't tell them, they wouldn't know, right?

Describe it in a very unique way. For instance, when my geoup fought an Orc Chief I described the massive axe with a rust red blade as if it was forever stained with blood. Upon touching the weapon they felt strong, powerful, Tex.

My group is pretty good at using Detect Magic to scan loot, lol. Makes it easier on them.

JackPhoenix
2016-04-09, 09:28 PM
Same here. I don't explain that the enemy weapon is magical, perhaps it have unique look (wererat gnome had a spear made from one piece of dark red material that looked like solid blood). Perhaps they saw its use (warforged fighter had a flaming sword). In some cases it's not apparent, and they need to use Detect Magic to discover the piece of equipment is magical (a crystal tiara bard got as a reward for saving a collector's life...the previous owner wasn't even aware of its powers).

They actually missed some stuff, both hidden (magic ring in gang/cult lair, they just haven't searched the room...that actually happens a lot, they are pretty unpredictable in which rooms they search and which they ignore) and apparent (kobold sorcerer's magic wand, it was carved to look like three-headed dragon, and they saw him using it to breathe frost at a kobold ally of the characters, they ignored it and left it on the sorcerer's corpse).

It's not a big deal if they miss something... this is not 3.5, where magic items were pretty much mandatory to having an effective character.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-09, 09:48 PM
K thanks. I figured I'd need to describe individual items, just didn't know if there was a more suave way to do it...

Foxhound438
2016-04-09, 11:51 PM
meanwhile, I'm over here like

"And this guy's sword sparks lightning with every swing, searing the bodies of the kingdom's men as he fells each one with a single blow"

such subtle, many sneaky, wow.

manny2510
2016-04-10, 12:22 AM
All my dragons use +3 Greatswords, So when defeated my players get magic items. That aside give bad guys the magic weapons so when the blade starts eating at their marrow they know what's wrong.