PDA

View Full Version : [Storytime] Your cheesiest/luckiest 5e experiences.

Zethus
2016-04-10, 01:06 AM
Just finished a session. This is what happened.

Just so you know, I decided to leave my comfort zone here and play someone very unlike me; a very persuasive, suspicious and greedy neat-freak of a Bard, who's an extremely good liar.

The party consists of a Barbarian, a Druid, a Monk and a Bard (me, and I'll use 'I' to designate what my PC does as well), all of us were level 5. We were hired to go kill a vampire. Guy who hires us gives us some gold to go silver our weapons in a huge capitol with a huge bazaar in town. There are like 15 smithies and shops just dealing with weapons around. I wander from the group while they're fighting a horse-master's son for some free horses to go get weapons (they're orcs, love to fight). I decide to save some gold and lie about a friend having money just outside and that I'll have the money in just a second. Roll a 30 because I'm a Bard (roll 19+5 (20 Cha)+6 (Expertise) with Advantage (Actor feat)), get free silver Rapier. Since I (my character, specifically, since I was actually super paranoid at this point) feel so proud of myself for pulling that stunt off, I decide to do it again (at a different shop, obviously) and in the end I never rolled below a 28 for some reason (and I have terrible luck, usually) and managed to get more than enough equipment for my entire party, all either silver, silvered, or silver-lined (including 4 suits of Studded Leather armor and 150 silver bolts). I meet up with the party and give them all the stuff I put in our room at the inn. They're extremely suspicious of me but don't argue.

We're about to leave at midnight and a guard patrol is coming toward us, still a ways off. I try to hide behind some foliage and buildings since they haven't actually seen us yet. I roll a Nat 20. We leave shortly after and I decide to wear a mask in town from now on.

Turns out they hadn't gotten me a horse since I wasn't with them, so I rode with our Barbarian, who had an extremely long and messy beard, complete with literal spiderwebs and leaves in it. I (again, my character only) am reasonably disgusted and try to cut the beard without anyone noticing. I roll another Nat 20. Both the DM and I are in tears at this point. He's trying hard not to give it away and we're both amazed that I've rolled so high tonight (usually my average roll is about an 8). No one notices and I switch rides.

The party sees a bat above us but they don't care. I attempt to shoot the bat with disadvantage (night and it's far away) and hit. The DM seems a bit flustered now. Bat turns into a vampire and falls to the ground, prone. Roll initiative, our monk goes first. Monk gets on top of the vamp and attacks, uses Stunning Strike. The vampire fails the save. We proceed to beat the vampire up with our silver weapons and the vampire fails the Stunning Strike save again, but uses its Legendary Resistance to break free. Then the vampire gets grappled and stun-locked. We proceed to totally cheese the entire fight, which lasted 8 rounds. The DM is weeping at this point, but the vamp goes into mist form. Druid and I attack it with our magic, the vamp fails all saving throws. DM is crying. We ask what's wrong and it turns out that the vampire boss we were supposed to be going to kill and that we weren't supposed to be able to hit it. No one noticed the Barbarian's beard yet.

MFW.
https://images-1.discordapp.net/.eJwVyssNwyAMANBdGICPHRrINoggg0QAgXOqsnvT69P7intWc YjMPNah1FlW7POUi_sMlCT1TjWFUZaM_VKBOcR8pcZLmY8B8Nq BNV4bg-Bfctbtdn8Rvd02RFXDTbk0cqD_HRw6lKOReH7SuSWJ.aQA2-KzXeqXL6OK58NzXK9tbsnM.png?width=400&height=161

What are your extremely lucky/cheesy D&D stories?

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 04:48 AM
Sounds as big fun. I've got some amazing stories but I'm currently busy

Gtdead
2016-04-10, 09:09 AM
Slightly out of topic since my luckiest dnd moment was in 3.5.

We were on a carriage under attack by 2 big wolves.

We were low level and the encounter was designed for us to escape, as my DM later told me. We shouldn't be able to kill the wolves in direct combat. Just try to slow them down and they would retreat after a while. We were supposed to come back later and investigate what makes these wolves so large.

I decided to go holywood style as a barbarian, and jump from the carriage to attack the wolves.
I rolled a natural 20 with power attack, critted and oneshotted the first wolf, and then I rolled a second 20 on the cleave attack, oneshotting the second.

Yea.. that was fun ;p

hymer
2016-04-10, 09:20 AM
I think the luckiest was the PCs that in their first real treasure haul found a randomly rolled Amulet of Health (con upped to 19 if below that). The cheesiness would have slipped in if someone had made a character with the intention of taking advantage of it, but that never happened.
Either that was the luckiest, or the level 2 rogue that killed something like five goblins successively from stealth, none of them getting a single action against her.

Zman
2016-04-10, 11:32 AM
A couple of weeks ago our bard rat ahead of the party, having just finished a boss level encounter(side quest, not actual boss) in an ancient keep and knocked down a door to find a wraith on the other side.

Wraith wins initiative, flies forward and attacks the wounded bard. I roll pretty well, as I'm rolling damage and tell him it has a Con Save he throws out a die and yells "cutting words!" And he also tosses out the save. Damage is high, I quickly figure out it is high enough to kill him outright with lowing his HP maximum to 0 as he botched the Con save. That cutting words die becomes very important, I originally assumed he couldn't succeed.... He rolled a 6, the only result that could have saved his life. He did, and instead of the Wraith ripping his soul out of his body, he instead takes no damage and is able to withdraw to his allies who dispatch the foe.

He got really lucky. This was after the other fight where the rogue failed a save vs the hound dragon's acid breath and Irolled below average damage, had I rolled a touch higher he was dead outright as well. It was a good day!

Iguanodon
2016-04-10, 11:54 AM
My wild magic sorcerer's personality could be summed up with the line, "I always knew I was special." He was an egotistical human noble who would come up with showy titles for himself and never believed he could ever be wrong. The world really did revolve around him. This experience fit his character so perfectly

One day we were fighting an avatar of a minor god (as you do), and I rolled a 1 on the wild magic surge table: roll again every turn for a minute. Here are my turns:

Fireball at my feet. This put me in single digits but it knocked out the ranger.
Auto-reincarnate on death. I taunted the avatar, who had mostly been ignoring us so far. It charged me and slipped on my ball bearings, then its breath weapon killed me with massive damage. No big deal, I'm a half-orc now.
This turn, I begin to glow with bright light and blind nearby creatures. I also cast a scorching ray this turn and had to roll again: Levitate targeted on myself.

At this point, I've just tripped a god with ball bearings, come back from death, and began to glow and hover. There were a few more rolls that I forget (I think I turned blue at some point before my reincarnation), but this was a pretty awesome coincidence. In the end, we didn't end up killing the god., but the party paladin renounced his god and began worshiping me instead (bad move, this may have been the most true neutral character I've ever played).

TL;DR: Wild magic is awesome.

pwykersotz
2016-04-10, 06:29 PM
A player of mine has a Light Cleric.

He's in a trapped room, poisoned, enlarged by a spell and unable to shrink, out of spells, too big to get out, single digit HP, pursued by multiple black puddings below, held aloft only by the party Wizard's fly spell which could fail at any moment as he's in combat with a Bone Devil, amidst razor sharp black spikes that he could easily impale himself against.

The Cleric just hit level 10 this session. Prays to Bahamut for Divine Intervention. Rolls exactly a 10. The purest form of happiness ensues. :smallsmile:

mgshamster
2016-04-10, 10:18 PM
I have two stories, both were way back in 2e (I've only done three sessions as a player for 5e so far - rest of the time as gm).

1) In the introduction session for our group (literally the first time this group got together to play), at level 1, we fought a group of orcs. One of them had a key that my character took - and none of us ever knew what it was for.

Fast forward nearly two years later in real life, playing every weekend. We're now level 5, going through some dungeon. We come across a random treasure chest that's locked, and none of us can pick locks. I mention that I happen to have this key, and no one else remembers why or how I got it. I reminded them all of that first session where we killed some orcs, and then they all remembered. The GM said it would be a 1 in 100 chance to work, and rolled a 100. The key opened the lock.

It then happened again 3 more times in that same dungeon (1 in a 100 chance, GM rolled a 100), in a row. Not in a row in that same moment, but the very next lock we came across, the key worked. And then again, and again. All from random rolling. I think it was across two or three sessions. The GM declared the key to be a skeleton key, it could open any lock.

2) A few years later I was playing a bard who worked primarily as a stage actor. He would often carry several rapiers on him at all times, because he would periodically go in to actor mode, draw a rapier, throw it to the ground for dramatic effect, draw another one, etc.. Or sometimes he would give one to someone else and challenge them to a mock dual. I was in a large group at this point, I think we had around 8 or 9 players.

Anyways, we were in a prison trying to rescue someone, and half the guards were undead. Zombies and skeletons and the like. We ended up getting surrounded by fifteen or twenty undead somehow, backed up by guards down the passageways. Massive melee going on.

At some point in the melee, I rolled a 1 - critical fumble. GM rolls on the critical fumble table (yup, we used to use those), and rolled "throw weapon, hit random combatant." We rolled to see who it hit, and it happened to hit the bad guy of the PC who was in the most dire need of help right at that moment, and the damage was enough to kill it. "Holy hell, that was amazing!" we all said. But it happened another two times that same battle! I would roll yet another 1, we got the exact same result on the critical fumble table (a 1 in 20 chance), and the random combatant I happened to hit was the bad guy fighting the character who was in the most need of help right at that moment, and I killed the guy.

It was declared that my bard was a master rapier thrower, and people started to believe that I carried multiple rapiers on me for reasons other than acting.

It also happened that every time I intentionally tried to throw my rapier, I only missed when I was the only witness (other characters were unconscious, or around the corner, or something - at one point half of them were turned to stone by a beholder). If there was a witness, I always happened to roll well enough to hit. So none of the other characters ever saw my character miss when a rapier left his hands - for whatever reason it may be. Thus proving that my bard was indeed a Master Rapier Thrower - in the eyes of everyone else, at least.

It was certainly true that I could claim, "No one ever witnessed my bard miss when a rapier left his hands."