PDA

View Full Version : How my goliath rogue went ranged with a rapier.

Socratov
2016-04-10, 02:56 AM
So, I don't know wether or not this has been discussed and detailed already, but this happened last night and I might as well share it.

So, my partymember Golly the Goliath Rogue (thief subclass) has taken the mobility feat. That means, with cunning action, Golly can now move 40' for a move action, use the attack action, use a bonus action through cunning action to dash away 40', without provoking AoO's (read the last line of the mobility feat). That's kind of a neat trick, right?

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 03:04 AM
So, I don't know wether or not this has been discussed and detailed already, but this happened last night and I might as well share it.

So, my partymember Golly the Goliath Rogue (thief subclass) has taken the mobility feat. That means, with cunning action, Golly can now move 40' for a move action, use the attack action, use a bonus action through cunning action to dash away 40', without provoking AoO's (read the last line of the mobility feat). That's kind of a neat trick, right?

That's why cunning action is great. I made a 6 con pally/rogue. Sniping but using your tactic to nova smites. I just went 30ft then disengage 30ft (movement between attacks oh yeah) without mobility but it works

Coffee_Dragon
2016-04-10, 07:50 AM
Not sure how it's a trick... it's what the feat does.

coredump
2016-04-10, 08:39 AM
That's why cunning action is great. I made a 6 con pally/rogue. Sniping but using your tactic to nova smites. I just went 30ft then disengage 30ft (movement between attacks oh yeah) without mobility but it works

That means no attack, no actions left.

Temperjoke
2016-04-10, 09:00 AM
A goliath rogue? o.o

"Hey, did you see something? I thought I saw something over there..." *rolls a perception check*

"Nope, must have been my imagination... hey, when did that large tree get put in over there?"

RickAllison
2016-04-10, 09:17 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about a Goliath who decided to throw rapier a like daggers...

Shouldn't be surprised about this. Heck, the Swashbuckler gets this ability built in!

Mellack
2016-04-10, 10:55 AM

I am glad you are enjoying your rogue, but it is not really a trick. Rogues are supposed to move in and out. That is one of the great uses of cunning action. Doesn't even require mobile. See a guy fighting one of your buddies. Take half move to get in. Sneak attack. Cunning action to disengage, then second half move to get back out.

Socratov
2016-04-10, 03:53 PM
A goliath rogue? o.o

"Hey, did you see something? I thought I saw something over there..." *rolls a perception check*

"Nope, must have been my imagination... hey, when did that large tree get put in over there?"

What's even finnier is the fact that this specific goliath has the hairstyle of an 80's hair metal bandmember and frequently dresses in pink.

Shenanigans are definitely present.

Also, it's not mine, but a friend of mine's. I play a halfling version of Jem as a wild magic sorcerer. Incredibly fun.

Not sure how it's a trick... it's what the feat does.

well, when combined with rogue with the extra dash action. I mean move more then twice normal medium creature's speed, and then also attack and run away without an attack of opportunity.

I think that if there ever was a feat designed for rogue, this is the one.

Coffee_Dragon
2016-04-10, 05:19 PM
I think that if there ever was a feat designed for rogue, this is the one.

No disagreement there, it was the starting feat for my variant human thief and I never regretted it. I do move-TWF-move more often than move-attack-dash, but the option is nice. For some reason it's usually rated as middling in rogue class guides, but I've seen it valued higher in guides for other classes.