PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.5] What character fits into this group?

ImSAMazing
2016-04-10, 04:37 AM
So, I am building a new character(lvl 4) for the following party(My last character died):

Rogue 3/Beguiler 1 Tibbit("The Skillmonkey")
Barbarian 1/Fighter 3 Water Orc("The Übercharger")
Cleric 4 Earth Dwarf("The Melee Cleric")

We use 32-points pointbuy, the WBL of a lvl 4 character(so 3600GP), and I must use the Tibbit Race. Surrogate Spellcasting(a 3.0 feat that wasn't updated to 3.5) is allowed in this game, so is every source of 3.5(Dragonmagzine, dungeonmagazine, all books, really everything). 1 flaw and 2 traits.

We most certainly need an arcane caster, or another role that I just can't see. Can you guys help me make a build that can fit into this party?

rrwoods
2016-04-10, 05:23 AM
Bog standard BFC wizard seems like it slots in pretty well to me.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 06:07 AM
Enough DPR, the defenses/healing are OK (could be a bit higher) as you say, arcane caster would help a lot. Bard could get some healing and has more HP but wizard/sorcerer would work

Amphetryon
2016-04-10, 06:24 AM
Aiming for Arcane Heirophant (Races of the Wild) might be fun and useful, here. For example, use Druid 1/Sorc 3 as your base. You'll be able to play or assist the party Face, supplement healing, provide BFC and flankers, and emphasize your party's apparent 'wild' theme. Obviously, Practiced Caster is necessary here.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-10, 06:27 AM
Aiming for Arcane Heirophant (Races of the Wild) might be fun and useful, here. For example, use Druid 1/Sorc 3 as your base. You'll be able to play or assist the party Face, supplement healing, provide BFC and flankers, and emphasize your party's apparent 'wild' theme. Obviously, Practiced Caster is necessary here.

The fun part is that ImSAMazing already had ideas for playing a druid 3 / wizard 1 and use arcane heirophant and mystic theurge

Amphetryon
2016-04-10, 06:28 AM
The fun part is that ImSAMazing already had ideas for playing a druid 3 / wizard 1 and use arcane heirophant and mystic theurge

I must have missed that in the first post.

ImSAMazing
2016-04-10, 06:52 AM
I must have missed that in the first post.

Because I haven't put it there. And I didnt because I dont think such a character would be fun to play.

Aegis013
2016-04-10, 02:24 PM
How about a Dragonfire Adept? You can use the invocation that immunizes your allies to your breath weapon, take Dragonborn (Heart aspect) and use Entangling Exhalation to BFC while dealing AoE damage to your foes, but not allies, and your dragonborn breath weapon to pile metabreath feats at your enemy once in awhile (I like Lingering and Clinging), then just use your DFA breath while it recharges.

Has a little utility, good BFC, and you get to spam damage at stuff.

Gildedragon
2016-04-10, 02:36 PM
wizard or artificer would be a good fit for the party: magic item crafting and blasting.

if wizard: go Mage of the Arcane Order
ask if you can adapt some sub level for tibbitness...

Troacctid
2016-04-10, 02:40 PM
How about a Psion? Tibbits work well with psionics because they can use them in cat form.

Since Dragon Magazine is allowed, you can even go Cerebremancer with the crazy broken Psychotheurgy feat, and maybe Cerebremetamagic.

Nifft
2016-04-10, 02:57 PM
We use 32-points pointbuy, the WBL of a lvl 4 character(so 3600GP), and I must use the Tibbit Race. Surrogate Spellcasting(a 3.0 feat that wasn't updated to 3.5) is allowed in this game, so is every source of 3.5(Dragonmagzine, dungeonmagazine, all books, really everything). 1 flaw and 2 traits.

We most certainly need an arcane caster, or another role that I just can't see. Can you guys help me make a build that can fit into this party?

How about a Psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm)? Tibbit seems like it would be a fine match for a Psion. They're generally not as broken as Wizards (... but if you're looking for broken then there's the well-known spell-to-power Erudite variant).

I've played both Telepath and Shaper, and both have been fun characters.

EDIT: ... pesky Shadowdancers ...

Troacctid
2016-04-10, 04:17 PM
(... but if you're looking for broken then there's the well-known spell-to-power Erudite variant).
You know, people always say that it's super broken, but I don't see it. Sure, you can get any spell, but you also get them later than the classes that normally get them, you have to spend XP, you can't prestige, and your unique powers per day restriction is not trivial and can seriously impact your versatility over an adventuring day, not to mention limiting your access to all-day buffs. In actual play, it seems like it would be pretty clunky. Having access to anything in your downtime is great, but if that's what you want, you're almost certainly better off with an Artificer. You're paying XP either way.

I mean, Convert Spell to Power is obviously ridiculously good value in exchange for only a single feat and some ranks in Spellcraft, and there are a few broken tricks with it, so in that sense I guess it is overpowered, but I dunno if it's more overpowered than, say, Linked Power or Psychotheurgy. And if you're using it the "fair" way, it's probably not that much better than an early-entry Cerebremancer.

Nifft
2016-04-10, 04:21 PM
In actual play, it seems like it would be pretty clunky. Well, in actual play, I'd usually prefer to play a Psion -- which is my main suggestion.

My point is simply that, if you need some specifically broken cheese, you can still get there via Psionics using this one weird trick (DMs hate him!)