PDA

View Full Version : 5E Summon Monster I-IX

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-10, 01:16 PM
I want to make the Summon monster spells for 1-9 fashioned after 3.5 spells, but obviously balanced for 5th edition.

If someone else has done it, I'd appreciate a link. If not, I'd love input. I'd rather falter on the side of slightly weak, rather than overpowered. I'll edit this post as I work on it. THANKS!

Random thoughts:
-I was thinking 1 minute duration concentration for 1-3, 10 minutes for 4-6, and 1 hour 7-9.
-for higher slots, I figured more monsters?
-I'd like to use random tables to determine the monster summoned, but would like input on this.

Example:
Summon Monster I
1st level conjuration
Range 60'
Components V, S, M (something flavorful or expensive, not consumed by the spell)
Duration Concentration, up to 1 minute

This spell summons an extraplanar creature (typically an outsider, elemental, or magical beast native to another plane). It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

The spell conjures one of the creatures from the 1st-level list on the accompanying Summon Monster table. [not sure whether or not to change the following sentence] You choose which kind of creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell.

A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

If your concentration is broken, the creature(s) doesn't disappear. Instead, you lose control of the summoned creature(s), it becomes hostile toward you and your companions, and it might attack. An uncontrolled creature can't be dismissed by you, and it remains for the spell's duration.

CR 1/2 or lower?
This would probably be
Shadow/rust monster/magmin/giant wasp/satyr/grey ooze
Thoughts?