PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Warshaper Build (edited with new build idea)

Arael666
2016-04-10, 03:06 PM
Hey there playground, reeeeeally need your help on this one.

So, I've joined a campaign and was asked to play a melee, since I haven't played one in at least 5 (probably more) years I decided to browse the net for some ideas, since being rusty and all that. While I was browsing I remembered a character that I found mostly amusing when I read AGC (http://agc.deskslave.org/comic_viewer.html?goNumber=999999), the Rugaru Jill played in the Evil campaign.

For those who don't know the character, this is his build as stated by the autor

Race: Changeling
Lvl Class BaB F/ R/ W HP FEATURES (F=feat):
1 Totemist +0 +2/+2/ 0 8 ImprovedInitiative(F), WildEmpathy, Illiteracy
2 Totemist +1 +1/+1/ 0 5 Totem Chakra Bind (+1 capacity)
3 Barbarian +1 +2/ 0/ 0 7 CombatReflexes(F), +10 Spd(Med armor), Rage 1/day
4 Fighter +1 +2/ 0/ 0 6 WeaponFocus(Claw)(F)
5 Warblade +1 +2/ 0/+0 7 WeaponAptitude,BattleClarity(+Int to Ref)
6 Warshaper +0 +2/ 0/ 0 5 BonusEssentia(F), MorphicImmunity(Stuns/Criticals)(Ex)
7 Warshaper +1 +1/ 0/ 0 5 MorphicWeapons(Su), MorphicBody(Su, +4 Str and Con)
8 Warshaper +1 0/+1/+1 5 MorphicReach(Su, +5 foot reach)
9 Warshaper +1 +1/ 0/ 0 5 SteadfastConcentration(F), MorphicHealing(Su, FastHeal 2)
10 OccultSlayer+1 0/ 0/+2 5 MagicalDefense(+1 saves vs spell), WeaponBond(Su, +1d6 dmg)
11 OccultSlayer+1 0/ 0/+1 5 ViciousStrike(Ex), MindOverMagic(Su, 1/day)
The character mostly focuses on chackra binding spynx claw to get the 2 natural weapons, using moment of perfect mind and action before tought to ignore his ref and will saves and (ab)using warshaper abilities like extended reach and fast healing

I kinda copied the first levels of the build, only changing the one level in fighter for a second level in barbarian so I could get improved trip (I always tought that character was lacking some form o BF control). The thing is, I'm not too keen on going for ocult slayer (since it's not an evil campaign and I will be cooperating with my party) and I also don't think the 5th level in warshaper is that important. I checked the prestiges classes in Tome of battle and Magic of Incarnum so I could pregress either my meldshaping or my blade magic, but none appealed to me. So far my options are restricted to frenzied berserker for rage stacking or fist of the forest, also for rage stacking but with the perk that I get to add my con to ac.

I don't think I'll have many feats to spare after qualifying for any of those prestige classes, but if you have any tips I'm eager to hear.

Dread_Head
2016-04-10, 03:31 PM
You already have Totemist and Barbarian levels so Totem Rager would be an obvious fit, progressing both your meldshaping and rage abilities. Or if you want to expand your role a little Umbral Disciple brings some nice tricks to the table.

Arael666
2016-04-10, 03:35 PM
You already have Totemist and Barbarian levels so Totem Rager would be an obvious fit, progressing both your meldshaping and rage abilities. Or if you want to expand your role a little Umbral Disciple brings some nice tricks to the table.

I saw the Totem Rager, but I discarded it because of the 3/4 BaB, the single talent requirement to qualify sure is a plus, but cobalt rage is such a meh talent and I already get more by investing essentia in the spynx claws.

Arael666
2016-04-20, 06:12 AM
I tweaked the build a little bit. Delaying warshaper entry just to get soulmels didn't quite pay off in my opinion and I also got pious templar (1 feat wasted, so anyone know a nice relic for a melee character?) now it looks like this:

1-Barbarian (pounce)
2-Barbarian (improved trip)
3-Cruzader
4-Warblade
5-Warshaper
6-Warshaper
7-Warshaper
8-Warshaper
9-Pious templar
10-Warblade

Now I'm thinking a few classes that would be nice to have after this, the first being Warforged Juggernaut (for more immunities) qualifying through racial emulation, but would this feat let me aquire Adamantine Body Feat? (warforged race required) By RAW it seems like it should, but how would that work?

Another class I'm considering is the eternal blade from ToB, I liked the eternal training class feature, but other than that I don't see why people think this prestige is so good. If I continue down this path, 9th lvl maneuvers are guaranteed.

Finally, there's the Moonsea Skysentinel, who would grant me a nice flying mount, spell turning and a few other minor defensive abilities.

Ortesk
2016-04-20, 05:42 PM
What are you trying to achieve here? Pounce opens up charge, which opens up shock trooper and power attack fun.

Honestly barbarian is good for a one level dip, since warblade and tripping don't synergize that well, IMO. Pick up pounce and whirling frenzy.

If you want versatility, go warblade. If you want to do damage, I would go barbarian 1/fighter 4/warblade 2/frenzy berserker 9/warblade 4. You end up with a few nice maneuvers and stances, least of which is diamond mind (no tpk) you end up dealing as much damage as you want (at most I would pick up shock trooper and a valorous weapon, don't go down the road of leap attack. You can't dodge a dm's guide)

I like 2-4 levels for fighter, feats are needed. And go with what I showed, you get some versatility, tankyness, and can end encounters pretty quick (melee at least)