PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tibbits! Race

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 03:19 PM
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity increases by 2.

Age: Tibbits mature a bit faster than humans, and live a little longer. They are full grown by age 17, and typically live to be 120.

Alignment: Tibbits are primarily chaotic.

Languages: Tibbits know Common and Feline-Feline being a language of meows, purrs, and hisses that allows them to communicate with other Tibbits and cats of all kinds.

Size: Tibbits are between 3'6" and 4'6" usually. Their size is small.

Speed: The base walking speed is 25' for a Tibbit.

Darkvision: Tibbits can see in the dark up to 60'. This is not in color-only in shades of black and white.

Tibbit Transformation: Tibbits are capable of transforming into cats (or back) as an action. While in cat form, you retain all class abilities and stats, and gain 10' to your move speed, but are unable to use any armor or hand-held devices (including, but not limited to, shields and weapons). However, you do have two attacks-a claw attack (1d2 slashing damage, Finesse, Light) and a bite attack (1d3 piercing damage, Light). Other equipment morphs into appropriate forms (such as a necklace becoming a collar) and retains its abilities. While a cat, your AC is equal to 12+your Dexterity modifier, to represent your small size making you hard to hit. You can spend an indefinite amount of time in cat form. You can shift to a cat and back once per short rest.

The cat form and your regular humanoid form share HP. If you are reduced to 0 HP while in cat form, you shift back to humanoid form over the course of about ten seconds.

Tabby Tibbit

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma increases by 1.

Adorable!: You gain proficiency with the Persuasion skill, because you're just so cute!

Tomcat Tibbit

Ability Score Increase: Your Constitution increases by 1.

Athletic: You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill.

Final Hyena
2016-04-10, 03:31 PM
I like it, I just think the transformation should have the action specified, it might also need a limitation, uses per long rest for instance.

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 03:32 PM
Once per short rest, and as an action.

Better?

Final Hyena
2016-04-10, 03:42 PM
Purrfect :D

tigerusthegreat
2016-04-10, 04:00 PM
What happens to your HP in cat form?

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 04:13 PM
Stays the same.

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 05:08 PM
Added attacks to cat form. Claws (1d2, Finesse, Light) and Bite (1d3, Light).

Nifft
2016-04-10, 05:12 PM
Added attacks to cat form. Claws (1d2, Finesse, Light) and Bite (1d3, Light).

I'd suggest just saying something like: "While you are a cat, you gain an Unarmed attack (Light, Finesse) which deals 1d3 slashing damage."

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 05:15 PM
I'd suggest just saying something like: "While you are a cat, you gain an Unarmed attack (Light, Finesse) which deals 1d3 slashing damage."

Forgot to add damage type! Thank you for pointing that out!

But I think it's worded pretty okay. If it's hard to understand and I'm just being dumb, let me know, but please do read the first post, not just the update post. (It's worded differently in the OP.)

Nifft
2016-04-10, 05:21 PM
Forgot to add damage type! Thank you for pointing that out!

But I think it's worded pretty okay. If it's hard to understand and I'm just being dumb, let me know, but please do read the first post, not just the update post. (It's worded differently in the OP.)

Well, my point is that 5e doesn't seem to care how many attacks of each type you have, unless you also have some additional ability to multi-attack (like a Fighter or Hydra does get).

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 05:26 PM
Well, they do different types of damage. Plus the bite is more useful for Strength based Tibbits (extra .5 damage) while the claw is basically mandatory for Rogues and Dexterity-based Tibbits.

Edit: Though yeah, it doesn't really matter that you have two. I still like having two, though, and it really doesn't harm anything, so Imma keep it.

Edit II: Also, posted this on Reddit, and one guy seems to believe this an onion druid situation. Does the fact that HP carries over between forms seem clear and he's being dumb, or is it not worded right and I need to fix it?

Nifft
2016-04-10, 06:18 PM
Edit II: Also, posted this on Reddit, and one guy seems to believe this an onion druid situation. Does the fact that HP carries over between forms seem clear and he's being dumb, or is it not worded right and I need to fix it?

Are you asking if someone on Reddit might be dumb?

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 06:21 PM
Yes. Yes I am.

Regardless, though, I do need to know if it's not clear.

Nifft
2016-04-10, 06:45 PM
Seems clear to me.

JNAProductions
2016-04-10, 06:54 PM
Okay, good.

PotatoGolem
2016-04-11, 09:04 AM
It's mostly clear, but I could see how the last line could confuse someone, especially if they're either skimming or not a native English speaker. Maybe add a caveat that you stay at 0 hp at the end of the sentence.

Belac93
2016-04-11, 10:05 AM
I do have one question: What languages do they know? The 3.5 ones have Common and Feline (lets them speak with each other and cats.), but I think you forgot an entry for these ones.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-11, 10:24 AM
Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity increases by 2.

Age: Tibbits mature a bit faster than humans, and live a little longer. They are full grown by age 17, and typically live to be 120.

Alignment: Tibbits are primarily chaotic.

Size: Tibbits are between 3'6" and 4'6" usually. Their size is small.

Speed: The base walking speed is 25' for a Tibbit.

Darkvision: Tibbits can see in the dark up to 60'. This is not in color-only in shades of black and white.

Tibbit Transformation: Tibbits are capable of transforming into cats (or back) as an action. While in cat form, you retain all class abilities and stats, and gain 10' to your move speed, but are unable to use any armor or hand-held devices (including, but not limited to, shields and weapons). However, you do have two attacks-a claw attack (1d2 slashing damage, Finesse, Light) and a bite attack (1d3 piercing damage, Light). Other equipment morphs into appropriate forms (such as a necklace becoming a collar) and retains its abilities. While a cat, your AC is equal to 12+your Dexterity modifier, to represent your small size making you hard to hit. You can spend an indefinite amount of time in cat form. You can shift to a cat and back once per short rest.

The cat form and your regular humanoid form share HP. If you are reduced to 0 HP while in cat form, you shift back to humanoid form over the course of about ten seconds.

Tabby Tibbit

Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma increases by 1.

Adorable!: You gain proficiency with the Persuasion skill, because you're just so cute!

Tomcat Tibbit

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength increases by 1.

Athletic: You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill.
Pretty simple and cool. I'd add the following changes:

when you go back to humanoid form (because you were reduced to 0HP or want to shift back) you can't go to cat form for an hour. Better than one / short rest and more as the original
damage of the claw and weapon to 1d4 or that you can make TWO claw attacks as bonus action to give a reason for cat form
remove the str tibbit for a wis tibbit. Tibbit used to get lower strength and your strength would be lower in cat form. -0 is OK and -0 in cat form too but +str ????
add something to either the subraces or base race because it just has one cool thing now.

Belac93
2016-04-11, 01:09 PM
Tibbit used to get lower strength and your strength would be lower in cat form. -0 is OK and -0 in cat form too but +str ????

What about a grappler Tibbit? Have you ever tried to get a cat off of you when it wants to hang on? Its hard and painful. I can totally see a Tibbit being a barbarian, and then just grabbing onto this poor person and not letting go. Maybe with the Climbing onto bigger creatures rule from the DMG.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-11, 01:48 PM
What about a grappler Tibbit? Have you ever tried to get a cat off of you when it wants to hang on? Its hard and painful. I can totally see a Tibbit being a barbarian, and then just grabbing onto this poor person and not letting go. Maybe with the Climbing onto bigger creatures rule from the DMG.

Tibbit don't have high str without trics normally. Grapplers with +0 racial are easily but extra str even in cat form? No sense

JNAProductions
2016-04-11, 03:10 PM
Tibbit don't have high str without trics normally. Grapplers with +0 racial are easily but extra str even in cat form? No sense

Changed to extra Constitution.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-12, 09:50 AM
Changed to extra Constitution.
Seems good now