PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Metamorphosis + Undead or Elemental type

proselus
2016-04-10, 03:56 PM
Hello Playground!

OK, so an in-depth reading of the Complete Polymorph thread and lots of googling has not been able to fully answer this question, and I am the first psionic player in my group so the DM/other players don't have any advice.

I'm playing an Egoist, and I have Metamorphosis. I got my DM to approve Metamorphic Transfer, so Su abilities ahoy! My only stumble is the 4 types I can't become: Construct, Elemental, Outsider, and Undead. I became an Egoist after ditching my previous melee character because I like options, so I don't like not having options.

Now I have a psicrystal, so it can become the Construct for me, and I found psychoactive skin in Complete Psionic that grants my celestial template for a bit, so I can become Outsiders.

Undead and Elemental are really throwing me. I found a Wiz spell in Libris Mortis that makes you undead for a little while, but its personal only and it has costly material component. Is there anything available to temporarily make you Undead or Elemental, and do either of those have any nice Su abilities worth having, or should I stop worrying about it?

Thanks in advance

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-10, 04:28 PM
Shapechange could do it. Other than that (and becoming undead in a more traditional manner), the only ways I can think of are finding an undead critter, and either possessing it through magic jar or forcing it to turn into a living creature of some other type via polymorph any object, and using fusion on it, followed by dismissing the PAO, or using mind switch and dismissing the PAO.

How about taking the magic mantle for uber transparency and using an undead familiar to manifest metamorphosis on?

[edit] OH! Alternately, there's a power in Hyperconscious called psianimate dead that can even be used on a psicrystal. Though it requires that you kill your psicrystal first.

Troacctid
2016-04-10, 04:33 PM
You can become undead via Necropolitan. You can become an elemental via one of several prestige classes. But I don't see why you're worried about it—you have plenty of good forms to choose from already.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-10, 04:42 PM
You can become undead via Necropolitan. You can become an elemental via one of several prestige classes. But I don't see why you're worried about it—you have plenty of good forms to choose from already.And most undead are from templates, so you can't use them anyway.

proselus
2016-04-10, 07:19 PM
Well there was a couple of abilities that some undead had that I liked (like an Allip's WIS drain, makes it easy to dominate critters), but I think I just need to peruse all the sourcebooks and find some creatures that can mimic these abilities. And I know very little about elementals, so I won't be too concerned there unless I run across something stupendous.

Thanks for the help!

Ellowryn
2016-04-10, 07:45 PM
Well, the higher level version of metamorphosis can do it.

And don't forget, while you cannot become one of those four types through the power, if you are already one of them when you manifest the power then you can change into any creature of that type. So warforged psions can become other constructs, Aasimar/Tiefling can become other outsiders, etc. This even works with temporary type changes from stuff such as items.

proselus
2016-04-10, 08:10 PM
Well, the higher level version of metamorphosis can do it.

And don't forget, while you cannot become one of those four types through the power, if you are already one of them when you manifest the power then you can change into any creature of that type. So warforged psions can become other constructs, Aasimar/Tiefling can become other outsiders, etc. This even works with temporary type changes from stuff such as items.

Sadly I'm about 5 levels short of Greater Metamorphosis, so that's not really an option. As for the other part, yes I know, that's why I have the psychoactive skin to become temporarily Celestial. I was looking at stuff to become temporarily Undead and Elemental. That's a lot harder to find unfortunately.

MisterKaws
2016-04-10, 09:37 PM
Human Heritage Necropolitan [Insert Planetouched here] could probably get both Outsider and Undead, depending on how you interpret Human Heritage.

Necropolitan Incarnate Construct Dustform [Insert Planetouched] also gets Construct, with an even more dubious rules interpretation.

Necropolitan Incarnate Construct Dustform Element [Insert Planetouched] also gets Elemental, though you have an LA of either +5 or +6, with none of the power that those obscene numbers should grant, and you still have to convince your DM into allowing you to interpret yourself as (Augmented) for all of that.

DrMartin
2016-04-11, 09:49 AM
Re: Elementals, I've been looking for a while for ways to do the same thing, and the only way I've "found" (as it was mentioned in one of the psionic tricks threads) is kind of debatable (or rather, depends on reading a part of the text to the letter, while turning a blind eye to another).

The trick is to manifest metamorphosis to turn into a phasm, using metamorphic transfer to nab its Alternate Form (Su) ability.

The ability allows the Phasm to "... assume any form of Large size or smaller ..." (emphasis mine) while "this ability works as a polymorph spell cast on itself (caster level 15th) except the phasm does not regain hit points for changing form"

So if you decide that the "any form" trumps the normal limitations implied by "this ability works as polymorph spell", you are good to do.

If you want to exploit even more bad writing you can now become an elemental weird from MM II and have basically every good divination spell at your disposal (and as a free action to boot)

EDIT: just thought of a workaround: assuming that Share Spell would also work for sharing Powers (don't really know if psionic-magic transparency goes that far), you could either dip Druid 1 and get the Elemental Companion ACF, or find ways to get a caster level in order to qualify for Obtain and Improved Familiar. This way you can get two Petrocks :D