PDA

View Full Version : need a list of monsters by saves

Nosta
2016-04-10, 07:10 PM
so my fluff for my character is a monster slayer ( hunter)
who uses crossbows and short swords

what I want his a list of monster or there types by saves mostly those that are more likely to fail a fort save of 20 to 23 (bolts of slaying )

I know undead and constructs are a good target but what other target would be good for buying and have some most likely chance to work and not be a waste of money

Troacctid
2016-04-10, 07:18 PM
Well, undead and constructs are also immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless it also works on objects. So they're probably the worst possible targets, really.

Malimar
2016-04-10, 07:25 PM
Poor Fort saves: Aberration, Construct, some Elementals, Fey, Monstrous Humanoid, Ooze, Undead.

Good Fort saves: Animal, Dragon, some Elementals, Giant, Magical Beast, Outsider, Plant, Vermin.

I think you can safely assume there's too many kinds of humanoids for them to be a good bet, unless you're in a campaign where you're facing tons and tons of drow or whatnot. I'd say the same is true of outsiders, but Outsider(evil) is probably the only type of Slaying you're likely to ever need when it comes to Outsiders.

Really, though, most DMs are not random monster generators, picking randomly from the list of all level-appropriate monsters to throw at the party, so picking monsters for Slaying (or Bane or Favored Enemy or whatever) by which have the poorest saves is rather akin to searching under the lamp for your lost keys (because that's where the light is) instead of near where you lost them.

Most DMs have a theme for a delve, an adventure, or even a whole campaign. In my games, for example, Aberration and Outsider(evil) would be your best bets, whereas Monstrous Humanoid and Fey would be terrible choices, based on how often you're likely to face each.

Nosta
2016-04-10, 07:26 PM
Well, undead and constructs are also immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless it also works on objects. So they're probably the worst possible targets, really.

that's weird. ive seen post online showing that arrows of construct slaying are a good idea

Malimar
2016-04-10, 07:28 PM
Well, undead and constructs are also immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless it also works on objects. So they're probably the worst possible targets, really.that's weird. ive seen post online showing that arrows of construct slaying are a good idea
For just about anything other than Slaying, Troacctid would be right. But:

This +1 arrow is keyed to a particular type or subtype of creature. If it strikes such a creature, the target must make a DC 20 Fortitude save or die (or, in the case of unliving targets, be destroyed) instantly. Note that even creatures normally exempt from Fortitude saves (undead and constructs) are subject to this attack. When keyed to a living creature, this is a death effect (and thus death ward protects a target).

Nosta
2016-04-10, 07:40 PM
Poor Fort saves: Aberration, Construct, some Elementals, Fey, Monstrous Humanoid, Ooze, Undead.

Good Fort saves: Animal, Dragon, some Elementals, Giant, Magical Beast, Outsider, Plant, Vermin.

I think you can safely assume there's too many kinds of humanoids for them to be a good bet, unless you're in a campaign where you're facing tons and tons of drow or whatnot. I'd say the same is true of outsiders, but Outsider(evil) is probably the only type of Slaying you're likely to ever need when it comes to Outsiders.

Really, though, most DMs are not random monster generators, picking randomly from the list of all level-appropriate monsters to throw at the party, so picking monsters for Slaying (or Bane or Favored Enemy or whatever) by which have the poorest saves is rather akin to searching under the lamp for your lost keys (because that's where the light is) instead of near where you lost them.

Most DMs have a theme for a delve, an adventure, or even a whole campaign. In my games, for example, Aberration and Outsider(evil) would be your best bets, whereas Monstrous Humanoid and Fey would be terrible choices, based on how often you're likely to face each.

well that would normally be right if it was not for the fact that the main plot is a world were one day 200 years ago the world as we knew it became over ran with monsters from the D&D world, powerful storm bring about these monsters. they are typed by cr with cr 20-25 being called kami class

my fluff for my character is he comes from a family that been hunting these monster since they first appeared