PDA

View Full Version : Who messed up?

The Viscount
2016-04-11, 12:46 AM
Dragon Magic is one of my favorite book, and introduces new things for almost every type of magic. It of course also introduces Dragonfire Adept, as much its own class as it is a revision of warlock(breath weapon damage even lines up with EB damage) which answers the request many had after reading warlock of making breath effects completely separate from invocations (though at the cost of less invocations). One of the tweaks it has is that it has poor BA instead of average (not that it needs it). The class is a little weird; it's not presented at the front like most base classes, and in breath effects at the front it says that you can't stack multiple, though two effects in the book, cloud and shape, say that you can with them. It's a simple specific trumping general, but a bit weird for them to not just mention at first. It seems like we've got a bit of odd editing going on.

Now we get to the question. Presented in Dragon Magic is Eldritch Glaive, which the playground of course knows about. In the example for it, they mention a 12th level warlock being able to make a full attack with 2 attacks at +6 and +1. This would be true if warlock had poor BA like the Dragonfire Adept, but it has average so it's not. So, either the author of this sample didn't bother to check warlock BA and assumed it was the same as dragonfire adept, which is very clearly heavily based on warlock, or the author of dragonfire adept messed up when making the table and gave the dragonfire adept poor BA, assuming that warlock also had it. One seems more plausible to me than the other, but I'd love the playground's opinion. So, in short: who messed up?

weckar
2016-04-11, 12:53 AM
Considering the options presented aren't mutually exclusive, I'm inclined to say 'both'.

Darrin
2016-04-11, 06:50 AM
It's also possible that the Warlock mentioned as an example was originally a Dragonfire Adept (with the proper BAB), and some editor changed it to Warlock when he realized that Dragonfire Adepts don't get Warlock invocations.

I'm inclined to think whoever wrote/edited Eldritch Glaive mucked up the example, and the BAB printed on the class tables for Dragonfire Adept/Warlock is correct.

Necroticplague
2016-04-11, 07:00 AM
I'm inclined to think whoever wrote/edited Eldritch Glaive mucked up the example, and the BAB printed on the class tables for Dragonfire Adept/Warlock is correct.

I agree. Examples tend to not be given much thought. See also: example PrC character that don't qualify for their own class, NPC statblocks that seem to follow some invisible "can't use a natural attack with the arm your holding a manufactured weapon in" rule...

Sahleb
2016-04-11, 07:08 AM
I agree. Examples tend to not be given much thought. See also: example PrC character that don't qualify for their own class, NPC statblocks that seem to follow some invisible "can't use a natural attack with the arm your holding a manufactured weapon in" rule...

That last one is common sense. You'll also note that all the creatures in the mm follow it. See skeletons for an example.

J-H
2016-04-11, 07:19 AM
According to the SRD, Pegasi (winged horses) reproduce by laying eggs. I think they copy/pasted a section from griffins.

nyjastul69
2016-04-11, 07:54 AM
According to the SRD, Pegasi (winged horses) reproduce by laying eggs. I think they copy/pasted a section from griffins.

Pegasi have laid eggs since at least 1st Ed.

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-11, 01:13 PM

Pegas havei laid eggs since at least 1st Ed.

In addition, it doesn't make any more sense for griffons (who have feline hindquarters) to lay eggs. It is equally weird, biologically speaking, for either creature to do so, but *magic*!

The Viscount
2016-04-11, 01:14 PM
Considering the options presented aren't mutually exclusive, I'm inclined to say 'both'.

So "both" meaning that DFA should have average and that the same person likely wrote Eldritch Glaive?

I'm inclined to agree with the general consensus that just Eldritch Glaive example is the messup, I was mostly curious as to other's thoughts.

Eloel
2016-04-11, 01:17 PM
DFA should keep half BAB. They were never meant to use weapons. I feel the example is broken and they thought Warlock had poor BAB, which it clearly does not.