PDA

View Full Version : Monsters to stalk low level PCs?

ES Curse
2016-04-11, 01:27 AM
I'm thinking something along the lines of Nemesis from the Resident Evil series. Big, powerful, and almost impossible to kill by conventional means; your only hope is to get the hell away as fast as you can. This isn't to mean something like an Ancient Red Dragon that would just kill the PCs before they realize they're in danger; escape has to be a viable option unless you manage to corner yourself.

And don't worry about challenging high-level characters like this either; stick to levels 1-5 (maybe up to 7-8).

manny2510
2016-04-11, 01:56 AM
Dread Revenant. Take a normal revenant, make it large, lower the speed, and add a bite attack that deals critical damage on a creature it has grappled. If they kill it give them 3 rounds, after which it bursts out of the floor, even if it is solid stone,

ZenBear
2016-04-11, 02:04 AM
Revenant came to mind right away. Your party killed someone; maybe a villain, maybe an innocent. Now that corpse wants revenge.

Perhaps a Fomorian stalking the party through the Underdark.

A Wraith seeking companionship in the form of Specter minions.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-11, 06:05 AM
I'm thinking something along the lines of Nemesis from the Resident Evil series. Big, powerful, and almost impossible to kill by conventional means; your only hope is to get the hell away as fast as you can. This isn't to mean something like an Ancient Red Dragon that would just kill the PCs before they realize they're in danger; escape has to be a viable option unless you manage to corner yourself.

And don't worry about challenging high-level characters like this either; stick to levels 1-5 (maybe up to 7-8).

Revenant with 1 or 2 spellcaster class level. Paladin 2 ?

JackPhoenix
2016-04-11, 07:27 AM
Depending on the setting, demons (well, fiends in general) may work. If you kill it on material plane, it'll just respawn back in hell and come for another round. And it is smart, so it will remember what thed did to defeat it, and would be prepared, making it harder and harder foe in each incarnation...

Democratus
2016-04-11, 07:27 AM
You could go the "Tremors" route and have a crazed, advanced Bulette stalking them.

Renvir
2016-04-11, 04:26 PM
A modified Invisible Stalker could work. For lower levels I would change HP to ~20, remove multi attack, and reduce damage to 1d6 +3 instead of 2d6 + 3. You can then up it as the players rise in level. Between the invisibility and faultless track traits you can really challenge your players. The added RP bonus is that invisible stalkers are summoned and directed by someone so there is some BBEG lurking in the shadows. Whenever they kill one the BBEG just summons another the next day and it begins tracking them again.

Addaran
2016-04-11, 06:48 PM
Something like a slow construct that is immune to non-magical damage and most spell. Adamantium or Mithril golem? =P It just fallows them without ever tiring, so the characters can run away but when they stop to sleep, the construct closes the distance.

When they are higher level or as part of a quest, they can find some way to capture it (under a moutain, bottomless pit, permanant force cage) or teleport it to another plane via a portal/rift.

RickAllison
2016-04-11, 06:55 PM
An interesting variation might be a flightless Shadow Dragon. The dragon is injured or otherwise unable to pursue the party effectively, but he dispatches an endless horde of Shadows after them.

The Shadows can be sent in small enough numbers that the PCs just get a reminder that they are being pursued, or they can be sent in an army that could overwhelm high-level PCs.

If you are particularly sadistic, you can have towns the party has tarried in be razed to the ground, the people dead and/or shadowless, punished for the aid they offered the PCs and doomed to pursue their former guests.

comk59
2016-04-11, 08:03 PM
Honestly, for something like this I would beef up a scarecrow. Those things can be terrifying in their own right.

Up it's HP, lower its speed, give it a big scary scythe, and raise the DC on it's paralysis stare thing to 15 or so. It probably won't catch them, but if they try to stand and fight, they'll be rooted to the ground as it lurches towards them with those burning red eyes...

Set it in a a farming village with tall fields and a few not-animated scarecrows, and you have a hell of a monster.

Renvir
2016-04-11, 11:31 PM
Honestly, for something like this I would beef up a scarecrow. Those things can be terrifying in their own right.

Up it's HP, lower its speed, give it a big scary scythe, and raise the DC on it's paralysis stare thing to 15 or so. It probably won't catch them, but if they try to stand and fight, they'll be rooted to the ground as it lurches towards them with those burning red eyes...

Set it in a a farming village with tall fields and a few not-animated scarecrows, and you have a hell of a monster.

I'm writing this one down and saving it for the next time I'm running a campaign.

Kadarai
2016-04-12, 12:33 AM

There was something like that that I borrowed from the skinsaw murders adventure.
Scarecrow bad guy and a small group of ghouls assaulting farms, eating some of the farmers and strapping some on poles dressed up as scarecrows too, until they turn and brake free of the bonds.
The party was lost in the cornfields, running in scarecrows that may or may not be alive and may or may not be the big bad. Imagine coming up to one. It starts twitching in its bonds and screaming under a gag. Is it a victim, still alive? Is it a ghoul? Why are the tips of the cornstalks dancing in the distance and what are those two red dots burning in the dark? Something is coming... Something is after us...
Makes for one hell of a Halloween session.