PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spheres of Power: Other Core/Base Archetypes

digiman619
2016-04-11, 02:43 AM
I've just gotten Spheres of Power: Expanded Options and saw the archetypes that swap out regular casting for spherecasting. Are there any archetypes that combo well with this change? Or any that become less interesting because of the change? And while I'm at it, are there any classes from PF with spells or (Su) or (Sp) abilities that need a spherecasting alternative?

stack
2016-04-11, 10:16 AM
Alchemist and investigator lack spherecasting archetypes in the base book or expanded options, though there is an alchemist in the Geomancer's Handbook and an Investigator in the Diviner's Handbook. (links in the Orrery in my sig)

The only occult class to have a spherecasting archetype in the medium, also in the Diviner's Handbook.

No casting-granting prestige classes have official conversions.

As for archetypes that combo well, menhir savant druids get a uses/day CL boost, which your DM may allow to apply. Most archetypes that alter casting, domains, or specializations will conflict. Black blade magus conflicts due to combining the arcane pool and spell points and many other magus archetypes lose spell recall so won't work either. Dual-bloodline sorcerer conflicts as well, I believe. A large percentage of cleric archetypes lose a domain, so those don't stack without DM leniency.

In general, archetypes that don't impact casting are more likely to stack, since many of the conversion archetypes don't stretch beyond casting.

digiman619
2016-04-12, 11:32 AM
How does the minor magic and major magic rouge talents (and the handful of advanced talents based of them) work with SoP?

stack
2016-04-12, 04:48 PM
You are into ask your dm territory, I do not believe anything has been written on the subject. Some combination of can trips and basic magical training should work out though.

Afgncaap5
2016-04-12, 05:01 PM
How does the minor magic and major magic rouge talents (and the handful of advanced talents based of them) work with SoP?

I think the creator of Spheres of Power said that there's no *official* wording on that subject, but in his personal games he treats Minor Magic and Major Magic as the equivalent of the rogue in question gaining the Basic Magical Training and Advanced Magical Training feats, respectively. I can't find that to back it up, though.

I'd personally rather go with stack's recommendation of mixing Basic Magical Training and cantrips, but that's because I like games to be able to mix sphere casting and vancian magic. (That, plus getting GM input is almost always a good idea.)

stack
2016-04-12, 06:43 PM
Grabbing basic and advanced to work your way towards getting invisibility from illusion and a few warp talents would be worthwhile for many rogues I expect. I would have to look at the rogue talents in question to see how they line up, I don't really play rogues (also, I think you can make passably roguish character with a hedgewitch, but you can make about anything with a hedgewitch).