PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Flames (Paladin Archetype) PEACH

GanonBoar
2016-04-11, 05:37 AM
Oath of Flames

(fluff coming)

Tenets of the Flames
Courage: The flame never backs down. Keep burning until you are doused.
Consume: Those who would harm this world should be punished. Consume them so the flames can grow stronger.
Warmth: Flames warm as well as burn. Show this warmth when protecting the innocent.
Light: The shadows cast on this world must be purged, so the flames can illuminate it.

Oath Spells
3rd: Burning Hands, Searing Smite
5th: Scorching Ray, Pyrotechnics
9th: Fireball, Daylight
13th: Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
17th: Flame Strike, Immolation

Channel Divinity
When you take this oath at 3rd Level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Consume: As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of rage, using your Channel Divinity. One creature of your choice within 30 feet must make a Dexterity saving throw or be consumed by flames. For one minute, the target takes 1d6 fire damage at the start of each of its turns, and you regain hit points equal to the damage dealt this way. At the end of each of its turns, the target makes a Dexterity saving throw to shrug off the flames. On a successful save, this effect ends.

Illuminate: As an action, you present your holy symbol and speak a prayer of hope and warmth, using your Channel Divinity. You become surrounded by an aura of bright light for 10 minutes, with a diameter of 10 feet. This aura sheds dim light for a further 10 feet. While this aura surrounds you, you have resistance to radiant and necrotic damage, and any fiends or undead that start their turn within the aura take 1d4 radiant or fire damage (your choice). You also gain the benefits described in the Protection from Evil and Good spell.

Aura of Heat
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you gain resistance to fire and cold damage.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Overpowering Flames
Beginning at 15th level, you ignore resistance to fire damage, and treat immunity as resistance.

Furthermore, you are always under the effects of the Absorb Elements spell, but only when the triggering attack deals fire damage. You do not need to use your reaction to gain this benefit.

At 20th level, you can assume the form of a holy flaming warrior. Your body appears to be made entirely of flame (you can choose the colour) for the duration. Using your action, you undergo this transformation. For 1 minute, you gain the following benefits:
•Any creature that starts it turn within 5 feet of you takes 10 fire damage.
•You gain immunity to fire and cold damage.
•You add your Charisma modifier to any fire damage you deal with your spells.
•You can use your action to project a stream of flame from your hands. Each creature in a 30 foot by 5 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 5d10 fire damage (half on a successful save)
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.

Any input on balance and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Oramac
2016-04-11, 02:59 PM
Looks good. Couple small things.

Aura of Heat
Starting at 7th level, you and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you (not sure what to put for this, considered an extra 1d6 fire damage or resistance to cold/fire damage? Any Ideas?)

Fire or Cold resistance would be good here, I think. The PHB auras don't offer any additional damage. They're all utility or defense based.

•You can use your action to project a stream of flame from your hands. Each creature in a 30 foot by 5 foot line must make a Dexterity saving throw or take 5d8 fire damage (half on a successful save)

This feels underpowered. A 3rd level Lightning Bolt does 8d6 damage, which averages just a bit higher than your 5d8 level 20 capstone.

GanonBoar
2016-04-11, 03:10 PM
Fire or Cold resistance would be good here, I think. The PHB auras don't offer any additional damage. They're all utility or defense based.

Yeah, I'll probably go for Fire/Cold resistance. Do you think it would OP to give both? The Oathbreaker aura does increase damage by the way, though to be fair that doesn't affect all friendly creatures.

This feels underpowered. A 3rd level Lightning Bolt does 8d6 damage, which averages just a bit higher than your 5d8 level 20 capstone.
The main reason I did this was to encourage people to still use their other options, although I do agree that it's a bit weak. How much do you think I should improve it by? Should I increase range, damage, or both?

Oramac
2016-04-11, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I'll probably go for Fire/Cold resistance. Do you think it would OP to give both? The Oathbreaker aura does increase damage by the way, though to be fair that doesn't affect all friendly creatures.

True, but it's damage increase applies to bad guys too. IDK, I suppose a damage increase wouldn't be bad. Just offering resistance seems weak, since OotA offers resistance to all magic

The main reason I did this was to encourage people to still use their other options, although I do agree that it's a bit weak. How much do you think I should improve it by? Should I increase range, damage, or both?

Well, being a line attack makes it a bit more tricky to use. You have to pay attention to positioning to get the most bang out of it, so upping the damage would probably be ok, I think.

Foxhound438
2016-04-11, 10:31 PM

[...]

probably go immunity. OoA gives resistance to all damage from spells, and not a lot will deal fire or cold damage without being a spell. A few things, but not enough to make resistance to 2 types compare to resistance to all. Giving bonus damage with no concentration or resources is pretty dangerous, and basically a flat no-go on a feature under 10th level, since at 9 or below a fighter 11/ whatever x build would explode in at-will damage. Remember, multiclassing is where all the broken things in 5e are, so you absolutely need to keep that in mind.

Another thing you might consider for the aura is some kind of healing benefit, perhaps on top of immunity (cold, fire) you can use your lay on hands at range on things inside the aura?

Edit: as for comparison to the Oathbreaker, remember that the base idea for that subclass is that it's primarily for "evil NPC's with class levels", and is thus not balanced the same as the options in the PHB. /Edit.

The fire line should be fine, it can be used every turn without expending any more of your resources. Moreover, having Nimbus DOT damage with weaker lightning bolt is still better than Nimbus, so you really don't need to buff this at all.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-12, 09:47 AM
Looks good. Couple small things.

Fire immunity would probably be good, or resistance to both cold and fire. Both perfect.

It isn't underpowered. It is good because paladins aren't good against groups and works a minute. I think it is a nice balance. Over the dragonborn breath.

GanonBoar
2016-04-12, 01:05 PM
Changes:
Aura of Heat is resistance to fire and cold damage. I know it may be slightly underpowered, but I think it will still have a positive enough impact.

Line attack in Capstone changed to 5d12 (from 5d8). I wanted it to do more damage without being TOO good.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-12, 01:51 PM
Changes:
Aura of Heat is resistance to fire and cold damage. I know it may be slightly underpowered, but I think it will still have a positive enough impact.

Line attack in Capstone changed to 5d12 (from 5d8). I wanted it to do more damage without being TOO good.

I'd go 5d10. I think it was good before

Foxhound438
2016-04-12, 03:02 PM

Agreed.

I mean, to put it into perspective, Investiture of Flame (EEPC, 6th level spell) gives you for up to 10 minutes, concentration based, an action to make a 15x5 line of fire that does only 4d8 fire damage on a failed dex save, halving on a successful one, and moreover, a creature that moves to within 5 feet of you or ends its turn there takes 1d10 fire damage. It's basically a worse version of what your capstone is, at a spell level Paladins can't get. 5d8 is not too weak when it's more than the things too strong for you to get.

Oramac
2016-04-12, 03:02 PM

I'd agree with this. 5d10 puts it roughly on par with a 5th level Smite.

GanonBoar
2016-04-12, 03:26 PM
Alright, I'll change it to 5d10.