PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Should a Bard multiclass?

Zethus
2016-04-11, 12:40 PM
So I've got a level 6 Bard (Lore) and I was wondering if, in the future, it'd be good for Bards to multiclass. I'd be fine with conceding level 20 as of right now (maybe to Rogue), but that doesn't really do much since it's only 1 level in a class. In my opinion the Bard gets a lot of sweetness up to level 19, but I'm open to multiclassing earlier.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-11, 12:59 PM
So I've got a level 6 Bard (Lore) and I was wondering if, in the future, it'd be good for Bards to multiclass. I'd be fine with conceding level 20 as of right now (maybe to Rogue), but that doesn't really do much since it's only 1 level in a class. In my opinion the Bard gets a lot of sweetness up to level 19, but I'm open to multiclassing earlier.

You just got one of the best bard features. You could take 2 warlock (popular). If damage isn't needed and you are not a gish (lore) paladin/rogue/fighter is worse. Take 2 warlock now or take nothing

BiPolar
2016-04-11, 01:02 PM

I currently have a Bard 8/Warlock 1 and I hate the delay I've given myself in getting bard spells/magical secrets. However, I was lucky enough to get one of the magical bard instruments and that limited my ability to use traditional weapons. I went with warlock to get eldritch blast, but had I not been without a weapon I'd likely not have multiclassed.

Bard spells, including magical secrets, are very powerful, and the delay is costly.

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-11, 01:26 PM

Great job picking lore!!! :D What magical secrets did you pick? What role(s) do you serve in the party? What do you want to do best? And what's your character like (character traits, not necessarily physical description)?

spartan_ah
2016-04-11, 01:55 PM
I took 2 levels of warlock and it's nice but EB is kinda boring and hex is redundant because you have better things to do with your concentration

danhass
2016-04-11, 01:56 PM

Bard 18 is a must for 9th level spells from anywhere. Just huge. The level 19 ASI isn't as critical, and you probably want to ask yourself if there is something that 2 level dip can do for you that would be better than a Feat (as you likely have your Charisma at 20 already). There are a couple that come to mind. The diviner's portent is quite strong. Fighters action surge is also quite strong. Two full spells and then a bardic inspiration with your bonus action would be a heavy opening. And it would be immediately potent.

BiPolar
2016-04-11, 02:00 PM
Bard 18 is a must for 9th level spells from anywhere. Just huge. The level 19 ASI isn't as critical, and you probably want to ask yourself if there is something that 2 level dip can do for you that would be better than a Feat (as you likely have your Charisma at 20 already). There are a couple that come to mind. The diviner's portent is quite strong. Fighters action surge is also quite strong. Two full spells and then a bardic inspiration with your bonus action would be a heavy opening. And it would be immediately potent.

With Fighter's Action surge, the most you could cast is a spell and a cantrip. I don't believe action surge allows you break the rule and cast more than one spell per turn.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-04-11, 02:03 PM
With Fighter's Action surge, the most you could cast is a spell and a cantrip. I don't believe action surge allows you break the rule and cast more than one spell per turn.

That rule is very specific, in that when you cast a bonus action spell, your normal action can only be used to cast a cantrip. If you gain other ways to gain additional actions, then you can cast as many spells as you have actions, so long as you don't use your bonus action to cast a spell.

Hudsonian
2016-04-11, 02:03 PM
So I would run this past your dm, but you have the unique position of access to the best healing in the game by RAW. According to the sage advice compendium the 1st level life cleric feat disciple of life benefits each berry produced by goodberry. So grab goodberry as one of your stolen secrets, then take a level of life cleric to grab heavy armor and sick healing. (Note: this allows you to heal OTHERS for ridiculous amounts of hp, but you will still need a nice stash of healing potions.)

SliceandDiceKid
2016-04-11, 02:12 PM

This is covered in the errata. I think it's nonsense, but it's legal.

BiPolar
2016-04-11, 02:18 PM
This is covered in the errata. I think it's nonsense, but it's legal.

Wow, I stand corrected! Sage Advice (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SA_Compendium_1.01.pdf) confirms.

BiPolar
2016-04-11, 02:19 PM
However, based on my lore bard experience, I still wouldn't multiclass. It just gets too juicy and those delays are meaningful when you have to wait for a 4th level, 5th level or magical secrets at 10.

JeffreyGator
2016-04-11, 02:58 PM
I may soon also be facing this dilemma with my bard. (our table won't allow MC before level 5)

The biggest thing to consider is whether the gain is worth the delay of cool bard things/spell progression.

(I'm far less concerned about the destination of 20 than getting there since table top is very different from online gaming where people play much of their careers at level cap.)

I'm also looking at this from a thematic sense of the campaign and a contribution to the party.
My bard is the primary utility caster in the group (Hunter, Open fist Monk, Assassin, Tempest Cleric)

my two most-likely MCs are:
wizard to get all the level 1 rituals, 4 different level 1 spells prepped, +1 spell / day, 3 more cantrips.
(essentially I am getting ritual caster + magic initiate for giving up the level)

cleric = 3 cantrips, 5 spells prepped, armor, skill + druid cantrip or 2 expert skill + 2 languages or skill + 2 wizard cantrips.

(I'm a big fan of having lots of cantrips, armor less interesting since my bard has high dex and quite low str, I also like extra skills)

Thematically, I won't MC wizard unless we have acquired a spell book. (The first spell book we encountered got away, and the second spell book was allowed to live after the misunderstanding was corrected.)

Nature cleric could fit with the written backstory. Knowledge or Arcana cleric would require some game event.

rhouck
2016-04-11, 03:56 PM
As a Lore Bard, I vote no. The spell progression delay isn't really worth the small goodies you pickup from other classes.

As a Valor Bard, there are some options, particularly if you spend a lot of time in melee (e.g., 2 levels in Paladin for Fighting Style and Divine Smite with all of your spell slots), but I think the benefits for Lore are more limited.

What are your stats? As that also limits your options.

Hudsonian
2016-04-11, 04:02 PM
As a Lore Bard, I vote no. The spell progression delay isn't really worth the small goodies you pickup from other classes.

no love for the goodberry overdose?

To be clear, that is a lvl 1 spell with a guaranteed 40 hp of healing that can be used over a 24 hour period. Splittable 10 ways. And that goes up by 10 hp per level over 1st.

MrStabby
2016-04-11, 04:48 PM
multiclass to another caster? Probably not worth it.

Muticlass to a martial character maybe - if your secrets spells compliment it well.

Bear in mind that even if you do this you are going to have a whole bunch of levels before extra attack comes online so it may seem a bit of a drag.

JackPhoenix
2016-04-11, 04:48 PM
I'm finally getting into 5e game as a player instead of being an eternal GM, and I'm also planning on going with lore bard. I don't know yet to what level is the game supposed to get, if we can get to full 20, I plan to take either 2 levels of rogue (for cunning action, another skill, extra expertise and some more damage from sneak attack) or 2 levels of warlock after 6th level. I'm not yet sure which, I'll decide after seeing how the game goes. If it doesn't, I think I'll keep to pure bard, to keep up with the spell progression.

I think the last 2 levels of bard are kinda weak, and I'd rather have even more versatility (rogue) or power (warlock).

rhouck
2016-04-11, 04:51 PM
no love for the goodberry overdose?

To be clear, that is a lvl 1 spell with a guaranteed 40 hp of healing that can be used over a 24 hour period. Splittable 10 ways. And that goes up by 10 hp per level over 1st.

I agree that mechanically it is insane healing efficiency, but it's based on a ruling that is very much DM YMMV and, while effective, it's kind of a boring use of Magical Secrets (IMO) and requires the level dip.

But it the efficiency is inarguable, and dipping Life Cleric at least does not reduce spell slots (just delays spell progression one level), adds a variety of other useful spells (e.g., Bless), as well as Heavy Armor Proficiency. So you convinced me, it's far more than small goodies, although I don't know if I'd take the dip myself. :smalltongue:

Assuming he has 13 Wis, of course (as I'd be prioritizing Cha Dex Con as a Lore Bard). I typically think of that Goodberry dip as a Druid grabbing a level of Life Cleric (or vice versa) since the primary casting stat overlaps.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-04-12, 01:54 PM
Lore Bard is nice as is... sure you can do any number of multi-classes, but I always like finding a way to justify that multi-class in your current game. I see trying to add mechanical bonuses as cheese... a character wouldn't know that adding 1 level dip in life cleric would get them better healing spells, they would have to all of a sudden become a follower of a particular deity, and stay one throughout their life to get those powers/bonuses... there is no problem with it, but what event took a carefree bard and led them down the path to accepting a deity devoted to healing, and all the precepts that come with it, to actually become a member of that clergy? Why only one level? If their turn around was so justified, then they would then dedicate themselves to their new calling.

A bard could be a member of a church that worships a deity devoted to healing, and via their spell selection, and songs(hymns of devotion) show their interest to the cause, but actually becoming a layman for the church? I actually like the idea for some builds, but others are just tacked on for mechanical bonuses.

The idea here being that maybe the god/goddess of art and beauty (knowledge, or war would be good candidates as well) would be a good patron for a bard, who tries to emulate part of that deity's portfolio, via the bard route, before actually becoming a cleric. They then multi-class to cleric and spread their patron's tenants via performances (Art could be via poetry, war via dirges for the fallen, knowledge could be telling of epic tales/songs almost forgotten).

That being said, I am merely expressing my opinion, I don't want to imply that you (or anyone else for that matter) are playing wrong.

Sigreid
2016-04-12, 01:58 PM
Isn't bard practically multiclass out of the box?

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-04-12, 02:27 PM
Isn't bard practically multiclass out of the box?

Kinda? If when you did a multiclass you only got part of a class. Skill like a rogue, but no sneak attack or cunning action. Casts like a Sorcerer, but gets some divine spells and none of the big damage spells.

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 02:57 PM
Lore Bard is nice as is... sure you can do any number of multi-classes, but I always like finding a way to justify that multi-class in your current game. I see trying to add mechanical bonuses as cheese... a character wouldn't know that adding 1 level dip in life cleric would get them better healing spells, they would have to all of a sudden become a follower of a particular deity, and stay one throughout their life to get those powers/bonuses... there is no problem with it, but what event took a carefree bard and led them down the path to accepting a deity devoted to healing, and all the precepts that come with it, to actually become a member of that clergy? Why only one level? If their turn around was so justified, then they would then dedicate themselves to their new calling.

A bard could be a member of a church that worships a deity devoted to healing, and via their spell selection, and songs(hymns of devotion) show their interest to the cause, but actually becoming a layman for the church? I actually like the idea for some builds, but others are just tacked on for mechanical bonuses.

The idea here being that maybe the god/goddess of art and beauty (knowledge, or war would be good candidates as well) would be a good patron for a bard, who tries to emulate part of that deity's portfolio, via the bard route, before actually becoming a cleric. They then multi-class to cleric and spread their patron's tenants via performances (Art could be via poetry, war via dirges for the fallen, knowledge could be telling of epic tales/songs almost forgotten).

That being said, I am merely expressing my opinion, I don't want to imply that you (or anyone else for that matter) are playing wrong.

Munchkin not want to munchkin? :P

But seriously, I agree with this. Gotta have a backstory or thematic event for doing this. My Lore Bard has the flaw of seeking fame and money and he saw our War Cleric absolutely wreck undead and the lights went on for him. Sold his soul to Bane (the Cleric's god) to be a Warlock and his herald. Power->Fame/money.

Citan
2016-04-12, 03:01 PM
Hi! ;)

Well, I'd say basically "don't multiclass until you feel you need to". As long as you hold your own in a fight and feel you are a significant contribution to the party overall, stay Bard. You cannot go wrong with it.

Now, from a theorycrafting point of view, there are several good classes to dip into for 2 levels.

Rogue : another Expertise and Cunning Action mainly. I'm not sure why a pure spellcaster would really use it though, unless you really need the mobility because you bias towards melee casting or something similar.

Warlock: Eldricht Blast obviously and melee cantrips.

Sorcerer: Draconic could be good if you had very high DEX. Not very probable for Lore Bard. Shadow Sorcerer would be nice for the added survivability. You also gain useful cantrips and spells.

Fighter: Action Surge is the big one, but gaining proficiencies with medium armor and shield can be very nice too for protection.

Cleric: many nice spells and cantrip, and most domains can be useful. Only one level should be enough though.

Druid: same. Wild Shape useful for RP/fluff only.

Wizard: only Diviner is good imo for only 2 lvls.

Paladin: good for Valor Bard, not for Lore Bard (at least for only 2 dip).

Edgerunner
2016-04-12, 03:12 PM
I actually started out Pali 2 and then went into Lore Bard for the rest.

Armor, weapons,Divine Sense, Lay on Hands, Fighting Style, Spellcasting, Divine Smite... all for 2 lvls and with Bard's Magical Secrets I get the Pali Spells much earlier.

I still fight front line but my party buffs are now better than ever.

Rub
2016-04-12, 04:21 PM
I've seen this discussed before, and there are some dips that are very useful, but anything beyond 2 levels screws you out of the final Magical Secrets (Wish). Even that 2nd level takes away an ability modifier/feat. But the "capstone" Superior Inspiration feature is kind of weak, so a 1 level dip could really be a boost to your party.

As someone else mentioned, a 1 level dip into Life Cleric can be a big help to your party if you lack healing. Plus you get medium armor & shields if you are a Lore Bard. Guidance is a great Cantrip to pick up also.

1 level Rogue gives you a bonus proficiency, thieve's tools, Expertise in 2 additional skills, Sneak Attack and Thieves' Cant. Basic Rougue skills if your party lacks one.

Warlock (Bardlock) seems to be a common 2 level dip for Invocations. Agonizing Blast is a must; Repelling Blast or Eldridge Spear are popular as the 2nd, but Devil's Sight (if you don't have Darkvision), Armor of Shadows (Lore Bard), Eldrich Sight, Fiendish Vigor & Mask of Many Faces are all worth considering. Overall, I think Warlock works better with Valor Bard (or getting Medium Armor & shield proficincies through race or Feat) so you can be more of a front line fighter. Then take Warcaster and combo it with Dissonant Whispers and the Warlock Cantrip Booming Blade. If the target fails his Dissonant Whispers save, hit him with a Booming Blade as he leaves for an additional 2-8d8 damage depending on your level!

Rub
2016-04-12, 05:00 PM
Personally though, using my backstory as having a Drill Sargent father whom I eventually rebelled against for detesting my passion for music and mischief, I started my character as a 1 level fighter then switched to Lore Bard. The benefit to starting as a Fighter is CON & STR saves. Since I have +3 to DEX & CHA, it helps to spread out Saving Throw bonuses; CON for concentration spells especially. Also, I got 2 extra hit points.

Then the good stuff. 2nd Wind was really helpful in the early levels and still comes in handy as it is a bonus action. Proficiencies in all weapons (mostly for longbow) is great too. But without a doubt, the ability to use Medium Armor and a Shield plus the Defense Fighting Style is the biggest benefit. With a Breastplate, Shield, a +3 DEX, and +1 Defense FS, I'm at a 19 AC. Heck, I have a better AC than our tank! In a nutshell, I think he's a better Valor Bard than a single classed Valor Bard, with the additional Features the Lore Bard brings.

So if your party doesn't need the extra healing ability or Rogue skills and you only want to do a 1 level dip, I highly recommend starting off as a Fighter then going Lore Bard the rest of the way.

MBControl
2016-04-12, 06:07 PM
When it comes to multi-classing I'm a bit boring. I feel that you should only multi-class when it serves the story of the character. I do not enjoy min/max style of play, for me it's about the story.

That being said, I believe there is room for multi-classing. For example, I have a Barbarian that multi-classed to Bard, because his backstory had him being rescued to a beautiful lady bard, and from that point on, he was trying to impress her, and felt that changing his life to match hers was the best way to do so. Is he a great musician, no. He mainly drums on logs and tables with sticks, but his shear dedication to the craft, makes him a passable bard.

He is not designed in anyway to be a great bard, but who knows, one day.

Drackolus
2016-04-12, 07:03 PM
Man! I love me that 5e lore bard.
In my experience, cutting words eats up all your reactions. Spiritual weapon, telekinesis, and and aura of vitality can give you some slammin' bonus actions. Your main action dissapears by level 11. Ouch. However, feating spell sniper or m.initiate for eb lets you get most of the advantages without screwing progression. Sure, losing the +cha sucks, but you want to use concentration for other things than hex anyway.
If you're going for a dip, I'd recommend life cleric for the armor and extra healing - and no lost slots. Even nets you bless and the awesome Guidance. Remember that you want 14 dex OR 15 str for armor.

Ruslan
2016-04-12, 07:05 PM
Definitely multiclass. As the multiclassing rules stand, any charisma-based character would be a fool not to take Warlock 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?484603-To-all-the-Warlock-2-dips-Please-just-die).

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 07:34 PM
Man! I love me that 5e lore bard.
In my experience, cutting words eats up all your reactions. Spiritual weapon, telekinesis, and and aura of vitality can give you some slammin' bonus actions. Your main action dissapears by level 11. Ouch. However, feating spell sniper or m.initiate for eb lets you get most of the advantages without screwing progression. Sure, losing the +cha sucks, but you want to use concentration for other things than hex anyway.
If you're going for a dip, I'd recommend life cleric for the armor and extra healing - and no lost slots. Even nets you bless and the awesome Guidance. Remember that you want 14 dex OR 15 str for armor.

This sums it all up perfectly. Although between secrets and faerie fire, hypnotic pattern, major image, hold X etc. you've got some powerful concentration spells. It's how to attack while concentrating that matters. There's ranged weapons, but if you're holding an instrument then that's a bit harder. Throwing daggers is always a fun option and works thematically, too.

Heavily agree on cutting words with your reactions and also that's where you'll use a lot of your BI dice in general.

Omen D&D
2019-06-03, 02:54 PM

I advice lvl 3 in rogue/mastermind, you will get a lot of good support features and, the xtra 3 languages (one being thieves cant) is a welcome edition for RP, sneak attack. This can be mixed great with your control spells.

Anything more and you lose out on getting 9th lvl spells. and anything less, loses you all the support features mastermind gets you. I don't see losing superior inspiration or the final magical secrets as a bad thing, at lvl 17 you can already cast so much and the final features i think depends on what you have been wanting you're bard to do. IF you need that final magical secrets. Then don't take it. BUt i think you are missing out on the support stuff

sithlordnergal
2019-06-03, 03:23 PM

So, I would take a single level of Warlock, and take Hexblade. That will give you an excellent damage cantrip, Shield, better armor, and access to a few more damaging first level spells. Skip the Hex spell though, you don't need it

Tallytrev813
2019-06-03, 03:31 PM
You just got one of the best bard features. You could take 2 warlock (popular). If damage isn't needed and you are not a gish (lore) paladin/rogue/fighter is worse. Take 2 warlock now or take nothing

^^^
This guy nailed it.

If your party needs a little more DPR from you in favor of support, then take 2 of Hexblade Warlock. You'll get a shield for +AC, Eldritch Blast, and 2 Invocations (Agonizing blast and Mask of Many Faces). Eldritch Blast becomes your new go-to action (in favor of Vicious Mockery) for pretty solid Force damage, and you gain At-Will Disguise Self.

If your party doesnt need the Damage, go straight Bard.

Disclaimer - im assuming you're Lore - its all i play.

JackPhoenix
2019-06-03, 11:41 PM
I'm sure your advice would've been appreciated.

If it came 3 years ago, that is. As it is, thread necromancy is frowned upon.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-04, 12:26 AM
I'm sure your advice would've been appreciated.

If it came 3 years ago, that is. As it is, thread necromancy is frowned upon.

I clicked it from the front page - look at the time stamps on the posts. This whole page is from today. Was that intentionally snarky?

sithlordnergal
2019-06-04, 01:00 AM
I clicked it from the front page - look at the time stamps on the posts. This whole page is from today. Was that intentionally snarky?

I don't think he's accusing you of the thread necro. If you look, Omen necro'd the thread, and we found it

JackPhoenix
2019-06-04, 01:03 AM

It's on the front page because Omen D&D responded to more than 3 years old thread. The post you've replied to is over 3 years old. It doesn't matter how old "this whole page" is, when the post before that was made 3 years ago. Thread necromancy is against the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

Keravath
2019-06-04, 08:11 AM
Personally, I liked the 2 level hexblade warlock multiclass for my lore bard. It fit the character back story and was taken early so at level 5 he was 3 lore bard/ 2 hexblade warlock.

This multiclass delays spell progression by one spell level and loses the level 19 ASI.

However, in exchange I added the following:
- proficiency with medium armor and shields as well as martial weapons. With a 14 dex and a +2 shield, my AC at level 13 is 20. It will go higher if I get some magic armor. I also have the shield spell from hexblade warlock giving an AC of 25 if I want to use a reaction.
- hexblades curse - add proficiency damage if doing damage
- additional spells and cantrips - shield, hex and especially eldritch blast
- invocations - agonizing blast and one other - could be devils sight for seeing in the dark (great for races without darkvision), mask of many faces for at will disguise self and some fun social interactions, or repelling blast for a 10' push back on EVERY eldritch blast bolt for some cool crowd control and the ability to push opponents off cliffs.
- two short rest first level spell slots for additional fuel for shield or other first level spells like dissonant whispers or faerie fire

Some of the benefits depend on your stats. If your dex is higher than 14 (which it likely is) then the AC boost may mean less ... but you still get to use a shield and you still have a hand free for spell casting.

So far, I have enjoyed the trade off, the hardest level was level 6 for me before getting third level spells but the at will damage from agonizing blast compensated.

I find that often the bard will cast a concentration spell for cc like hypnotic pattern or similar and then has to fall back on cantrips for about 50% of the combat rounds (This depends on whether your campaign runs one big combat/day or several encounters - the more encounters and the less you can afford to blow all your spell resources on one fight). I found vicious mockery to be extremely lacking. There is nothing quite like casting vicious mockery at level 6 and doing 2 damage (assuming that the target fails the very commonly resisted save) and then comparing to 2d10+charismax2 for agonizing blast with a very rarely resisted damage type.

I've even found occasion to use hex when the best action my bard could take was to stack damage on a difficult target (I'd tried blindness and the target's save was very large).

At 4th level the spells I took were dimension door and polymorph. Polymorph can be fun and can either CC a boss or save one of your team mates with a timely transformation but I didn't find waiting a couple of levels for these to be much of a problem since I could do a lot with the 3rd level spells already. However, delay of spell levels is probably the biggest issue and taking the levels of hexblade now might make you feel like you are really slowing your progression while when I took it early it just became a part of the character so it didn't really feel behind and I always had agonizing blast to fall back on for damage.

As for magical secrets, I took fireball and counterspell at 6 and wall of force and circle of power at 10. There are a lot of good choices depending on which way you want to go with the character.

P.S. You probably don't want more than 2 levels of multiclassing IF you think the character might get to level 20 since the level 18 magical secrets will give you access to any 9th level spells of your choice and makes a decent capstone.

Tallytrev813
2019-06-04, 02:40 PM
It's on the front page because Omen D&D responded to more than 3 years old thread. The post you've replied to is over 3 years old. It doesn't matter how old "this whole page" is, when the post before that was made 3 years ago. Thread necromancy is against the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

So then dont you think your comments would be better served directed towards the person who revived the thread?

I'm not sure why i was singled out by you when there's a whole page of posters above me all of whom responded. Particularly with a post that could be read as possessing rude tone.

MaxWilson
2019-06-04, 02:43 PM
So then dont you think your comments would be better served directed towards the person who revived the thread?

I'm not sure why i was singled out by you when there's a whole page of posters above me all of whom responded. Particularly with a post that could be read as possessing rude tone.

I'm pretty sure post #34 was a response to post #31, not #33. I.e. JackPhoenix was responding to Omen. He even made a point of echoing Omen's use of the word "advice."

Roland St. Jude
2019-06-04, 02:48 PM
Sheriff: This is a good example of: 1) why thread necromancy is disfavored and 2) why vigilante modding is unhelpful. Both are prohibited here.