PDA

View Full Version : Truenamer fixes and rewrites.

frogglesmash
2016-04-11, 01:09 PM
Truenamers are such a neat concept and I've often wanted to play one, but as we all know their crunch doesn't quite support their fluff. I am aware that there have been numerous proposed fixes/rewrites of truenaming, but I've never actually looked at them myself, so I was wondering what y'all consider to be the best ones.

Jormengand
2016-04-11, 01:11 PM
I have one! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?397500-The-Worldspeaker-revisited-Truenamer-PEACH) :smalltongue:

Psyren
2016-04-11, 01:12 PM
My personal favorite is Kyeudo's Fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?217713-A-Book-of-Words-An-Expanded-Truenamer-Fix-PEACH&p=11971747#post11971747), which is basically the existing one with as few changes as possible to make it a functional T3.

Cosi
2016-04-11, 01:55 PM
None of the fixes I've seen are particularly compelling, because the class is really bad. If you want to get anything functional out of the class, you basically need to bin the whole idea of skill based magic. In 3e, skills rise too slowly relative to level and too quickly relative to optimization to make skill checks a reasonable choice for determining character power. The +1 bonus for having 12 ranks instead of 11 ranks is something you might not notice in an entire night of rolling, but simply getting guidance of the avatar on stick is larger than the entire range of non-epic advancement.

Once you eliminate the idea of skill-check based magic, I see basically two facets of the Truenamer that are interesting: the idea of "true names" and reversible spells. While I'm sure you could do something with reversible spells, it doesn't seem particularly truename-y outside of D&D's specific implementation. So I would try to fix the class by focusing on "true names". Which probably means a class that learns magic in a sort of sphere-like way. You learn the true-name for "fire" and then you get a bunch of different kinds of fire magic. Or "animal" and a bunch of kinds of animal magic. I don't know of a fix that does that, but it seems like the best way to get something that is recognizably a "Truenamer" and not stupid.

You might also try a PrC that grants language magic, power word spells, and planar binding.

SorenKnight
2016-04-11, 02:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that Dreamscarred Press is doing something on the concept of true name based magic, Tzocatl, the First Language (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481694-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-quot-Tzocatl-The-First-Language-quot&). There's a playtest document in the thread that has an entirely redone version of truenaming.

digiman619
2016-04-11, 02:25 PM
There's also Interjection Games's Libram of the First Language.

mabriss lethe
2016-04-11, 03:25 PM
While I've never had the time to write it all out, one idea I've had to fix the truenamer is to make it function more like the way force powers do in saga edition, with a basic effect that improves with skill checks, and expand/change recitations to be something like a TOB stance.

Starbuck_II
2016-04-11, 05:24 PM
One fix, stop excepting the Bard to cast as well as the wizard.

The Truenamer is the bard (only up to 6th).

The True Caster is the 9th level one.

I made the True Warrior, but I forget where I put the link.