PDA

View Full Version : Weapon material Xbow

Chewychunga
2016-04-11, 01:36 PM
Was looking at crossbows and wondering if they are metal and can be made from different metals to gain the bonus's of the metal or if they are made of wood or even both? and gain the benefits of both materials
what would you suggest is best mundane Xbow / materials

also is there any advantage of wood weapons over steel weapon? or steel over wood?

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 01:42 PM
There aren't that many special materials that boost projectile throwers: bows, slings, blowguns
Serren and dragonbone are the ones I can think of.
It is not unreasonable to assume a heavy crossbow is significantly metal (the bow itself and the mechanism undoubtedly are) forl ighter xbows the wood might be the dominating material. Either way not many metals give a benefit.

Chewychunga
2016-04-11, 01:45 PM
was thinking Baatorian Green Steel myself for the +1 to damage

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 01:52 PM
was thinking Baatorian Green Steel myself for the +1 to damage

Ah but it doesn't transfer the property to the bolts.
But since the text does say "any piercing...weapon" not specifying melee I'd say it is legit. A green steel mechanism and all that.

Chewychunga
2016-04-11, 02:31 PM
so back to first question.. are Xbows metal or wood or both? could i make a Baatorian Green Steel serrenwood crossbow to get benefits of both?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-11, 02:37 PM
Psionic deep crystal projectile weapons grant +2d6 to damage when you spend 2 pp on your attack. Otherwise, it's mostly just a matter of hardness for when you're being sundered (or you have a multipurpose weapon, such as an elvencraft longbow, which is both a melee weapon and a projectile weapon).

PallentisLunam
2016-04-11, 02:39 PM
There doesn't seem to be anyour RAW that says yes or no directly but historically crossbows were made of both wood and metal and since you could make an adamantine dark wood spear I see no reason why you couldn't make a baatorian green steel serrenwood crossbow

Chewychunga
2016-04-11, 03:14 PM
ok so using this info the best bow i can come up with is a

acid washed folded metal baatorian green steel serrenwood long range dwarvencraft MW light Xbow with oil chamber and wand chamber
total cost 7735 at creation and 1100 after for chambers
+1 hit and damage with ghost touch and +12 to saves
anyone have better?

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 03:36 PM

acid washed folded metal baatorian green steel serrenwood long range dwarvencraft MW light Xbow with oil chamber and wand chamber
anyone have better?

Ornate, Oerthblood, Legendary (War of the Lance, +5 to hit), Hellforged
Trick is finding someone to make it

DrMotives
2016-04-11, 03:41 PM
The only thing I can think to add is another Dragon article had melee mods for crossbows, like a reinforced stock to make it double as club, or and axe or knife blade attached. While enchanting the melee part is the same as enchanting a separate weapon like armor spikes would be, the advantage is you still threaten spaces around you because you're holding a melee weapon at the ready. You could take AoOs with the melee portion of the crossbow.

Oh, one other upgrade you forgot. A gnomish crossbow sight, from A&EG. Allows you to treat the 3rd & farther range increments as 2 increments closer, will add an extra 150 gp to the cost.

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 03:50 PM
if magical: Axebow from MIC; it adds nothing to the price of an axe or a xbow but just makes them a nice single item

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-04-11, 04:02 PM
I'm fairly certain that making a crossbow with Baatorian Green Steel wouldn't provide any benefit - Baatorian Steel is good because it holds an edge extremely well, which isn't relevant to the crossbow itself... but making Green Steel crossbow bolts would work perfectly well.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-11, 04:11 PM
I'm fairly certain that making a crossbow with Baatorian Green Steel wouldn't provide any benefit - Baatorian Steel is good because it holds an edge extremely well, which isn't relevant to the crossbow itself... but making Green Steel crossbow bolts would work perfectly well.Green steel bolts combined with a deep crystal crossbow would do nicely on a manifester type, though.

Chewychunga
2016-04-11, 05:36 PM
what would the cost of the green steel arrows be? (only found online refrences to it dont know what book)
and why would the serrenwood give the arrows ghost touch then but not the green steel?

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 05:51 PM
what would the cost of the green steel arrows be? (only found online refrences to it dont know what book)
and why would the serrenwood give the arrows ghost touch then but not the green steel?
Greensteel ammunition costs 1/50th of what a normal weapon would
Serren bestows the ability because it says it bestows the ability.

Ashtagon
2016-04-12, 02:46 AM

anyone have better?

I'm pretty sure that by RAW, no item can benefit from more than one special material.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm: "If you make a suit of armor or weapon out of more than one special material, you get the benefit of only the most prevalent material."

Chewychunga
2016-04-16, 09:28 PM
where can i find that serrenwood bestows ability of ghosttouch on the arrows? dm said i can use serrenwood arrows if i wanted but unless using bow as club it wouldnt effect ghosts (unless i can find where it says otherwise)

Gildedragon
2016-04-17, 02:16 AM
Book of exalted deeds.