PDA

View Full Version : tracingk a monster

Nosta
2016-04-11, 04:05 PM
so I plan on killing a high cr wyvern and I was wondering if there are any items are spell that would allow me to track this beast? i'm a level 12 sorcerer so I can cast spells but I like to know if there is item that can force the creature to come to me

Keltest
2016-04-11, 04:11 PM
I think real proper tracking is one of the few things spellcasters have a difficult time emulating well. What sort of time and resources can you invest into finding this thing? Why are you fighting it? Can you afford to just go to the nearest village and find the local hunter to help you in finding it, or is it in barren uninhabited wilderness? Or do you not have a specific one in mind and just want to find any wyvern anywhere?

Urpriest
2016-04-12, 10:43 AM
I think real proper tracking is one of the few things spellcasters have a difficult time emulating well. What sort of time and resources can you invest into finding this thing? Why are you fighting it? Can you afford to just go to the nearest village and find the local hunter to help you in finding it, or is it in barren uninhabited wilderness? Or do you not have a specific one in mind and just want to find any wyvern anywhere?

In this particular case, mundane tracking won't help either: it's a wyvern, so it flies, you'd need a tracker who can hit an Epic DC.

An item that could force the creature to come to you would be pretty abusable, so that's unlikely to exist.

Depending on the distances involved, anything from Locate Creature to Scrying to Legend Lore would be appropriate.

Inevitability
2016-04-12, 11:01 AM
Circle Dance is a 3rd-level spell that allows you to determine the distance to a creature as long as you have firsthand knowledge of it. It appears on most spell lists, so casting it shouldn't be too difficult if you're a caster.

As a bonus, you also learn a bit about the wyvern's current state.