PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Loading up on acquired templates

Jowgen
2016-04-11, 05:21 PM
Due to the nature of your eccentric character build, you somehowreach a point where gaining more class levels no longer appeals to you. So, instead you set about acquiring as many templates on your PC as you possibly can, LA be damned. What templates do you go for, why and how?

Lets assume base-race/type is utterly pliable here; but there must be a legitimate non-Savage Species way of acquiring said templates (or at least some fluff suggesting how).

To start off, I'd most certainly go with Fire Souled (Dragon 314), especially if I can also swing Saint for even more Cha and make that fire-subtype 100% beneficial.

Troacctid
2016-04-11, 05:34 PM
Half-Fey (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a) is pretty solid. Very good SLAs, and flight. Saint is quite strong if you can swing it, with some pretty incredible defensive power. Shadow-Bound (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030728a) is decent as well, giving you concealment as well as an at-will Shadow Walk SLA—just make sure you have a good Will save. It combines well with Dark, so you can use the concealment to hide in plain sight; plus, they both give stealth bonuses, which stack. Mulhorandi Divine Minion (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) gives you free-action wild shape, which is fantastic.

Amphetryon
2016-04-11, 05:43 PM
Dark, Voidmind, Spellwarped, Werecrocodile. I don't believe there are any inherent conflicts there.

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 05:52 PM
Necropolitan
Dragonborn

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-11, 06:05 PM
There is no limit to the number of strains of lycanthropy you can gain. The only real limits are your type and size, really, and those two limitations can be easily overcome via shapeshifting magics.

Jack_Simth
2016-04-11, 06:19 PM
There is no limit to the number of strains of lycanthropy you can gain. The only real limits are your type and size, really, and those two limitations can be easily overcome via shapeshifting magics.
... which can, at least in part, be provided by prior strains of lycanthropy; a medium humanoid can be infected by a Large or Small lycanthrope. A small humanoid (lycanthrope in animal form) can be infected by a medium or Tiny. A large humanoid (lycanthrope in hybrid form) can be infected by a Medium or Huge....

MisterKaws
2016-04-11, 07:36 PM
... which can, at least in part, be provided by prior strains of lycanthropy; a medium humanoid can be infected by a Large or Small lycanthrope. A small humanoid (lycanthrope in animal form) can be infected by a medium or Tiny. A large humanoid (lycanthrope in hybrid form) can be infected by a Medium or Huge....

The real question would be: can you mix the hybrid forms?

Jack_Simth
2016-04-11, 07:48 PM
The real question would be: can you mix the hybrid forms?
No specific reason why not, unless it all merges into one big alternate form that has several hybrid shapes. You get an arbitrarily large Wisdom score, regardless, as well as an absurd number of hit dice (and, of course, the BAB, saves, and skill points to go with that).

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 07:51 PM
Ghostwalk Ghost template is easy to slap on

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-11, 07:59 PM
Ghostwalk Ghost template is easy to slap onIt's even easier (and more preferable) to avoid.

MisterKaws
2016-04-11, 10:17 PM
If you could indeed fuse Hybrid forms, I think Were-Fleshraker and Were-Brine Swimmer(Entomanothrope) would be an interesting combination.

"I think this Dragon-slaying machine of destruction/human-sized Dinossaur isn't quite deadly enough, let's fuse it with an oversized Mantis Shrimp, that'll be a great idea!"

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-11, 10:28 PM
Red dragonspawn abomination/lolth touched/unseelie fey/half fey could be interesting, especially if you roll really well on the abomination chart. Insane physical stats, +1 sorcerer level (minimum), spell likes out the wazoo, breath attack, DR/cold iron if you have high enough HD, extraordinary flight, +7 natural armor. Cast spells, use spell likes, or just snap their necks. It starts to become even more interesting if you get lucky roll another level of sorcerer on the abomination chart and get something cool like fast healing for the other one. I believe you may now refer to yourself as the juggernaut.

EDIT: Add in Radiant, why not. Fast healing, DR, massive Charisma boost and a very nice Dex boost, some nice immunities (including to stun), and even more spell likes.

EDIT2: I'm referring to the Half Fey class from savage progressions, so that may or may not count. Though now I wonder if there's actually a way to get these templates to work together. Let's see.

whatever race you pick as a base + radiant half troll (outsider -> giant, so giant) -> red dragonspawn abomination (becomes dragon type) -> lolth touched -> half fey (the classed version, which states that it can be acquired, becomes a fey) -> We'll throw on dark.

So, you are now a radiant half troll red dragonspawn lolth touched half fey dark creature.

Know(Nothing)
2016-04-11, 10:44 PM
Necropolitan, followed by as many Evolved Undead templates as you wish-- it specifically says that it can be gained more than once. To trigger it, you normally have to be undead for 100 years to have a 1% chance at gaining it due to your undead connection to the Negative Energy Plane-- so any number of demiplane time trait tricks, hanging out in the NEP, or what have you, can bump up that percentage up to an eventual certainty. Stack to your heart's content/the limits of your DM's patience.

Doctor Despair
2016-04-12, 01:20 AM
I would think that the main issue with stacking lycanthrope templates is that they tend to have very large increments of level adjustment that would probably get you killed by disproportionately strong enemies in the course of gaining the templates. :p

A_S
2016-04-12, 08:10 AM
I would think that the main issue with stacking lycanthrope templates is that they tend to have very large increments of level adjustment that would probably get you killed by disproportionately strong enemies in the course of gaining the templates. :p
The OP specifies that we're ignoring LA here...like, say, if you're playing a PC who has hit level 20 and your DM has told you the campaign won't be going epic.

Nar Fiendbond gives you the Half-Fiend template, if you're a humanoid.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-04-12, 09:29 AM
Use planar familiar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?484493-Fun-With-Planar-Familiar) to give yourself all four templates. They're normally inborn, but they're acquirable via the spell.

ATHATH
2016-04-12, 10:02 AM
Check out the Template That Can Be Granted by Spells section of Uncle Kitty's Guide to Template Based Shenanigans.

There were a bunch of Dragon Magazine articles that had templates that could be applied to make a creature a Ghoul, Wight, etc. when it meets the conditions for the formation of those creatures.

Here are a few more:
Shadow-Walker
Blooded One
Drider
Ka-Tainted
Ghost Companion+Wolf Shape Shenanigans