PDA

View Full Version : kukri build help

Nosta
2016-04-11, 08:07 PM
so I want to build a kukri user but i'm not sure what class or race I should go with
along with feats i'm having trouble figuring out
can someone point me the right direction?

KillianHawkeye
2016-04-11, 08:32 PM
Hmm... well you're going to need to be a bit more specific about what kind of fighting style you're thinking of besides just "YAY, KUKRIS!"

Being a light weapon, it's a valid starting point for Two-Weapon Fighting. Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Weapon Finesse, that kind of stuff. In that case, you can go with Rogue if you can figure out a reliable means of getting Sneak Attack. There's also Tome of Battle if it's available; the Tiger Claw discipline in particular is good for that sort of thing.

Beyond that, any class that improves your BAB, or a prestige class that enhances your preferred fighting style, are all good. Race doesn't really matter that much as far as I can tell, at least not without having a better plan for your build.

Denomar
2016-04-11, 09:06 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder, and what level of cheese are you willing to tolerate?

DrMotives
2016-04-11, 09:15 PM
The kukri is the signature weapon of the Gurkha, who are Hindu soldiers from Nepal. According Wiki, their battle cry was "Glory to Great Kali, Gurkhas approach!" I suggest you look to Nepalese culture for inspiration. Kali is the goddess of death, if your campaign doesn't include her, try to find the closest deity that matches. Your kukri wielder would be a brave, honorable warrior. Tome of Battle would do the best to match up their reputation, with either Warblade or Swordsage, but Warblade seems more thematically appropriate.

Gildedragon
2016-04-11, 09:32 PM
Warblades benefit from Kukri use as it is a Tiger Claw weapon; it is good for crit fishing.
EWP Kaorti Resin Kukri is probably good

Inevitability
2016-04-12, 01:57 AM
Black Flame Zealot, perhaps? The lost caster levels hurt a lot, but you can make viable characters with it. Check out the Iron Chef that dealt with it for inspiration.

Willie the Duck
2016-04-12, 07:14 AM
For PrCs, Tempest is a good twf fighter build, or Whirling Dervish which gets to capitalize a lot on the massive number of attacks. Neither give any particular damage bonuses, however, so you're trying to take down your enemies with death by a thousand cuts. Adding some rogue to that and having a flanking buddy might help, as might some fun from ToB.

All of that assumes that you want to utilize a light weapon for the twf aspect. There's also the one-handed unarmed grapple with one hand, then attack with a light weapon while the enemy with a two-handed sword can't do anything but try to get out of the grapple. Or twf-shield-bashing (The core rules for shield bashing assume that the shield is the off-hand weapon, but if your DM goes along with it, you could perhaps define a large shield as your primary weapon, and the kukri as the offhand).

Given that kukris are weapons, not ways of life, pretty much anything you want. To capitalize on the kukri's strengths, however, one might focus on the fact that it is a light, finessable, twf-able, high crit range weapon. Finding additional damage per hit (especially anything that gets multiplied on a crit) is a strong start.

Darrin
2016-04-12, 08:20 AM
3.5 or Pathfinder, and what level of cheese are you willing to tolerate?

More specifically, is abusing Lightning Maces/Aptitude Kukris allowed?

theboss
2016-04-12, 09:00 AM
Being a light weapon, it's a valid starting point for Two-Weapon Fighting. Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, Weapon Finesse, that kind of stuff.
Those feats are actully very good for Kukri build (powerful crit, dex-based attacks, kinda rogue build).
I think you should go 2 dips in fighter class for some extra feats and choose Hidden Blade PrC in Complete Warrior, it has full BAB, Improved feint as a free action (all attacks are considered sneak attacks), you can always take 10 at bluff checks, Improves sneak attack dice, Intelligence to AC (while not wearing armor, you can take mithral light armor tho and then you considered as not wearing armor) and some other cool things.. Just go check it in Complete Warrior.. BTW i suggest you should also go 3 level swashbuckler in order to get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat and Intelligence to damage..
Edit: Daring Outlaw is a smart choice if you want to go for Swasbuckler dips ( 3 levels is the best choice in my opinion).
Good Luck

ColdFire2112
2016-04-12, 12:57 PM
Intelligence to AC (while not wearing armor, you can take mithral light armor tho and then you considered as not wearing armor)

Unfortunately, this part does not work, though the rest of the advice is solid. In 3.5, mithral will lighten heavy armor to medium and medium armor to light, but light armor remains light armor. Additionally, if you are using Pathfinder rules, keep in mind that it reduces the penalties, but does not change proficiency requirements like it does in 3.5.

That said, non-armor items that enhance AC, like bracers of armor, rings of protection, etc., should be fine as well if using that class or one with a similar ability.

frost890
2016-04-12, 01:05 PM
You may want to look up the weapon master prestige class. It will increase your crit range even further. This will set you up for getting a critical almost every time.

ComaVision
2016-04-12, 01:06 PM
Those feats are actully very good for Kukri build (powerful crit, dex-based attacks, kinda rogue build).
I think you should go 2 dips in fighter class for some extra feats and choose Hidden Blade PrC in Complete Warrior, it has full BAB, Improved feint as a free action (all attacks are considered sneak attacks), you can always take 10 at bluff checks, Improves sneak attack dice, Intelligence to AC (while not wearing armor, you can take mithral light armor tho and then you considered as not wearing armor) and some other cool things.. Just go check it in Complete Warrior.. BTW i suggest you should also go 3 level swashbuckler in order to get Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat and Intelligence to damage..
Edit: Daring Outlaw is a smart choice if you want to go for Swasbuckler dips ( 3 levels is the best choice in my opinion).
Good Luck

1. He means the Invisible Blade PrC.
2. The class does let you feint as a free action at the fifth level but only once per round, so far from being all attacks are considered sneak attacks.
3. As mentioned, mithral light armour is still considered light armour. Also, the int to AC is capped by your IB levels.

Pretty close to being an OK prestige class, too bad they screwed it up with stupid limitations.

EDIT: Also, I don't think there is anything that widens the critical threat range more than the Disciple of Dispater PrC.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 03:46 PM
Could you refluff the daggerspell mage as a kukri mage? You'd get sneak attack (provided you already had +1d6) and only lose one or two caster levels.

martixy
2016-04-12, 05:46 PM
Feycraft kukris are also a thing that helps on the feat tax front. And it's a weapon template so it stacks with Kaorti resin.

commander panda
2016-04-12, 05:57 PM
if you can get your GM to approvve 3rd edition material, you should look up Mercinaries and find the Laminated and Serrated weapon modifications. laminated significantly increases your crit multiplier, serrated increases your crit range by 1 (i always rule that it ignores the 'no stacking' claus from improved crit, since said rule is stupid. if you can convince your GM to do the same, its a significant boost, coupled with keen or IC.)
both modifications are nonmagical and relatively cheap (i think around 300gp to apply both to a single weapon.) all around good stuff for a crit fisher.

Nosta
2016-04-12, 06:05 PM
Feycraft kukris are also a thing that helps on the feat tax front. And it's a weapon template so it stacks with Kaorti resin.

are not kaorti weapon made from the flesh of an evil being
if so can I still put abilities like sacred (burst) on it

I kinda want to make a evil outsider hunter who use kukri as her main weapon

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 06:24 PM
are not kaorti weapon made from the flesh of an evil being
if so can I still put abilities like sacred (burst) on it

I kinda want to make a evil outsider hunter who use kukri as her main weapon

It is made of resin secreted by the evil outsider crafting the weapon.
And yes. You totally can.

Ortesk
2016-04-12, 06:41 PM
Are you dead set on being good? I mean if not...

Human Fighter 6/Disciple of Dispater 8/Fighter 6

1) Power Attack (Needed for Disciple)

Human) Disciple Of Darkness (Needed for Disciple)

Fighter 1) Combat Expertise (Needed for Disciple)

Fighter 2) E.W.P Kaorti Resin Kukri

3) Two Weapon Fighting

Fighter 4) Weapon Focus: Kaorti Resin Kukri

6) Weapon Specialization: Kaorti Resin Kukri

Fighter 6) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

9) Improved Critical (Kaorti Resin Kukri)

12) whatever you want

15) whatever you want

Fighter 8) Greater Weapon Focus

18) whatever you want

Fighter 10) whatever you want

Fighter 12) Greater Weapon Specialization

With Serrated, Laminated steel, Kaorti Resin Kukri's you should have base stats of 17-20/X5

Disciple of Dispater bumps the crit range twice over, with it saying Improved critical works on it. So...I want to say 5-20/X5? Correct me if my math is wrong

Disciple wasn't reprinted later on, so it should be good to go. Serrated and Laminated Steel is from A&E