PDA

View Full Version : So which of these two options is "best"?

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 08:12 AM
So for starters know this is a bad idea but wanted to make a halfling barbarian dual wielder, to help him out I thought of two passable MC builds first one is to pick 3 levels champion and 4 levels spell less hunter ranger at some point in his career.

The other one is instead of champion pick 3 levels swashbuckler for expertise, another skill and CHA to initiative. :)

Not interested in hearing that it's not optimized, know that it's far from that. :)
Just curious which of the builds that would be best and how to take the levels, were thinking after 5 barb just take the MC stuff right away and finish with taking the remaining stuff as Barb.

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-12, 08:34 AM
Neither one stands out as particularly good at all. Champion is probably the least terrible multi-class option presented.

My question is why? Are you intentionally trying to build a mechanically weak character?

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 08:39 AM
Neither one stands out as particularly good at all. Champion is probably the least terrible multi-class option presented.

My question is why? Are you intentionally trying to build a mechanically weak character?

Nothing weak about it at all tho is it? expertise, sneak attack die, great initiative, rage, 3-4 attacks is not bad at all.
Ranger adds superiority die and horde breaker and an additional skill and a fighting style = amazing additions
Champ adds fighting style, action surge and 50% bigger crit chance = amazing additions
Swashbucker adds skill, expertise, 2 sneak attack die and better initiative = also amazing additions.

So where is the terrible things? I canīt see em? O_o

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 08:49 AM
Don't want to hear that it's not optimized, but wants to know which of the two is optimal? oookaaayyy.

What level is this character? What are your base stats?

I assume you've got a high Dex for the barbarian (and high Con). What is your charisma? If it's high, I like the swashbuckler. You get some fun flavor and bonuses to go with your barbarian - although thematically a barbarian swashbuckler is kind of strange.

Champion is probably your most optimized option with getting the second wind, action surge and improved crits. A backstory for this would probably be easier and make more sense.

But basically you've got:

Barbarian/Swashbuckler - small, lightly/unarmored, quick, sneaky
Barbarian/Champion - small, armored, smashmouth

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 08:52 AM
Don't want to hear that it's not optimized, but wants to know which of the two is optimal? oookaaayyy.

What level is this character? What are your base stats?

I assume you've got a high Dex for the barbarian (and high Con). What is your charisma? If it's high, I like the swashbuckler. You get some fun flavor and bonuses to go with your barbarian - although thematically a barbarian swashbuckler is kind of strange.

Champion is probably your most optimized option with getting the second wind, action surge and improved crits. A backstory for this would probably be easier and make more sense.

But basically you've got:

Barbarian/Swashbuckler - small, lightly/unarmored, quick, sneaky
Barbarian/Champion - small, armored, smashmouth

hehe well did not ask which one of the options are optimized just which one would work out best as I do not want a complete **** char. :)
Stats is same as I have put out on many other build threads since we have not had time to play for ages sadly I still got the option to choose
class, and having trouble to decide what I want to play lol. with racial modifiers he will have STR 18 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 16.

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 08:54 AM
hehe well did not ask which one of the options are optimized just which one would work out best as I do not want a complete **** char. :)
Stats is same as I have put out on many other build threads since we have not had time to play for ages sadly I still got the option to choose
class, and having trouble to decide what I want to play lol. with racial modifiers he will have STR 18 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 16.

What level? Those stats are nuts.

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 08:55 AM
What level? Those stats are nuts.

Sorry had a brainfart and forgot to write level, we are level 6 when I jump in, were DM up til then. :)

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-12, 08:58 AM
Nothing weak about it at all tho is it? expertise, sneak attack die, great initiative, rage, 3-4 attacks is not bad at all.
Ranger adds superiority die and horde breaker and an additional skill and a fighting style = amazing additions
Champ adds fighting style, action surge and 50% bigger crit chance = amazing additions
Swashbucker adds skill, expertise, 2 sneak attack die and better initiative = also amazing additions.

Because you lose more than you get. For barbarians multiclassing isn't bad in mid level campaigns but before that it is terrible. I'd go 3 levels hunter or swashbuckler if you want one of them

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 08:59 AM
Because you lose more than you get. For barbarians multiclassing isn't bad in mid level campaigns but before that it is terrible. I'd go 3 levels hunter or swashbuckler if you want one of them

Well a halfling barbarian needs to multiclass tho since he canīt use heavy weapons. ;)

fishyfishyfishy
2016-04-12, 09:00 AM

Two Weapon Fighting is pretty weak compared to other fighting styles, and you're dependant on Dexterity with your primary class being focused on Strength. In order to multi-class you will need the appropriate stats and you already have MAD. Swashbuckler stands out as the worst option considering this while Champion stands out as the best (imo). Unless your table is rolling for stats and you end up with fantastic rolls, this is just mechanically inferior.

Edit: yeah you should include your stats in the OP if it's for an existing character. You have ridiculous ability scores that are definitely not the norm for this edition.

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 09:03 AM
Sorry brainfart forgot to write level, we are level 6 when I jump in, were DM up til then. :)

Gotcha, so no ASI/Feats for you until you level in one of your classes.

Who else is in your party? Are there other front line fighters?

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 09:07 AM
Gotcha, so no ASI/Feats for you until you level in one of your classes.

Who else is in your party? Are there other front line fighters?

We have dragon sorcerer blaster, 2 Great weapon barbarians and a war cleric, so since most people is up front alot
is main reason I thought horde breaker would be nice since the melee enemies will naturally kinda get clumped up letting
me use that feature more often then not. :)

Spacehamster
2016-04-12, 09:10 AM
Two Weapon Fighting is pretty weak compared to other fighting styles, and you're dependant on Dexterity with your primary class being focused on Strength. In order to multi-class you will need the appropriate stats and you already have MAD. Swashbuckler stands out as the worst option considering this while Champion stands out as the best (imo). Unless your table is rolling for stats and you end up with fantastic rolls, this is just mechanically inferior.

Edit: yeah you should include your stats in the OP if it's for an existing character. You have ridiculous ability scores that are definitely not the norm for this edition.

Yeah know, we rolled 3 rows of 7 ability scores with roll 4 drop lowest and reroll 1īs, pretty much everyone got amazeballs stats due to the roll method. :)
And just really want a functional character as none of our group are well read up on 5e so nobody is really optimizing, Im the only one that reads a lot of
forum pots and checking out all the options. But just want a goofy but still functional char and thought a dual wielding crazed cannibal halfling would be fun to play. :)

Basically going to ask to get cooking tools instead of a instrument from my outlander background. ;)

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 09:27 AM
We have dragon sorcerer blaster, 2 Great weapon barbarians and a war cleric, so since most people is up front alot
is main reason I thought horde breaker would be nice since the melee enemies will naturally kinda get clumped up letting
me use that feature more often then not. :)

Well, horde breaker wouldn't happen in your Barbbuckler build until level 9 (or later if you try and move barbarian to level 5 to get your extra attack...which you really must do.)

But given that you've got 2 smashy smashy barbarians and a war cleric, I'd say it'd be fun to go with a Barbuckler. If you use flanking rules you can get damage dice on attacks for your sneak attack which could be huge.

Barb 3, Berserker
Rogue 3/Swashbuckler, get to add charisma modifier to initiative. Don't need advantage on sneak attack.

If you're into another idea, what about Barbarian/Arcane Trickster? I like this build:
Barb 3, Berserker
Rogue 3 - Arcane Trickster (Booming Blade, Green Flame Blade, Ray of Frost/PoisonSpray) and (feather fall, shield, find familiar?)

For both, I don't think it makes sense to take an animal totem since many of those will gain your friends advantage or abilities when within 5'. But as a swashbuckler, you want to move in and out. Berserker gives you a lot more with this type of build.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-12, 09:34 AM
Well a halfling barbarian needs to multiclass tho since he canīt use heavy weapons. ;)

First, he can, it is just bad

Second, why would you need to multiclass because heavy weapons are worse. You could go sword and broad or TWF as you did (or archery to get sharpshooter and crossbow expert and get melee). And even if you want TWF style and go TWF then you could take 1 fighter. With your stats 3 Hunter seems as the best option and pretty good compared to full barbarian, though

Malbrack
2016-04-12, 10:11 AM
With racial modifiers he will have STR 18 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 16.

Wow. Yeah, with those stats you'll be fine with just about anything.

Personally, I like 9 Bear-Totem Barbarian/11 Battle Master Fighter. At level 6, I'd be 5 Barbarian/1 Fighter, and then I'd level Fighter to 11 next. I'd use the level 4 ASI to get +2 Constitution (bringing Con to 20), so that you start off with maximum AC from Unarmored Defense.

Edit: Let me elaborate a little on my reasoning.

Starting at 5 Barb/1 Fighter, he spends his ASI on Con to get maximum AC from Unarmored Defense. Bear-Totem lets him take half damage from all but psychic for 3 fights per day (when he rages). With his Fighter level he picks Two-Weapon Fighting. He dual wields a rapier main hand and short sword off hand, attacking twice with the main hand and once with the off hand.

At 2 Fighter he gets Action Surge. At 3 he goes Battle Master to get Trip Attack. He can now trip an enemy with his first attack and attack that prone enemy with advantage on his next 2 attacks.

At 4 Fighter he grabs the Dual Wielder feat with his ASI. Now he can dual wield rapiers. 5 Fighter is admittedly a dead level in this multi-class combination.

Levels 6 and 8 Fighter grant two more feats. This allows him to pick up stuff like Sentinel, Savage Attacker, Lucky, or Magic Initiate (something like Warlock for Hex). Levels 7 and 10 improve Battle Master. And then finally 11 Fighter grants an additional Extra Attack, letting him make a total of 4 attacks.

Honestly, this character is kind of beast: durable with decent DPR. Really only two downsides: (1) missing out on the +10 damage of Great Weapon Master or Sharpshooter and (2) lack of area damage options.

bid
2016-04-12, 11:15 PM
With racial modifiers he will have STR 18 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 16.
Elk 3 / swashbuckler 3 with mage slayer as your first feat. Go grapple them and bring them back to the front row.

Once a Fool
2016-04-13, 04:27 AM
He dual wields a rapier main hand and short sword off hand, attacking twice with the main hand and once with the off hand.

This is not possible without the Dual Wielder feat; the rapier is not a light weapon.

Citan
2016-04-13, 10:14 AM
So for starters know this is a bad idea but wanted to make a halfling barbarian dual wielder, to help him out I thought of two passable MC builds first one is to pick 3 levels champion and 4 levels spell less hunter ranger at some point in his career.

The other one is instead of champion pick 3 levels swashbuckler for expertise, another skill and CHA to initiative. :)

Not interested in hearing that it's not optimized, know that it's far from that. :)
Just curious which of the builds that would be best and how to take the levels, were thinking after 5 barb just take the MC stuff right away and finish with taking the remaining stuff as Barb.
Frankly, with such great stats, I'd favor the Swashbuckler / Spellless Ranger without any hesitation.
Expertise can be used to make your character annoyingly good at hiding or shoving/grappling, Cunning Action will perfectly fit the concept of an enraged half-humanoid rushing in rage towards his enemies, and the free disengage will help you go from one enemy to another. You even get +3 to Initiative which is significant.
I'm not sure about whether Spellless Ranger would be better than Battlemaster though but it works good anyways so, since you put fluff above mechanics (which I commend you for ;)), go for it!

djreynolds
2016-04-14, 01:32 AM
Bard college of swords and swashbuckler. Pretty good.

PoeticDwarf
2016-04-14, 01:36 AM
This is not possible without the Dual Wielder feat; the rapier is not a light weapon.

True, many people still think you can dualwield non-light with light for some reason

acemcjack
2016-04-14, 01:48 AM
My Halfling Barbarian build is working really well ('Mongo the Irate' is her name).
I changed the build a bit over the course of our campaign ('cause my DM is a bit of an ass when it comes to multi-classing): I started out with a dual-wielder build, and took the Dual Wielder feet, but then changed it to the Shield Master feet.

Currently, we're level 7, and my build is Barb 5/ Ranger 2 with the dueling fighting style (for a +2 damage on all single weapon attacks). She wields a battleaxe and a small shield, and uses the shield to bash her enemies to the ground for advantage. Next level, I'm taking the Hunter archetype, and going Hordebreaker for the extra attack.

I just love playing this character. She's so nasty! :)