PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Eldritch Theurge help

SedraxisXNG
2016-04-12, 09:17 AM
Hey there guys. Kinda new in the forums here so i was looking for some help with a character I've been running. I'm playing in a pathfinder campaign that allows 3,5 classes and I'm using a custom warlock class ( can't post the link cuz i'm a noob, but from what i can remember, compared to the stock warlock, it gets the ability to double Eldritch blast charismamod/day but it deals 1d3 damage back to me for every extradice and it gets full attack with eldritch blast, even in ranged form, and the hd is bumped up to d8 ) , the reason for this is that pretty much out of the 5 PCs in the campaign, 3 are PF and one is a swordsage. With 23 hp at level 4. Who has gone negative HP in almost every encounter so far, but I digress ). The campaign will become gestalt starting on 10th level, so my character plan is Warlock12/Theurge10/Sorc8 and I'm running a Silverbrow human ( that sorc in there should make more sense now). Currently we're at level 5 with me being 1sorc/4war ( for precoscious apprentice ). The character is mostly themed to be a controller and forced into the face position ( 18 cha, beguiling influence), though once I get the stick-touch-spells-in-eldritch-blast class ability, disintegrates should cause his damage to explode, if need be ( for comparison, we have a healbot cleric, a pool-strike focused magus, the aforementioned swordsage built around shadowhand and tigerclaw and a rogue/monk that uses unarmed attacks and something that causes his to deal sneak attack damage when he charges ). My current spell-list is inconsequential, since i'll be swapping them out sooner or later. My current feats are : precoscious student, apprentice: spellcaster, mortalbane, and practiced spellcaster on my sorc( mainly for magic missiles). I've had a talk with the dm and we agreed to swap the apprentice feat for obtain familiar ( because a cohort made by me would be dangerous ). I should note that the DM has told us that there will be a choice in the campaign for us to do hard side-quests, that reward extra feats ( 5-6 of them ), so i'm sticking the crafting feats there, since i'm taking warlock up to 12th for imbue item. So this leads me to my question. Does anyone have any good suggestion for feats ?

Edit: custom feats from here like an eldritch metamagic thread i saw somewhere are subject to DM's approval, but we've been urged to look them up. I should also mention, the campaign is more PCs vs humanoids with class levels centric

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 09:23 AM
How committed are you to taking Eldritch Theurge to level 10? Investing two feats in binding would open up Anima Mage, which due to a poorly written clause advances binding levels even if you have none. Among other things, you can get extra spell slots, a minor initiative bonus, free metamagic, and eventually the ability to cast any spell as an immediate action, once a day. Also, free binder "levels" open up a world of possibilities, and synergize extremely well with warlocks and casters alike. It has very low entry requirements as well.

SedraxisXNG
2016-04-12, 09:29 AM
Well, not that much, i could stop at 5 for both the spell combining essences. Again, I'm going mostly for controller here, rather than straight up damage. The whole point of advancing Eldritch theurge to 10 was that I'm actually using the pathfinder sorceror, and then, a variant called sanctified sorceror which at 3rd level nets me channel energy and starting on 3rd, and every two levels, i get an extra spell from the cleric list. Which ends up making me a complete red mage. And the dm agreed to let Eldritch theurge advance those abilities as well. So by 20, I'd cast as a level 18 sorcerer, I'd have an effective warlock level of 22 and heal as a level 18 cleric. And I also tend to stack face check buffs so I can dominate social gatherings

Edit : When you say binding, you mean like THE binding? Tome of magic binder ?

Psyren
2016-04-12, 09:39 AM
Instead of Sorcerer, I recommend Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium. Not only do they qualify for ET, but they also cast Divine spells so they can get into Eldritch Disciple too. This will give you a route to get both 9th-level spells and Dark Invocations. You can either try to get Turn Undead, or use the official Eldritch Disciple adaptation (CM pg. 56) that lets you drop the turning requirement.

A sample build would be Warlock 1/Sha'ir 4/ED 5/ET 10. Invokes as Warlock 16 (Dark Invocation), casts as Sha'ir 18 (9th-level spells), Eldritch Spellweave (Arcane and Divine), 2 Divine Gifts (e.g. Healing Blast + Protective Aura), Spellblast and Greatreach Blast, along with DR and Fiendish Resilience.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 09:44 AM
Edit : When you say binding, you mean like THE binding? Tome of magic binder ?

Yup. That's the one. If you're getting divine casting as part of the progression, it might be too high of an opportunity cost for you, though. But it's something to consider. Tenebrous, for example, would be very useful for powering divine metamagic.

SedraxisXNG
2016-04-12, 09:44 AM
Instead of Sorcerer, I recommend Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium. Not only do they qualify for ET, but they also cast Divine spells so they can get into Eldritch Disciple too. This will give you a route to get both 9th-level spells and Dark Invocations. You can either try to get Turn Undead, or use the official Eldritch Disciple adaptation (CM pg. 56) that lets you drop the turning requirement.

A sample build would be Warlock 1/Sha'ir 4/ED 5/ET 10. Invokes as Warlock 16 (Dark Invocation), casts as Sha'ir 18 (9th-level spells), Eldritch Spellweave (Arcane and Divine), 2 Divine Gifts (e.g. Healing Blast + Protective Aura), Spellblast and Greatreach Blast, along with DR and Fiendish Resilience.

While that does sound interesting as hell, I'm already level 5 with 1sorc/4war, and level retraining is not allowed ( and magical effects that would allow it like psychic reformation and Embrace/Shun the dark sun do not exist in our campaign ). The problem is that despite me having a 2d6 blast most of the time, and a once per day scorching ray, even in my current form I'm blamed as the cheesiest character in the group ( despite the fact that i'm third in the damage scales, and that's only because the cleric never attacks or casts offensive magic and the magus only uses poolstrike ) . Although it could technically still be doable. As i mentioned levels 10 and upwards are gestalt

SedraxisXNG
2016-04-12, 09:46 AM
Yup. That's the one. If you're getting divine casting as part of the progression, it might be too high of an opportunity cost for you, though. But it's something to consider. Tenebrous, for example, would be very useful for powering divine metamagic.

Well, the dm pretty much okays everything official so I could even use the online vestige that gives you summon monster. Plus, from an RP-perspective, my character is supposed to be a descendant of Ashardalon, so it'd be funny as hell summoning him

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 10:30 AM
Well, the dm pretty much okays everything official so I could even use the online vestige that gives you summon monster. Plus, from an RP-perspective, my character is supposed to be a descendant of Ashardalon, so it'd be funny as hell summoning him

That would be pretty hilarious. . . "Why don't you take more time to summon me? Too busy for your great (x whatever) grandpappy?"

SedraxisXNG
2016-04-12, 10:36 AM
So Ashardalon starts acting like Roy's father ? I can totally see that. Though to be honest, you guys still haven't helped me with feats XD

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 10:57 AM
So Ashardalon starts acting like Roy's father ? I can totally see that. Though to be honest, you guys still haven't helped me with feats XD

I did recommend the two binding feats :smallcool: Other feats that might be useful are Mortalbane, improved initiative (always useful!), and extraordinary artisan might be useful if you want to be a crafter. Arcane Disciple might open up some interesting possibilities, especially if your DM allows you to use Dynamic Priest with it.

SedraxisXNG
2016-04-12, 11:00 AM
I already have mortalbane, and I'll give heavy consideration to the binding feats, because let's face it, warlock and binder belong together. Which book is extraordinary craftsman in ? And what's dynamic priest ?

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 03:05 PM
I forget the crafting feat's source (look up the crafting guide on minmax boards, it has it), but it reduces costs by 30%. Dynamic priest switches spells known and spells per day of divine casting over to Charisma (the intelligence counterpart is Academic Priest) while the DCs remain based on Wisdom; as a DM, I would allow it for Arcane Disciple but you'd have to ask yours.