PDA

View Full Version : Party Build Question.

SMac8988
2016-04-12, 10:21 AM
Two friends and I are starting a game shortly, and I was curious if our party looked functioning. My concern isn't so much being optimal as much as not being completely lacking.

As of now, we have Grundy, the half orc frenzy Berserker,, Konlad, our mountain dwarf lite bard, and Hobbes the lovable halfling beast master/rogue (not 100% of rogue subclass yet.) With Squeely Nord the boar, may change this but mainly for flavor at this tine.

Grundy is a typical barbarian with low int stats favoring a great axe, unless something more deadly shows up.

Konlad will be running as primary caster, and support.

And Hobbes is going ranged with a long bow, and riding the boar.

The ranger and bard will be running shared duty on healing, the best we can. And have split up most skills well.

So are we in a good position, or should we sway our paths some?

Addaran
2016-04-12, 11:03 AM
Seems like a well rounded party with backups for most roles in case someone is incapatiated. With the bard's ability to pick spells from any list, you should be golden.

JeffreyGator
2016-04-12, 11:29 AM
Are you rolling stats? If not mountain dwarf may be challenging for bard stats, but everyone needs con and medium armor lets you lower dex a bit.

The boar riding gives your Halfling a bit more mobility.

You are a little bit magic lite depending on what levels and era of play you are in. This should be fine in the first two tiers of play.

CaptAl
2016-04-12, 12:11 PM
Combat roles
Front liner? Check. Ranged? Check. Support caster? Check.

Out of combat roles
Skill monkey? Double check. Party face? Check. Ritual caster? Bard can do that, but isn't great at it.

You look like a solid group to me. If someone has a 13 intelligence I'd recommend picking up ritual caster (wizard) to clear up the Bard's spells known for more combat support spells.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-04-12, 01:14 PM
Um, not to be THAT guy, but halflings cannot use a longbow effectively, due to the heavy property, which states that small characters have disadvantage when using weapons with the heavy property. I don't care if you wish to rule around that, just bringing it up.

Other than that, the group seems like it should work fine.

SMac8988
2016-04-12, 02:36 PM
Um, not to be THAT guy, but halflings cannot use a longbow effectively, due to the heavy property, which states that small characters have disadvantage when using weapons with the heavy property. I don't care if you wish to rule around that, just bringing it up.

Other than that, the group seems like it should work fine.

I actually completely spaced on that.... Probably gonna have to switch to light cross bow then. Maybe pick up cross bow master then. Just reduced my range some.

Also Idk if we are ruling stats yet, I figure what would be best for the three of us

And I was thinking of going arcane trickster and picking up ritual caster, just not sure which sirius to get with it. Not normally a caster at all sooo

Gtdead
2016-04-12, 02:47 PM
Most of the social stuff will depend on the bard. Combat should be fine. At least till lvl 11 your party is very strong.