PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Darkness Trick question

Deadandamnation
2016-04-12, 10:41 AM
Anyone here should know about the Devil's Sight/Darkness combo right?

So assuming that I can cast Darkness on an object, like a stone, holded in my hand.

Can I do something like that?

1) Open my hand projecting Darkness
2) Attack with Adv
3) Close my hand ending the Darkness

All in the same turn.

Thx in advance

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 10:51 AM
Anyone here should know about the Devil's Sight/Darkness combo right?

So assuming that I can cast Darkness on an object, like a stone, holded in my hand.

Can I do something like that?

1) Open my hand projecting Darkness
2) Attack with Adv
3) Close my hand ending the Darkness

All in the same turn.

Thx in advance

You can also interact with one object or feature of the
environment for free, during either your move or your
action. For example, you could open a door during your
move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your
weapon as part of the same action you use to attack.
If you want to interact with a second object, you need
to use your action.

By this, I'd take it you can either open or close your hand on a turn without expending an action. To do both means you are taking an action, and unless you have a bonus action to attack or additional action through haste or some other means you won't be able to attack.

Why would you want to end the darkness?

Deadandamnation
2016-04-12, 10:56 AM
By this, I'd take it you can either open or close your hand on a turn without expending an action. To do both means you are taking an action, and unless you have a bonus action to attack or additional action through haste or some other means you won't be able to attack.

Why would you want to end the darkness?

Because in a party you have only two options:

A) a party made of warlock
B) stay away from party member when doing so

Otherwise you'll end humpering them, anyway thanks for the reply, i think a solution is to be a rogue (thief) to interact for free as a bonus action :)

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 10:59 AM

Otherwise you'll end humpering them, anyway thanks for the reply, i think a solution is to be a rogue (thief) to interact for free as a bonus action :)

True :)

But being a thief doesn't help you out. Your Cunning Action only allows you to take Dash, Disengage, or Hide. Object Interaction isn't part of that.

Deadandamnation
2016-04-12, 11:03 AM
True :)

But being a thief doesn't help you out. Your Cunning Action only allows you to take Dash, Disengage, or Hide. Object Interaction isn't part of that.

Thief level 3 feature named fast hands let you interact with any object as a bonus action, I think that in that case you can interact twice.

Giant2005
2016-04-12, 11:04 AM

It doesn't work like that. Your party have disadvantage for attacking blind, while also having advantage for attacking a blind target. It comes out a wash with them neither having advantage nor disadvantage.

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 11:06 AM
Thief level 3 feature named fast hands let you interact with any object as a bonus action, I think that in that case you can interact twice.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that would work. But it would also mean you are using your only bonus action to close your hand and therefore can't use your cunning action to move away from your target without taking an OA.

INDYSTAR188
2016-04-12, 11:48 AM
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, that would work. But it would also mean you are using your only bonus action to close your hand and therefore can't use your cunning action to move away from your target without taking an OA.

And since you 'turned off' the darkness you're right next to the bad guys who can now see you again.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-04-12, 01:28 PM
I have no idea whether closing your hand around an object with a Darkness spell actually suppresses the Darkness.

Seems shady.

What?

On a more serious note, my old FeyLock character used the Blink spell for this effect. That was wacky fun.

INDYSTAR188
2016-04-12, 01:48 PM
Seems shady.

What?

On a more serious note, my old FeyLock character used the Blink spell for this effect. That was wacky fun.

Last half-hour of work, this comment was perfect! Thanks for the laugh and the pick-me-up. Don't people sometimes use a light spell on a stone in a shuttered lantern? Could be like that?

BiPolar
2016-04-12, 01:50 PM
I have no idea whether closing your hand around an object with a Darkness spell actually suppresses the Darkness.

It does!

If the point you choose is on an object you are holding or one that isn’t being worn or carried, the darkness emanates from the object and moves with it. Completely covering the source of the darkness with an opaque object, such as a bowl or a helm, blocks the darkness.

Now, one could say that a hand isn't opaque, but i'd say completely closing your hand around it acts as an opaque object.

Whyrocknodie
2016-04-13, 07:14 PM
Opening and closing your hand around something really shouldn't be an 'Action' of any type. It's completely trivial, after all.

I might try and avoid this cheese by determining that 'darkness' spreads out more slowly than simple light or something... I'd probably just let it work though.