PDA

View Full Version : Can a whip be "light"

arrowstorm
2016-04-12, 10:50 AM
The title is everything. I don't think it is that unbalanced. If you want to use a whip now, you must take dual wielder, and you will have (probably) 1d4+1d8 average 7 damage, plus extra whip effects. 2 short swords is 2d6 or 7 average damage. Using a whip and a short sword, you have 1d4+1d6, or 6 average damage plus the whip stuff.

Is this game breaking?

I know dual wielding is bad, but it's cool.

DracoKnight
2016-04-12, 10:53 AM
It's not unbalanced to allow it to be light. As the weapons are currently designed, a whip should be 1d6. It needs another boon to be downgraded to 1d4 - a boon like the Light property.

Here's a great resource for weapon balance :smallbiggrin:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?378583-Weapon-Damage-Logic-Hot-to-Homebrew-and-Why-Some-Weapons-are-Trap-Options

GWJ_DanyBoy
2016-04-12, 11:00 AM
The title is everything. I don't think it is that unbalanced. If you want to use a whip now, you must take dual wielder,

This isn't true. You just need proficiency and you can whip all you want. Whip and duelist. Whip with a shield. You must whip it. I guess you meant "To use a whip while dual wielding", which, yeah, you need the feat to dual wield otherwise awkward weapons.

and you will have (probably) 1d4+1d8 average 7 damage, plus extra whip effects. 2 short swords is 2d6 or 7 average damage. Using a whip and a short sword, you have 1d4+1d6, or 6 average damage plus the whip stuff

You're trading damage for reach. So just doing a straight damage comparison is misleading.

It's not game breaking, no, but since there's already plenty of ways to achieve your goal, I don't see what the problem is with how it is now.

Dual wielding isn't bad. It's just bad on a Fighter, since they get so many attacks so the scaling doesn't work at high level. On any other class it's fine.

Markoff Chainey
2016-04-12, 01:18 PM
sorry for reposting this... but this solves not just the whip.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAnGT2ETnb9mlRwNeUo3zr77rptt50HBLa7EZz5HdlA/edit?usp=sharing

as DracoKnight pointed out, weapons are quite unbalanced, but that can be helped.

SpawnOfMorbo
2016-04-12, 05:36 PM
I've always found that it was odd that "light" and "heavy" were objective terms and not subjective terms.

Like, a character with a 15+ strength should be able to treat longswords as "light".

But whatever, I'm weird.

Tvtyrant
2016-04-12, 05:39 PM
I've always found that it was odd that "light" and "heavy" were objective terms and not subjective terms.

Like, a character with a 15+ strength should be able to treat longswords as "light".

But whatever, I'm weird.

They used light and heavy to mean bulky or elegant. You can tell that is what they meant because you can add the heavy property (made of gold and becomes exotic) to either of them and get a light heavy weapon or a heavy heavy weapon.

JumboWheat01
2016-04-12, 05:43 PM
I would say a whip shouldn't be a "light" weapon. Sure, mass based, it's fairly light, but it's also fairly difficult to use properly and is quite complex for something you just "swish" at a target. Don't let Indiana Jones fool you.

RickAllison
2016-04-12, 05:45 PM
I would say a whip shouldn't be a "light" weapon. Sure, mass based, it's fairly light, but it's also fairly difficult to use properly and is quite complex for something you just "swish" at a target. Don't let Indiana Jones fool you.

This. It puts a lot of torque on the arm and wrist that just doesn't exist with other weapons.