PDA

View Full Version : DM Help TWF Fighter Build

AnimeTheCat
2016-04-12, 11:33 AM
I'm looking to make a tank-ish NPC for a group I'm DMing on Friday nights and I've given them three "archetypes" to choose from:

Half-Orc Greatclub wielder
Human Hammer and Shield
Halfling Spear and Shield

All of them are 2nd level.

They picked the Human Hammer and Shield user, which I had set up with the following Feats:
Shield Specialization (Heavy) - Human Bonus
Shield Ward - First Character Level
TWF - Fighter Bonus Feat 1
Oversized TWF - Fighter Bonus feat 2

Each Round as a Full attack action he's getting two attacks at a +2/+2 +4/+4 (18 Str) and deals 1d8+2 and 1d4+1 from his Warhammer and Shield.

I know that the next feat HAS to be improved shield bash. But what next? I'm not a huge fan of taking fighter past level 2, but we are using experience points as written in the DMG. What is everyone's thought on future classes and feats keeping multiclassing in mind.

EDIT: I goofed on my original attack bonus calculations and forgot to add the BAB... I'm brilliant.

Ortesk
2016-04-12, 11:45 AM
What books are allowed, and are all the players (including you) the same build type? Sorry if I sound dumb, the wording on the post confuzzled my mind

theboss
2016-04-12, 12:03 PM
level 2nd fighter means 4 feats (if you're human).
I didnt quite understood you tho, are u going to use TWF style or Shield?
Do you want to go trip build? i think its pretty powerful all the way to level 20nd.
if so:
1).TwF,Combat Expertise, Improved Trip
2).Knock-Down
Edit:

Knock-Down [General]

Prerequisites
Base attack bonus +2, Improved Trip, Str 15.
Benefit
Whenever you deal 10 or more points of damage to your opponent in melee, you make a trip attack as a free action against the same target.

Kelvarius
2016-04-12, 12:12 PM
Instead of going TWF, you should look into making more use out of that shield.

Improved Shield Bash. This is a must. You're allowed to use your shield as a weapon and still retain the bonus to AC. Without this feat you lose that AC for a minimal attack, which rather defeats the purpose.

Shield Specialization grants an extra +1 bonus to shield AC. This is pretty lame, but together with Improved Shield Bash, it leads to...

Agile Shield Fighter which allows you to use your shield as part of a full attack action and suffer -2 penalty to hit with both it and your main weapon. Essentially, it's TWF, but better because now the shield is counted as Light instead of one handed, which would make the penalties -4/-4 and you don't need a high Dex score to take it.

Darrin
2016-04-12, 12:12 PM
Half-Orc Greatclub wielder

Obligatory link: Not called GREAT Club for nothing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?49522-Not-called-GREAT-Club-for-nothing).

I know that the next feat HAS to be improved shield bash. But what next? I'm not a huge fan of taking fighter past level 2, but we are using experience points as written in the DMG. What is everyone's thought on future classes and feats keeping multiclassing in mind.

Fighter 4 is a good start, but if you want the best bang for your buck in just one level, Barbarian 1 with Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce (Complete Champion) and Whirling Frenzy (Unearthed Arcana). You'll probably want Barbarian 2 for Improved Trip (Wolf Totem, UA), but not necessarily right away, as you don't have Shield Charge yet. Long-term, probably best to go Fighter 18/Barbarian 2 and fill out the Melee Weapon Mastery/Weapon Supremacy line.

Ranger 2/Fighter 2 is also a good start, same number of feats as Fighter 4, but you get better skill points, better ACFs, spells from ranger wands, maybe consider going Swift Hunter for some skirmish damage.