PDA

View Full Version : (subrace) was that kobold taking notes while the dragon ate him?

Wraithy
2007-06-22, 10:15 AM
and Kurtulmak told one tribe to keep the kobold lore for all eternity. sadly they were too busy reading to hear him
Kobold Sub-race: Smartlore-Kobolds

-4 STR, +2 DEX, -2 CON, +2 INT, -2 WIS
30ft movement speed
Light sensitivity
Dark vision 60ft
Small size (+1 armour, +1 attack rolls, +4 hide checks, -4 grapple)
Racial skills: +2 to search and knowledge checks, pick 2 knowledges at 1st lvl, they are now class skills, the 2 knowledges cannot be changed. +2 to will saves against fear effects.
Favoured class: Bard (Smartlore-kobolds can bypass the non-lawful requirement of this class)

Smartlore-Kobolds are born with an insatiable curiosity and in kobold society are the lore keepers; some are the teachers of kobold young, others recite legends to the masses, some are found advising on the battlefields, however although they are smart and very knowledgeable, they often lack the intuition required for combat. Most Smartlore-Kobolds can be found in massive libraries searching for ancient tomes of long forgotten lore. Smartlore-Kobolds are rarely found away from the main kobold power centres because of their roles in society. If ever offered a chance to see something new and interesting they will rush forward to greet new knowledge, as this suggests, the life expectancy of Smartlore-Kobolds in a new and unusual environment is usually counted in minutes. These kobolds are less inclined towards eating captives and enemies, they view it as a waste of information, they prefer asking and interrogating, sometimes torturing, always learning something, even if it is how long an elf can stands having his teeth pulled out before he loses consciousness. From birth until late childhood they are raised on books and scrolls, and their delight at puzzles is unrivalled. A lesser known fact about them is that they can read while running and even upside-down or through a mirror, they can also write under these conditions. Because of their detachment from the outside world they find it difficult to understand anything going on around them they are rarely scared or worried, more intrigued, they rarely grasp that they are in danger and often view a dragon’s roar with wonder than fear. Unlike most kobolds they do not hate every other race, their attitude is generally neutral, as they wish to study rather than destroy, and this attitude leads many regular kobolds to distrust them. Smartlore-Kobolds view the world as a giant book which holds the order of life, death, the gods, and everything, this belief is something akin to a religion, however it is never spoken of to other kobolds in case they believe it to be treason to Kurtulmak (patron deity of the kobolds).

If a Smartlore-Kobold breeds with a regular kobold, roll a d4 for each of their offspring, and treat each individual one according to the following results:
1 = regular kobold, 2 = Smartlore-Kobold, 3 = regular kobold with +2 INT, 4 = regular kobold with -2 WIS. If they roll a 3 or a 4, they are still regular Kobolds, just with slightly different scores, their offspring will be regular kobolds with no score adjustment.

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-22, 10:44 AM
the thing i see with this is that the only difference beetween them and other kobolds is that they have +2 intel and -2 wisdom plus a switch round of knowledge skills . i would of thought that becoming more intelligent and being more of a book related kobold faction wouldnt they loose (more!) strength?

Wraithy
2007-06-22, 10:49 AM
i would think it's very tough to lose more strength without losing the ability to move, and besides, they still have to lift books and do things, they don't spend their entire lives locked inside libraries.

Wraithy
2007-06-22, 01:11 PM
any other qualms?

RationalGoblin
2007-06-22, 02:19 PM
Personally, I'd prefer -2 Charisma to -2 wisdom. It just makes more sense, and I can prepare a rant to justify this, if you want.

Otherwise, it looks really good. I'm probably going to use it in any campaigns I DM. (Which is none at the moment, but I digress)

Wraithy
2007-06-22, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=CrazyFatGoblin;2778410] Personally, I'd prefer -2 Charisma to -2 wisdom. It just makes more sense, and I can prepare a rant to justify this, if you want. [QUOTE]

wow, i'd love to hear it, but in my defence I said -2 WIS because of how absent they are. this is the same reason I gave them +2 to will saves against fear, they are disconnected from the harshness of reality, treating life with either cold logic or naive curiosity. but if you're argument makes sense i'll change it to -2 CHA

RationalGoblin
2007-06-22, 02:51 PM
Actually, your arguement makes sense for wisdom AND charisma. So no long arguement for me. It just charisma sounds better for being disconnected from the harshness of reality. How many people do you know that are influential, and seemed disconnected from reality?

CrazedGoblin
2007-06-23, 05:33 AM
but shouldnt the gain of a mental stat warrent a loss of physical, if not str then con?

Kioran
2007-06-23, 05:43 AM
Actually, your arguement makes sense for wisdom AND charisma. So no long arguement for me. It just charisma sounds better for being disconnected from the harshness of reality. How many people do you know that are influential, and seemed disconnected from reality?

Problem is, lowering their charisma makes them weaker Sorcerors, about the only things Kobolds can do right. A loss of Wisdom is much easier to stomach, and since Kobolds are quite weak already.....

Wraithy
2007-06-23, 06:08 AM
and on second thought, lowering charisma would impair their bardyness aswell
(i chose bard as the favoured because it's also instantanious casting, and it's alot more studious that sorceror)

Kyace
2007-06-23, 04:01 PM
but shouldnt the gain of a mental stat warrent a loss of physical, if not str then con?The DM Guide says its ok to balance a -2 mental penalty with a +2 mental gain. Usually, physical scores are considered more important so a +2 bonus to a physical usually takes 2 +2 mental penalties to balance. By the reverse of that logic, a -2 physical penalty might be able to cover two +2 mental bonuses but its a gray area as some classes require less in the way of physical scores *cough druid*.

Wraithy
2007-06-24, 11:24 AM
to adress people who are concerned about the trade of mental stats for mental stats, I've removed the usual Kobold AC bonus for scaly skin.
I think it makes sense because they have little justification for thicker skin, and it also retains some of the under-powered charm of the kobold