PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Most optimized healer please!

MidnightSun
2016-04-12, 12:59 PM
Hello playgrounders!

I am very aware that most optimizers think of in-combat-healing as a sub-par use of actions. Nevertheless, this is exactly what I want to do - and when I do it, I want to do it optimized :smallcool:
I need your help to build a character that is capable of keeping the party alive (via in-combat-healing!), able (via removal of unfavorable status effects) and running (via whatever patching up is neccessary after the -victorious!- combat, preferably using as little ressourcen as humanly possible doing so).
I don't know the party composition - that's why a bit of utility is welcome, though healing will always be the first priority.

What I don't want is any discussion wether this is a viable course of action or a waste of actions...

First ideas:
Healing Hymn might boost the healing results - maybe a bard dip?
Touch of Healing ?
Healer class any good?

These are the rules for character creation:
-distribute 80 points between the attributes - no point-buy, just strait distribution. No attribute may receive fewer than 10 (in rare cases a 8 is allowed if fitting), just one 18. This is all before racial modifications.
-no flaws, but one free regional feat from the FRCS
-no psionics, no ToB
-allowed sources: primarily extended core (PHB I+II, DMG, MMs, UA, Complete X Series, Races of X series), but I am very confident that most other splats will be OKed by the DM, even Dragon Magazine content.

I'd like to keep this on the level of PO, but I am interested in TO on a theoretical base, so please include it if applicable.
If such an optimized healer is possible using no more than 5 classes (base nd prestige) it would be cool.

So, please playgrounders... play!

Gallowglass
2016-04-12, 01:05 PM
There is a build I've seen on here multiple times: part oracle part paladin, that combines them to use the oracle part to let the PC take the wounds the rest of the party receives, then use his paladin lay on hands on himself as a swift action to heal the damage. That seems like the best in combat heal build I've seen. I would look around for that if I was you.

you will definitely want to go oracle over cleric because you have about 3-4 spells a level you want to take and you'll want to spam them sorcerer style. cleric spontaneous healing only gets you the cure spells, not the disease/poison/status affect removal spells. So oracle is going to be better for what you want to do.

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 01:14 PM
I'd say go for primary buffer secondary healer; make your party better so your healing can turn the tide of a tough encounter; after all sometimes the spell slots won't be enough. You want the effects of those slots to be long lasting.
Benevolent from Dragon 331 might be up your alley.
You gotta make your spells not depend on touch range. If you can make them ranged then do.
Healing lorecall is a must.

ZamielVanWeber
2016-04-12, 01:18 PM
I like Cleric with the Spell and Magic domains heading into Dweomerkeeper. Focus on buff spells and make sure you have some Vigor spells. As a cleric you can spontaneously cast cure spells in a pinch. The Spell and Magic domains give you access to arcane buffs, always nice. Dweomerkeeper gives you other conversion options and makes your buffs harder to dispel.

Ideally you want some long term buffs ahead of time. Use shorter buffs at the start of combat and spend the rest of the time healing.

Edit: Dweomerkeeper is from the Complete Divine web enchancement. You can find the domains on Curmudgeon's domain list here. (http://ftm3.altervista.org/ASMoNM/domains.html)

Snowbluff
2016-04-12, 01:21 PM
Oradin is popular for PF games.

For 3.5 healing with healing spells, you want Mastery of Day and Night. It automatically maximized the cure spells you cast. I was able to use it to great effect with the Healer (the class) in a T4-T5 class test.

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 01:25 PM
If prestige paladin turns all your spells into pally spells: battle blessing is a... Blessing, as you can double your healing output. Some de-de-buffers are probably must haves

emeraldstreak
2016-04-12, 01:26 PM
There is a build I've seen on here multiple times: part oracle part paladin, that combines them to use the oracle part to let the PC take the wounds the rest of the party receives, then use his paladin lay on hands on himself as a swift action to heal the damage. That seems like the best in combat heal build I've seen. I would look around for that if I was you.

you will definitely want to go oracle over cleric because you have about 3-4 spells a level you want to take and you'll want to spam them sorcerer style. cleric spontaneous healing only gets you the cure spells, not the disease/poison/status affect removal spells. So oracle is going to be better for what you want to do.

In 3.5, Paladins can get a ring that heals them when they heal someone. They also can get Heal much earlier for their mount, ergo Heal themselves.

PS. It should be noted I'm not condoning healing per se...controller builds will do better in reducing risk for the party in 3.P.

Gnaeus
2016-04-12, 01:29 PM
Depending on the alignment of the party and their willingness to each take a feat, Dread Necro is another top healing choice for 3.5. Unlimited out of combat healing (via negative energy touch, assumes you can get your party to agree to take Tomb Tainted Soul or be undead) and quite decent in combat healing via inflict and other negative energy spells.

Hecuba
2016-04-12, 01:35 PM
Oradin is popular for PF games.

For 3.5 healing with healing spells, you want Mastery of Day and Night. It automatically maximized the cure spells you cast. I was able to use it to great effect with the Healer (the class) in a T4-T5 class test.

This, and add on Prophesy's Shepherd, which allows you to auto-quicken cures.

I would also recommend picking up a Reach Spell or similar (I typically go with a 1 level dip in Hierophant).

ComaVision
2016-04-12, 01:36 PM
Benevolent from Dragon 331 might be up your alley.

Since I had a heck of a time finding this... It's Dragon #311.

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 01:38 PM

Woops. Bad memory strikes again. I'll edit my original post

Also: craft contingent spell. You want that for revivify

The Vagabond
2016-04-12, 01:42 PM
If you can manage early access into Psychic Theurge, or can convince your DM to swap out abilities on the Phrenic template, a Psion has a variety of solid buffs marred by being personal range, fixable with Magic of Incarnum's Soul Crystal (Granting one the ability for others to use your powers, and for keeping powers for tomarrow) and Channel Power (3.0 Power from Minds Eye), and if you can nab a Familiar and a Psicrystal at the same time, you can use them to burst the action economy to heal a ton. Vigor is the best power, healing 5 HP per power point ahead of time. Which is great. Egoist has some awesome healing spells, and Share Pain is a good party buff, making half their damage go to you.

Probably isn't that great on it's own, but if you can get a modified Phrenic template, then it's probably really good.

MidnightSun
2016-04-12, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the first answers!

No Psionics of any kind...

I'd be happy if you could add where I can find the things you propose (Mastery of Day and Night, Prophesy's Shepherd, Healing lorecall).

dextercorvia
2016-04-12, 02:10 PM
Mastery of Day and Night is in PGtE. The Prophecy line is in MoE.

In addition, working in 5 levels of War Weaver is a good idea. Something like:

Bard1/CloisteredCleric2/WarWeaver5/Dweomerkeeper10/Any2 will work.

You use the Dragonsblood Pool and Heighten spell to qualify for War Weaver. If you want, Any can be Uncanny Trickster (advancing War Weaver) so you can cast Heal on everyone in your party with a standard action. Alternatively there are a couple of lists with Heal as a level 5 spell, and you might be able to get it that way. Dweomerkeeper is there to let you cast free ressurections.

Ruethgar
2016-04-12, 02:18 PM
If custom Prestige Races are available, Martial Spirit Stance with two healing side effects and an Ocular Ray Burst(or Chain) Persist Lesser Vigor with the Invigorating feat applied. It isn't great, but combine with Chain Shoeld Other and Wrathful Healig(with the same healing side effects) and you might be able to pull off an ok healing build. Would die off in later levels as it needs to be an unarmed combatant with greater effectiveness by number of attacks.

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 02:25 PM
Also: artificer is a viable route as party healer.

mabriss lethe
2016-04-12, 02:40 PM
There's also a feat in either CD or CC, I forget its name at the moment. It grants a buff effect rider to all of your cure spells. Exact nature determined by your accessible domains.

Magesmiley
2016-04-12, 03:01 PM
I'd skip the Healer class - it just isn't worth it. Straight cleric is usually a better choice (and other prestige classes an even better one).

One prestige class I've not seen mentioned that might be worth looking at is the Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle). If I recall, it grants an additional kicker effect to your healing spells.

I seem to recall a feat in Complete Champion that grants an extra effect (I want to say based on your domain) to your healing spells too.

Touch of Healing isn't bad as an out-of-combat effect to stretch your spells and resources (heal everyone up to half with it, then use other spells).

Bronk
2016-04-12, 03:03 PM
If you can swing the 'draconic aura' feat (dragon magic) or a two level Marshal dip, you could get their swift action (to activate, stays on indefinitely) aura 'vigor' (PHB2), that gives your nearby allies (that are below half their HP) fast healing 1.

What page did you find this on?

Ruethgar
2016-04-12, 03:12 PM
There is also the Invigorating spell template that adds no requirements(such as the others in the article needing 50g or so specific material ingredients or increase in spell level). It can be applied to a Conjuration(Healing) spell and makes them remove a lot of minor status effects. I think it was Daze, Stun, Fatigue, Exhaustion or some such. In a dragon mag.

ComaVision
2016-04-12, 03:18 PM

I don't recall but it's in the Cleric section. Once you're in the Cleric section, the alternate classes are in alphabetical order.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-04-12, 03:48 PM
Crusader/Cleric could be interesting. Heal allies by punching someone, heal yourself (through Divine Spirit) by burning turn undead attempts, and cleric casting.

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 03:50 PM
Crusader/Cleric could be interesting. Heal allies by punching someone, heal yourself (through Divine Spirit) by burning turn undead attempts, and cleric casting.

ToB is out though

Afgncaap5
2016-04-12, 03:51 PM
I don't know if it's the *most* optimized, but I once had fun with a "cripplingly overspecialized" Healer who used the Mastery of Day and Night feat that others are talking about along with a Dragonlance feat that turned me from a Healer that depended on Charisma and Wisdom to just one of them (I legitimately forget which, though.) Healer gave me Skill Focus (Healing) for free, which was nice (admittedly not useful on a battlefield, but crazy useful when I hit a city that was suffering from a plague that outlawed magic.)

I think I intentionally held myself back on the optimization train here. I figured out a prestige class I could take that would allow every healing spell I cast to be Maximized, Empowered, and Quickened (maybe something else, too.) I settled for just using feats to merely by Maximized all the time, and to add my Healer's Charisma bonus (and I think I used a feat from one of the Complete books to add my Wisdom as well, but I'm having trouble locating it.) If you want *most* optimized, though, you'll probably want to take the "also Empowered and Quickened" prestige class (why can't I find this? It must be FR or DL. Sorry this is so sketchy, I don't have my old character sheets with me today. Also, I'm guessing your DM will be open to Dragonlance sources and Eberron sources, and given the books you're allowed to use I don't know if alternate campaign setting material'll be your GM's cup of tea.)

The other benefit of Healers for combat healing is the Effortless Healing class feature they get at Level 7. Any healing spell they cast specifically from their Healing class specifically doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, which is a handy away out of provoking attacks of opportunity from the pesky touch-range of many healing subschool spells. Some may argue that there are better ways around this, but for most effective purposes I've found in games this more than suffices for healing against DMs who love having heavy-hitter characters who threaten wider than normal areas.

Also, if you want the MOST optimization... I recommend taking the Healing Hands skill trick from Complete Scoundrel, because it allows you to heal 1d6 points of damage when you roll a Heal check to stabilize a dying character, and invest in Healing Salves from Tome & Blood (if allowed), since they're both methods of healing and stabilization that are non-magical. You might never use them, but having them is handy.

Generally speaking, a Cleric is your better option for optimization on the Healing route, but I've always felt that the Healer is more fun. Your mileage may vary, of course. Good luck!

ATHATH
2016-04-12, 03:52 PM
If you have a Dragonmark of Healing, taking the Dragonmark Visionary feat gives you Revivify as an SLA (meaning that it doesn't have a material component). If you combine that with the ability of some Clerics to spontaneously cast SeCURE Corpse, you can make death a minor inconvenience.

ComaVision
2016-04-12, 03:55 PM
along with a Dragonlance feat that turned me from a Healer that depended on Charisma and Wisdom to just one of them (I legitimately forget which, though.)

Dynamic Priest

Gildedragon
2016-04-12, 03:59 PM
There is also the Invigorating spell template that adds no requirements(such as the others in the article needing 50g or so specific material ingredients or increase in spell level). It can be applied to a Conjuration(Healing) spell and makes them remove a lot of minor status effects. I think it was Daze, Stun, Fatigue, Exhaustion or some such. In a dragon mag.
Dragon 311, pg 44-5, adds a verbal component that can't be removed, can be added to any spell that heals HP regardless of school but cannot be added to [healing] spells that don't cure HP. Needs a feat.

50-1

INoKnowNames
2016-04-12, 05:09 PM
Heh... if your source is willing to take -ANY- content, then there's a gem of overpowered bullcrap that might be useful to you. I remember talking to another person on this forum about a subject somewhat similar to this. Before I go into that, there are a few things to be considered:

Dynamic Priest, from the Legend of the Twins book within the Dragonlance series (if I recall right), is a good option is you're a Healer, just to keep you SAD. If you're a Cleric, you may consider Bastard and Bloodline's Lost Tradition, which accomplishes the same effect on a larger scale (though I'd stick with just mental stats if I were you).

If you -are- allowed Dragonlance books, consider the "Healing Hand" [of Mishakal] PRC, found in Holy Order of the Stars if memory serves me. Requires Skill Focus (Heal), so the Healer actually gets a slight nod there. Grants the "No AoOs for Healing Spells" ability a little earlier if I recall right, as well as Cha to Healing and free Empowered Healing (which is why I wanted to remind of Dynamic Priest / Lost Tradition). 5 levels, so plenty of room to add more things on.

As mentioned again, Hierophant to add passive range to your heals via Divine Reach is nice. I don't think 2 levels to make it 60-ft is a waste, though it may depend on the composition of your party and the average adventures you encounter; 30-ft heals might be just fine. One level might be enough.

Mastery of Day and Night, as mentioned, is a great way to bump up a few points on average. Touch of Healing is a good feat for free touch-ups in between battles before actually needing to burn slots. Mitigate Suffering is also rather nice.

...because it combines with the gem of overpowered bullcrap I so teased earlier. The Metaphysical Spellshaper PRC, from the Book of Emotional Flamingos*. Take ability damage (that can be slightly mitigated via Mitigate Suffering) to add additional Metamagic to your Spells. Broken as absolute Hell, but there's sure as heck worse you could be doing with it than sticking it on a Healing based Cleric, or a Healer for that matter.

See if you could be allowed to throw Chain Spell onto your Cures that you've given Reach with Hierophant. I think it works, but someone might need to check that. If not, then just Twin Spell them. Twinned Empowered Maximized +Cha'd Cure Spells with range, with no adjustment in casting time or spell level, merely requiring ability damage you can safely defend against until you can outright remove it with a restoration spell or other effect.

Healer or Cleric 5 / Healing Hand 5 / Metaphysical Spellshaper 3 / Hierophant 2 / x 5. Might need to jigger the skillpoints and feats one might need, but it looks like it works to me. Just gotta find something fun to chase it down with. Contemplative and Combat Medic are options, as might be some Binder if it doesn't clash with the concept of your character (or your lost caster levels), since you could use it to fix your ability damage. If Human, I almost always recommend Human Paragon if you can stand the caster level loss, since it helps with potential skill issues, grants a bonus feat, and an increase to your casting stat that can only help.

I will echo some of the other oft made concerns on forums like these, though hopefully in a more positive way: Make sure you have something else you're able to do in combat when everyone else is at 90-100% hp and not in any immediate danger, as well as some way to contribute out of combat beyond just patching up wounds. I appreciate the "Medic" role myself, both as another member of the party and as the one performing it, but it's good to be able to contribute in other ways. That's why the Cleric and Druid and a few other sources also make such good healers without effort: They can do that job well -and- have other ways to contribute without much effort to their own abilities. That's also why the Healer is usually frowned upon by itself: it is so dedicated to it that it finds itself having some trouble to fit in otherwise without a bit of optimization magic. It's not a bad class, though. Just... kinda quaint.

*What other book fits the acronym BoEF?

Let's try to put this all together.

Human [Cloistered?] Cleric 7 / Healing Hand 5 / Metaphysical Spellshaper 3 / Hierophant 2 / Human Paragon 3

Human: Lost Tradition (Charisma)
1st Level: Skill Focus (Heal)
3rd Level: Maximize Spell
6th Level: Mastery of Day and Night
9th Level: Touch of Healing
12th Level: Mitigate Suffering
Metaphysical Spellshaper Bonus: Twin Spell
15th Level: Quicken Spell
18th Level: Initiate of Illmater (if you can get an adaption and have either HH of Illmater or Initiate of Mishakal; they're both good-aligned healing gods) / Imbued Healing (otherwise)
Human Paragon Bonus: Chain Spell

You need MS 1 and HH 2 as soon as possible. The last 2 Cleric, later HH, later MS, and HP can wait. Hierophant's nice when you get it, though, given 'dem skill points. You want the Healing Domain if you've got Imbued Healing. Your other Domain is more or less personal preference. Stat wise, I'd say 18 Cha, 16 Int, 14 Con, 12 Wis, 10 Dex, 10 Str, and use items to buff Con, Wis, and Dex further. Drop Int a bit more if you've got enough skill points for what you want, though I never seem to have enough.

Free 60-ftTwinned Chained Quickened Maximized Empowered Silenced +Cha Cure Spells. If my math's right, with a 36 Cha (18 + 2 + 5 lvl up + 5 Inherent + 6 Item) and at 20th level (caster level 17 before additional mods), you heal... what, 70 something to your main target 60 feet away, and 35 something to everyone else in 30 feet of them, as a swift action? And they gain a buffer of temporary hp to protect them further? Isn't this effectively, what, 600 HPs in total getting healed?

Certainly could be doing worse with a 1st level spell, particularly since it costs you jack all else due to Mitigate Suffering. Take that Dungeonscape variant that lets you Spontaneous Restoration, and you won't even need to prepare your post battle fixes. Remember Healing Lorecall as a spell and you're restoring status conditions, too.

I suppose you could drop Human Paragon entirely and throw on more Cleric Levels and 1 Bard Level, particularly if you aren't human, so you can add Healing Hymn into the calculations and make it even better. Though you'd drop a metamagic feat and some of the Cha bonus to add it in (in addition to another feat if you aren't Human). Depending on the party size / number of people needed to be healed, that might be fine.

In an undead filled game, on the other hand, being able to slaughter like 20 enemies at once and heal your party at the same time seems more important than getting the amount even more high; particularly since it's already kinda high. Cure Critical Wounds: 160 or so damage to one target and 80 to 20 others. That's 1760 HP being shifted from a 4th level slot, possibly before your actual action is even made. I don't see you topping that in a single action. And you can still use your higher level slots for other things.

AnimeTheCat
2016-04-12, 05:32 PM
Is Book of Exalted Deeds allowed? I'm not sure if it qualifies as a splat book or not, but its not ToB or Psionics.

Snowbluff
2016-04-12, 05:34 PM
Hi, Inoknownames! How have you been?

INoKnowNames
2016-04-12, 05:46 PM
Hi, Inoknownames! How have you been?

...is this what it feels like when Senpai finally notices me?

Is Book of Exalted Deeds allowed? I'm not sure if it qualifies as a splat book or not, but its not ToB or Psionics.

It has to be more allowable than the Book of Elephant Firefighters. And is actually a rather nice book: Healers and Clerics could make good use of Sanctified Spells for additional butt-whoop and other nice things. Though I forget if Healers can cast them spontaneously as well or not. I know Clerics can, but I forget if it's just all prepared Divine casters or them specifically.

Bronk
2016-04-12, 06:51 PM
I don't recall but it's in the Cleric section. Once you're in the Cleric section, the alternate classes are in alphabetical order.

50-1

Thanks, I didn't realize it was a class and my eyes kept skipping over it while I was looking for a feat!

Azoth
2016-04-12, 06:58 PM
Human Bard1/Healer5/Combat Medic5/Healing Hand of Mishakal4/Crusader1/Healing Hand of Mishakal+1/XXX3

Flaw: Extra Music
Flaw: Maximize Spell
Human: Augment Healing
1st: Dynamic Priest
3rd: Combat Casting
Healer2: Skill Focus Heal
6th: Dodge
9th: Mastery of Day and Night
12th: Touch of Healing
15th: Song of the White Raven
18:

The Build uses Healing Hymn to add Perform Ranks to healing spells so +23 at lvl20, 2xCha to healing so about +24 (34cha=+12 mod), +13 temp HP, +2hp per spell level, and auto maximizes and empowers them for free.

AnachroNinja
2016-04-12, 07:47 PM
Radiant servant gets some hefty buffs to some of its heals and can be a good choice for this. It has a section on adaptation for any setting as well.

Alistaroc
2016-04-12, 07:50 PM
I'm pressed for time, so I can't really tweak this for you right now, but this is a build stub I drew up while back.
Shuffle the feats to accommodate the "no flaws" rule, and it should still work alright. Dynamic Priest isn't strictly necessary, just helps MAD.

Human with 2 flaws, Bard 1/Cleric 5/Healing Hand of Mishakal 5/Combat Medic 5/Contemplative 4
Bard ACF : Healing Hymn
01 - +00/+00/+02/+02 - Bard 1 : Augment Healing, Combat Casting, Skill Focus(Healing), Dodge
02 - +00/+02/+02/+04 - Cleric 1 :
03 - +01/+03/+02/+05 - Cleric 2 : Dynamic Priest
04 - +02/+03/+03/+05 - Cleric 3 :
05 - +03/+04/+03/+06 - Cleric 4 :
06 - +03/+04/+03/+06 - Cleric 5 : Sacred Performer
07 - +03/+05/+04/+07 - Healing Hand of Mishakal 1 :
08 - +04/+05/+04/+07 - Healing Hand of Mishakal 2 :
09 - +04/+06/+05/+08 - Healing Hand of Mishakal 3 : Maximize Spell
10 - +05/+06/+05/+08 - Healing Hand of Mishakal 4 :
11 - +05/+07/+06/+09 - Healing Hand of Mishakal 5 :
12 - +05/+07/+08/+09 - Combat Medic 1 : Mastery of Day and Night
13 - +06/+07/+09/+09 - Combat Medic 2 :
14 - +06/+08/+09/+10 - Combat Medic 3 :
15 - +07/+08/+10/+10 - Combat Medic 4 : Magic of the Land
16 - +07/+08/+10/+10 - Combat Medic 5 :
17 - +07/+08/+10/+12 - Contemplative 1 :
18 - +08/+08/+10/+13 - Contemplative 2 : Feat
19 - +08/+09/+11/+13 - Contemplative 3 :
20 - +09/+09/+11/+14 - Contemplative 4 :

Heal Bonuses
+ Perform Ranks
+ 2*spell level
+ 2*spell level in natural setting with DC 15 Know(Nature) check
+ Cha to heal
+ 5+Wis/day add DC 15+Wis Sanctuary to heal
+ Silent, Maximized, Empowered

You cast as a Bard 1/Cleric 19 or Bard 6/Cleric 14
Crazy good heals, a Cure Light Wounds heals for 21+Cha+Perform Ranks, so with an 18 in Charisma, you heal from 29 to 48 with just a first level spell. And it only grows with spell level scaling.

mabriss lethe
2016-04-12, 09:05 PM
The feat I was looking for earlier and couldn't recall: Imbued Healing from Complete Champion. It's a lot of fun, allowing a cleric to get some extra mileage out of the various healing spells.

Kelvarius
2016-04-13, 02:18 AM
Radiant servant gets some hefty buffs to some of its heals and can be a good choice for this. It has a section on adaptation for any setting as well.

Empowered at 2nd, Maximized at 6th, and both at 10th at no additional spell level cost, to be specific. This is in addition to caster level progression and Turn Undead progression (Plus some extra Greater Turnings just for kicks), an extra cleric domain, a decent AoE that hits undead, and a will save buff aura.

Quertus
2016-04-13, 04:50 AM
For out of combat healing, is there much better than DMM(persist) on mass lesser vigor? Pity that crusader's free healing is out, else I'd suggest a 1 level dip in crusader.

The best healer is the one that convinces everyone in the party to buy an Amulet of Emergency Healing. Troll blooded is another sign if a good healer.

But my favorite healer? Use UA. A lot. Spell Points Arcane Spellcaster to Tainted Sorcerer. Put your 18 in wisdom, and a 17 in con. Level buyoff on feral gets you +2 wis, +2 con. Max out the taint, to get an effective 60 or 70 casing stat (about double that if you go tainted scholar from heroes of horror, but it loses blood substitution). Throw the party for a loop, and use good (or law or chaos) taint instead of evil taint.

Out of combat, use lesser vigor for extreme resource efficiency. Or be a jerk like my character, and use lesser vigor exclusively in combat, too. Resurgence is another efficient use of your spell points.

Which brings us to our next point. Because of blood substitution, components are free. This means that is often cheapest to let a party member die, and resurrect them later. Gentle repose + revivify is your friend. Blood substitution also lets you cast spells like restoration (or even true resurrection) on the cheap. Made use of this fact in your spell selection. Use troll blooded or persistent lesser vigor to recover.

Might border on TO, but if you don't take any spells that hit enemies / take advantage of your incredible save DCs, it's just a near-tireless healer. And this is a good thing. Because if someone takes advantage of your tanked wisdom and dominates your character, you don't want them able to throw around TPK spells.

EDIT: actually, the best healer is someone who drags around a gazebo with a Heal trap. Bonus points if you paint it up to look like the dread gazebo.

ericgrau
2016-04-13, 07:41 PM
1. Boost the healing amount with various abilities from other posts.
2. Reduce the action required with various abilities from other posts, e.g. to a move or a swift. Spells such as close wounds that are already this way are also nice.
3. Buff whole party and self with temp HP, such as heroes' feast.
4. Shield other the party to transfer damage to yourself. Use imbue with spell ability to give shield other and/or close wounds to others to further distribute the damage. Now that damage is spread out you've (a) bought more time to heal and (b) mass heals are more effective. While this trick is used mainly in the PF builds, it works fine in 3.5 too.
5. Get 100 scrolls with every remove X effect on them so you are always ready to restore every random effect besides HP damage. Often 1-3 of each is fine, and you can buy or scribe replacements as needed. Consider the scribe scroll feat or work with a party member who has it if your DM is stingy about scroll shopping. Pper crafting rules you may work together on a scroll even if only you have the spell and only he has the feat. Consider also preparing general purpose spells such as panacea.
6. #1 often works better on spells for #4, so there's nice synergy too.

Have fun.