PDA

View Full Version : Help making a pathfinder character

grumbaki
2016-04-12, 05:22 PM
Hello to you all. I've been a long time reader of the comics, but never made an account here. I finally bit the bullet and made one...to ask for help.

You see, for the first time I played a game of Pathfinder. And I enjoyed it. I used a premade elven rogue and had a good time with her. Now I need to actually make a character, and...well...the rules are pretty complex. So I figured that I'd ask for help.

The group uses pathfinder society rules and this means 20 points to buy stats.

What I'd like to do is make a dwarven rogue. Preferably one who uses a two handed pick (in my mind his original profession would have been a miner who made his living sneaking around goblin infested tunnels to get to untapped veins of ore).

Now, because I played one session already, I'm allowed to start with the following:

1 wand of cure light wounds
666 gold
2 free traits

So...what I'm thinking (and please help!)

Stats

Strength 14 (a dwarf has to be strong, right?) 5pts
Dexterity 14 (a rogue has to be able to sneak around, find traps and whatnot) 5pts
Constitution 18 (16+2 racial bonus. Why? Because 16 is 10 points but 18 is 17 points. So I'd get the most value out of those 2 free racial points. Right?) 10pts
Intelligence 12 (I'm pretty sure that alot of rogue skills use intelligence) 2pts
Wisdom 10 (8+2 racial bonus. Average, because wisdom really sin't needed, right?) -2pts
Charisma 8 (10-2 racial. Because a rogue already can get alot of table time with sneaking around and whatnot. Let someone else do the talking for the group.) 0pts

Total of 20pts for the above stats.

Traits

Tunnel Fighter: Caves and tunnels are a second home to you. While underground, you receive a +2 trait bonus on initiative checks and a +1 trait bonus on weapon damage rolls for critical hits (this damage is multiplied on a critical hit).

Highlander (Hills or Mountain): You were born and raised in rugged badlands or hills, and you've become something of an expert at evading the predators, monsters, and worse that haunt the highlands. You gain a +1 trait bonus on Stealth checks, and Stealth is always a class skill for you. This trait bonus increases to +2 in hilly or rocky areas.

They just seem dwarven. The tunnel fighter seems useful when being forced to scout ahead in a dungeon. Highlander seems good for a rogue, as +1 to stealth as a flat bonus is like getting +2 dexterity, or +4 in hilly/rocky areas.

Is this sound? Or for a rogue are their better ones to pick?

I'm also a fan of Armor Expert (You have worn armor as long as you can remember, either as part of your training to become a knight's squire or simply because you were seeking to emulate a hero. Your childhood armor wasn't the real thing as far as protection, but it did encumber you as much as real armor would have, and you've grown used to moving in such suits with relative grace. When you wear armor of any sort, reduce that suit's armor check penalty by 1, to a minimum check penalty of 0.)

I mean, I like the idea of a dwarf who can wear some armor. But is it worth it? I mean, I could take the pride drawback (again, very dwarven) to get it, but should I?

Skills

How should I pick these and what makes the most sense for a sneaky miner?

Mining Skulls

Can a rogue be a two handed fighter? And if so how do I go about making one? I'd really prefer not to have an unplayable character here...

Anyways, thank you in advance!