PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF Base Speed language (PoW especially)

Rainshine
2016-04-12, 08:55 PM
This topic looks like it's been batted around a bit, but I couldn't find a very solid answer on it with my Google.

The words Base Speed and Base Land Speed occur a lot of places, I've found. Barbarian and Monk Fast Movement, Boots of Striding, Haste, etc. The specific interactions I'm interested in occur within the text of the Path of War stuff, but can also be found in similar abilities within core (Swim, Climb, etc).

Stalker Recovery

When recovering his maneuvers as a full round action, he may move up to his base speed and adds a +4 insight bonus to his Armor Class as his ki defends his form while he re-centers himself

Stance of the Crane Knight

While in this stance, you gain a fly speed equal to twice your base land speed with average maneuverability and you gain DR 10/evil

With no gear/spells, it's pretty easy. Your racial speed is 20/30 usually, and you use that. The language of Boots, for instance
These boots increase the wearer's base land speed by 10 feet
make it sound like it would get multiplied/halved in. The language of Haste
All of the hasted creature's modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet,...This increase counts as an enhancement bonus does not sound like it would be. So, for instance, a human hasted stalker recovering would only move 30 feet, but if they had boots, they'd move 40. Similarly, in Stance they'd move 90 if hasted, and 80 with boots? That seems silly and inconsistent to me, as they're both enhancement bonuses. Further, the monk Fast Movement ability only says land speed, so a 9th level human monk (30 base + 30 fast movement) would, on a successful check, climb at 15 (1/2 'base speed') rather than 30. Haste would increase that by 15' (equal to speed of that kind of movement) to a total of 30', Boots would take it up 5' to 20' (Plus half of 10).
Order of the Flame cavalier
as long as he rolls an 11 or higher on the die, he can move up to his base speed as an immediate action -- even if hasted, because hasted never specifies base, he'd move at essentially 1/2 speed (30 instead of his 60 with a move action).

Does it seem unreasonable/RAI to just say that all these increases apply the same way -- obeying normal stacking rules, but that they all apply to "base speed", regardless of the specific language of the ability?

upho
2016-04-13, 11:11 PM
Does it seem unreasonable/RAI to just say that all these increases apply the same way -- obeying normal stacking rules, but that they all apply to "base speed", regardless of the specific language of the ability?RAW, I believe the stalker can actually only move his base land speed when recovering, which is unaffected by haste, armor, stances and other situational bonuses/penalties, but affected by the barb's fast movement and virtually everything else that affects speed. Though I suspect this is an error and the intent of the stalker recovery mechanic was that it should actually say: "he may move up to his speed and...", which AFAIK means the speed would be affected by haste, armor and similar factors which are added after calculating "base speed".

IIRC speed works like this:
Base speed = race speed + permanent bonuses/penalties (barb and monk fast movement, Fleet (feat), Boots of Striding, etc), NOT including armor
(normal) Speed = base speed + armor penalties
(actual/current) Speed = (normal) speed + temporary/situational bonuses/penalties (haste/slow, stances etc)

So for example, a human barb in medium armor with fast movement wearing a pair of Boots of Striding, in the Stance of the Crane Knight, would have a "base (land) speed" of 50, an actual "land speed" of 40, and an actual "fly speed" of 100 (ie: (30 race speed + 10 untyped fast movement + 10 enhancement boots) x 2 stance fly speed). If the same barb is also hasted, his "base (land) speed" would still be 50, but his actual "land speed" would be 60 and his "fly speed" 110, since neither haste or armor affect "base (land) speed", which the stance doubles, but (normal) and (actual) "speed", and the increase from haste works the same regardless of movement mode.

If haste instead had said: "The hasted creature's base land speed increases by 30...", then the above barb would've had an actual fly speed of 140. And if Stance of the Crane Knight had said: "...you gain a fly speed equal to twice your land speed...", then the barb's (actual) fly speed would've been 80, or 90 with haste.

And RAW, if the above barb was also a stalker, he would be able to move 50 ft. (on land or flying) while recovering, regardless of armor or haste.

Though the speed terms are poorly defined and I might very well be wrong here...

EDIT: Not so poorly defined, here are the relevant rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/glossary#TOC-Speed). /EDIT

Rainshine
2016-04-14, 02:16 AM
Doh. That's the sort of thing I was after, thanks! :D