PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Cleric Domain: Blood

KoyukiTei13
2016-04-12, 10:37 PM
This is a racially-locked cleric domain in my campaign (up to DM discretion). I cooked up a offshoot sect of Drow elves that are dark-skinned and have grayscale hair and infravision (like in the Drizzt books), but revere Eilistraee instead of Lolth. This race is called the Ahjkasha (Ahj for short). They live in the underdark, away from their ancestors, and live in fear of religious persecution. The Ahjkasha are generally opposed to dealing with their Drow ancestors, but respect their heritage in some of their beliefs and cultural aspects. They fight intermittently about the pantheon of gods and goddesses, especially over the rule of Lolth, the spider goddess, versus Eilistraee and her more Neutral/Good family. The Drow, however, tend to view their relatives as primitives and heretics, violently trying to convert them.

As a culture, Ahj revere life and the women's ability to create life with their bodies and their cycles. Their magics are focused around life, healing and fertility. Blood magic is life-giving, and Ahj clerics are specialized in such magics. They worship through sacrificing their period spillings, sex, cutting runes into their flesh, healing and fertility magics.

Eilistraee: (CG) (Song/Beauty/Moonlight/Hunting/Dance/Swordwork)
Divine Focus: Ebony carving of a nude woman holding a silver sword.

You use a dagger, blessed through prayer and ritual, to slice your flesh and draw your blood to power your magic. You can draw enemies' blood from open wounds to heal allies or yourself, etc.
You have two divine focuses: carving of Eilistraee and your ritual dagger.

Constitution is your spellcasting modifier for blood spells.
Wisdom is your spellcasting modifier for general cleric spells.

Domain Spells:
1st: bless, cure wounds
3rd: spiritual weapon, hold person
5th: vampiric touch, blink
7th: polymorph, phantasmal killer
9th: modify memory, scrying
OR
Domain Spells:
1st: Agonizing Spike, Laeral's Cutting Hand
3rd: Blood Harvest, Blood Boiling
5th: Masochism, Sadism
7th: Blood of the Martyr, Burning Blood
9th: Exsanguinate, Rain of Blood

Bonus Proficiency:
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with martial weapons.
You also have an extended list of specific blood magic spells in addition to the ones of a cleric. You have access to prepare all of these spells, but not use them without preparing, unless it has the "ritual" tag. Blood is an expensive component of any spell and must be used when listed as a component.

Blood Flow:
Blood Clerics use hit points as a material component in the casting of their spells. To do so, they must be wielding a knife or dagger, or a shortsword if they are proficient in them. They must be able to cut their skin. This knife, dagger, or shortsword must be blessed to be used in the cutting of their own flesh. The amount of blood drawn for the component is equal to the power of the spell:

Cantrips = 1 HP
1st-Level = 1d4
2nd-Level = 1d6
3rd-Level = 1d8
4th-Level = 1d10
5th-Level = 1d12
6th-Level = 2d6
7th-Level =2d8
8th-Level =2d10
9th-Level = 2d12

Make Them Bleed:
Starting at 1st level, whenever you inflict damage with a spell, you also inflict one point of bleed damage per spell slot level. Bleed damage strikes again each round until healed with a healing spell or a DC 13 Wisdom (Healing) check.

Channel Divinity: Drawn Blood
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to draw power from your bleeding wounds. When you take damage, the damage is contributed to a blood pool, which has a maximum of your Cleric level + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier. This blood pool can be used to deal additional damage on the next connecting attack, or to modify the next healing spell used on an ally, and can be split in whatever way the cleric desires.

Channel Divinity: Sacrifice WIP
Starting at 6th level, you can use your blood and flesh to ask a favor of your divine. You may donate blood and/or flesh of yourself or others for a boon. The more you give, the more you may expect in return.

Lifeblood NEW
At 6th level, you have a keener understanding of how blood courses through the veins of almost all life. Your use of the Healer’s Kit is masterful:

You have a chance when stabilizing a creature to not expend a charge. Roll 1d20 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom (Medicine) modifier. If you roll 15+, you don’t expend a charge.
Any creature you’ve stabilized with a Healer’s Kit gains 1 + your proficiency bonus health. They regain consciousness immediately after being healed, but cannot make reactions.
You may expend a charge of the Healer’s Kit during a short or long rest to restore an expended hit die to yourself or an ally.

Divine Strike:
At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with primordial energy. Once on each of your turns, when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 necrotic damage. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

Ritual Scarring WIP
At 17th level, your deity has deemed you worthy of more permanent boons, provided you give your blood and flesh to them. You carve primordial symbols of power into your skin, your hand guided by your god or goddess. These wounds take much longer than typical wounds to heal. The scars’ appearance are dependent on your alignment: silvery for good, ridged skin-tone for neutral, and blood-red for evil.
These scars show your devotion to your god or goddess, and give you permanent bonuses to your health, damage, and healing. (the following list is total, not cumulative bonuses)
1 scar = +2 damage & healing, +1 HD
2 scars = +3 damage & healing, +2 HD
3 scars = +4 damage & healing, +3 HD

SPELLS MOVED TO GOOGLE DRIVE: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kOvuIOLd9myqZmT_kjI9wZUXjWyJFXPDOfZbsaLfJ48/edit?usp=sharing

A lot of the spells are ones I've pulled from various places around the internet, especially https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3541tx/the_not_really_complete_tome_of_spells_updated/ (The (Not Really) Complete Tome of Spells/) and other homebrewers around the Playground. <3

RakiReborn
2016-04-13, 02:13 AM
One thing i see with unnatural recovery is the abuse with the healing spells. Getting a slot back and using it for cure wounds out of combat, or healing word inside combat, heals for more than it costs. If you make it reduce your maximum hit points by the same amount, this is better balanced / less abusive i think.

zeek0
2016-04-13, 07:10 AM
I'll offer general advice in a shotgun fashion and hope that something sticks. Don't get me wrong with all my criticisms: I love what you've done - there's just some balance stuff running amok.

I wouldn't require this to be racially locked mechanically - that can be decided by individual DMs.

Your features should be re-worded for clarity, I had to read many twice or three times to understand them.

The Elf seems balanced.

This is homebrew anyway - make some of the domain spells your new homebrewed spells. For other ideas for blood magic spells, see Ninja_Prawn's homebrewed spells.

Keep in mind that by RAW non-expensive components can be avoided by using a divine focus. You might want to clarify that your blood is an expensive component if you want them to use it every time a blood spell is cast.

Drawn Blood: Does this ability a) augment the next attack, and if it misses then "oh well"?, or b) augment the next attack that hits? If b, see paladin for wording of smite attacks.

Drink my Pain: Once per long rest? Does it require a reaction, or an action?

Blood Type: Straight better than True Strike, but may still be balanced.

Bloodbridge: Spell damage is generally not modified (i.e., Int, Con). If you take it out I think that it will be better balanced as a healing/damage cantrip. Does this damage scale?

Handfang: Can realistically be an instantaneous effect - cantrips can just be cast every turn.

Pain: Way too effective for a cantrip. This may work as a 1st level spell.

Detect Blood: Does the second sentence allow me to use touch spells at 100 feet?

Blood Bond: Is the same as Warding Bond, except Warding Bond is a second level spell and has more stipulations. And you need to clarify the 'at higher levels' bit: it is your HD? Theirs?

Laeral's Cutting Hand: Can be described as gaining a weapon attack (see Minotaur UA wording), allowing for interaction with other abilities.

Agonizing Spike: No reason this should do force damage - force damage is specific and powerful. How long do they keep doing damage to the target? This is plainly better than magic missile at the same casting level.

Bloody Haze: Use the wording from 'Fog Cloud' to make it sound better. I would have the 'at higher levels' bit be 10/level

Blood Harvest: "If a successful hit is not made in a minute" - makes no sense, since the spell only lasts a minute anyhow. Reword vampiric effect for clarity.

Blood Boiling: Straight better than Hold Person, and does damage without a save or attack roll (intended?).

Status: How is this manifested in the world? How do I as the caster know that my friend has a specific emotion or status condition?

Lacerate: Reword so that it simply does 1d8 damage at the end of your next turn.

Blood Oath: Absurdly powerful. This increases Max Health and any or all modifiers. There is no downside, no concentration.

Masochism: Fine. But I would

Sadism: Cool pairing with Masochism.

Blood of the Martyr: Does not require the careful wording, just do damage to the caster and give the hp to the target. I don't think the target needs to be willing if you are restoring hp. Cool ability.

Blood Whip: I think this is underpowered for a 4th level spell. Consider Magic Weapon or Thorn Whip.

Panacea: There is no ability damage, negative levels, or drained levels in 5e. Look at the back of the PHB for possible status conditions to cure. I should be a higher level spell: Greater Restoration is 5th level and only ends one effect on the target. Also, the word Panacea, meaning universal cure, shouldn't really be 4th level as a concept.

Sustain: This is a much worse version of goodberry.

Wrack: Has no saving throw attached.

Agitate Wounds: Define "wound is treated".

Burning Blood: Not enough damage for a 4th level spell. The DMG suggests 6d10. Cool flavor.

Crimson Scourge: Is it one damage or two each round? This spell will kill any creature without the necessary spell on hand to cure it, and every other creature as well - imagine confronting a dragon in her lair and then just... waiting for it to die so you can grab the loot. *Might* be okay as a 9th level spell.

Heart Attack: Save or die spells are silly. Don't do it. And this should have concentration attached. Looking back, not many of your spells have concentration - add it to most of them.

Rain of Blood: Super cool spell. Needs concentration.

Throbbing Bones: Obvious jokes aside, a great spell. May want to change the name however.

Animate Blood: This spell is cool/good enought without damage. But it would be cool if the droplet was destroyed by their attack.

Nerve Dance: The first sentence makes it sound like the caster is a clown or party entertainer. Then it gets deadly. Don't use the grappled condition, just make the target have the restrained condition. A Strength/Dexterity saving throw makes more sense for a grapple-like thing.

Tattoo of Power: I would allow for only one at a time.

Blood to Water: Fine.

Rain of Terror: I hate it for the pun. Cool stuff though. But how is this a blood spell?

Suffocate: There is no suffocate condition. What does this mean?

Anddd... I just saw at the end of your post how you did not homebrew most of these, so I'll stop now. But the message is clear: I'd claim that these spells are not fit for play without some modifications.

In general I like the theme and all.

Cheers.

KoyukiTei13
2016-04-13, 10:47 PM
I'll offer general advice in a shotgun fashion and hope that something sticks. Don't get me wrong with all my criticisms: I love what you've done - there's just some balance stuff running amok.

I wouldn't require this to be racially locked mechanically - that can be decided by individual DMs.

Your features should be re-worded for clarity, I had to read many twice or three times to understand them.

The Elf seems balanced.

This is homebrew anyway - make some of the domain spells your new homebrewed spells. For other ideas for blood magic spells, see Ninja_Prawn's homebrewed spells.

Keep in mind that by RAW non-expensive components can be avoided by using a divine focus. You might want to clarify that your blood is an expensive component if you want them to use it every time a blood spell is cast.

Drawn Blood: Does this ability a) augment the next attack, and if it misses then "oh well"?, or b) augment the next attack that hits? If b, see paladin for wording of smite attacks.

Drink my Pain: Once per long rest? Does it require a reaction, or an action?

Blood Type: Straight better than True Strike, but may still be balanced.

Bloodbridge: Spell damage is generally not modified (i.e., Int, Con). If you take it out I think that it will be better balanced as a healing/damage cantrip. Does this damage scale?

Handfang: Can realistically be an instantaneous effect - cantrips can just be cast every turn.

Pain: Way too effective for a cantrip. This may work as a 1st level spell.

Detect Blood: Does the second sentence allow me to use touch spells at 100 feet?

Blood Bond: Is the same as Warding Bond, except Warding Bond is a second level spell and has more stipulations. And you need to clarify the 'at higher levels' bit: it is your HD? Theirs?

Laeral's Cutting Hand: Can be described as gaining a weapon attack (see Minotaur UA wording), allowing for interaction with other abilities.

Agonizing Spike: No reason this should do force damage - force damage is specific and powerful. How long do they keep doing damage to the target? This is plainly better than magic missile at the same casting level.

Bloody Haze: Use the wording from 'Fog Cloud' to make it sound better. I would have the 'at higher levels' bit be 10/level

Blood Harvest: "If a successful hit is not made in a minute" - makes no sense, since the spell only lasts a minute anyhow. Reword vampiric effect for clarity.

Blood Boiling: Straight better than Hold Person, and does damage without a save or attack roll (intended?).

Status: How is this manifested in the world? How do I as the caster know that my friend has a specific emotion or status condition?

Lacerate: Reword so that it simply does 1d8 damage at the end of your next turn.

Blood Oath: Absurdly powerful. This increases Max Health and any or all modifiers. There is no downside, no concentration.

Masochism: Fine. But I would

Sadism: Cool pairing with Masochism.

Blood of the Martyr: Does not require the careful wording, just do damage to the caster and give the hp to the target. I don't think the target needs to be willing if you are restoring hp. Cool ability.

Blood Whip: I think this is underpowered for a 4th level spell. Consider Magic Weapon or Thorn Whip.

Panacea: There is no ability damage, negative levels, or drained levels in 5e. Look at the back of the PHB for possible status conditions to cure. I should be a higher level spell: Greater Restoration is 5th level and only ends one effect on the target. Also, the word Panacea, meaning universal cure, shouldn't really be 4th level as a concept.

Sustain: This is a much worse version of goodberry.

Wrack: Has no saving throw attached.

Agitate Wounds: Define "wound is treated".

Burning Blood: Not enough damage for a 4th level spell. The DMG suggests 6d10. Cool flavor.

Crimson Scourge: Is it one damage or two each round? This spell will kill any creature without the necessary spell on hand to cure it, and every other creature as well - imagine confronting a dragon in her lair and then just... waiting for it to die so you can grab the loot. *Might* be okay as a 9th level spell.

Heart Attack: Save or die spells are silly. Don't do it. And this should have concentration attached. Looking back, not many of your spells have concentration - add it to most of them.

Rain of Blood: Super cool spell. Needs concentration.

Throbbing Bones: Obvious jokes aside, a great spell. May want to change the name however.

Animate Blood: This spell is cool/good enough without damage. But it would be cool if the droplet was destroyed by their attack.

Nerve Dance: The first sentence makes it sound like the caster is a clown or party entertainer. Then it gets deadly. Don't use the grappled condition, just make the target have the restrained condition. A Strength/Dexterity saving throw makes more sense for a grapple-like thing.

Tattoo of Power: I would allow for only one at a time.

Blood to Water: Fine.

Rain of Terror: I hate it for the pun. Cool stuff though. But how is this a blood spell?

Suffocate: There is no suffocate condition. What does this mean?

Anddd... I just saw at the end of your post how you did not homebrew most of these, so I'll stop now. But the message is clear: I'd claim that these spells are not fit for play without some modifications.

In general I like the theme and all.

Cheers.

Oh wow. I was not expecting this much feedback. Thank you so much! I've looked at a lot of the spells I've listed and gone through to start rewording and reworking.
I do want to point out the aim of Sustain in my opinion. I think this is a fair level-up kind of thing for goodberry, since it doesn't provide healing, but allows for people to go without rations if they need to. I see it being used more as a 'that town is pretty far away, and there aren't many rations the town is willing to spare' and the like. A very utility spell with no hugely beneficial buffs.

Looking at the domain stuff, I see what you're concerned about. I will make blood an expensive component for sure. Blood spells need blood.
But as for the actual effects, do you have any suggestions for other improvements? I'll update the spells here as soon as I'm happy with my list offline.

KoyukiTei13
2016-04-14, 07:24 PM
Moved to Google Doc

zeek0
2016-04-15, 01:48 PM
It seems that feedback on spells is useful for you - here are the last few spells for you:

Evolve: The type consideration for the saving throw is unnecessary, and I can't see why it exists. But my main problem with this is that you can create an Int 13 creature... but that is all. You gain no control over it, so it has no use in combat unless you convince it to help you. Sure, you can create strange beasties - but you also never specify the stat block of the new creature. It has few uses, has no mechanical support, and is strange. So I turn my horse into a giant horse-man... why and what for and what will he do now? Do I do it again to make a race of horse-people?

Longevity: Whoo. What if I roll a 1 and a 3 when I cast this spell? Also, you are saving against... your own spell save DC? This spell should be used by everybody about to die from old age, and nobody who isn't.

Mass Contagion: Sure, why not.

Skeletal Deliquiscence: Cool. But vulnerability is never bestowed on a creature - it is really powerful (especially for a common damage type like piercing).

Spirit Wind: This feels more like necromancy than blood magic. Range: Sight is tricky because not only is it never given, but what if I see a figure walking in a valley a mile away? What if I am scrying you? Change the wording to "All creature within sight of the target". 360 feet is too much - 100 is the maximum I would use. This is my favorite one yet.

Transfusion: Cool. Define corpses: will one corpse do? What if I have two rats? Earthworms? Can I dry out a couple cats and put them in my pocket to use them for this spell? A mirror of Mass Heal; it is okay.

Ancient Curse: Well, it isn't ancient - its rather new when you cast it. Is this spell only for those that are devout? Critical failure does not exist in the base rules. Option 1 is the worst by a looong shot. Good spell however.

Bad Medicine: Sure.

Body Link: The only problem with this is that there are no combat mechanics that can cause you to have a severed limb. Only DM discretion can cause you to lose a limb.

Breath of Death: There are only 3 diseases listed in the DMG, so there are limited options.

Breath of Life: Aside from the ritual tag, this is terribly worse than Transfusion.

Death Pact: I like it fine. You must clarify - can this be cast on yourself?

Energy Drain: Make this a melee spell attack (see: shocking grasp). To note: there are no mechanics in this edition that deal with ability damage. You can reduce it, thereby reducing their ability to, say, hit you with a sword. But reducing Con will not reduce hit points. And what is the duration of this spell? Is it permanent?

Heart Call: Well... sure. It's a death saving throw for any living creature. I don't like them, because against BBEGs or even Small Bad Evil Guys it denies a climax or cool combat stuff. But it's a 9th level spell - I suppose that it can do what it wants.

I'm glad you are having fun with this, and I hope that I don't come off terribly by critiquing most every single spell you've offered. I really just want to help.

I will look at this again in a few days, after you've made and posted some edits.

KoyukiTei13
2016-04-22, 01:50 AM
I'm glad you are having fun with this, and I hope that I don't come off terribly by critiquing most every single spell you've offered. I really just want to help.

I will look at this again in a few days, after you've made and posted some edits.

I adore that you're willing to help. The way you've gone through everything is super duper helpful.

I've compiled all the spells I've put on the forum plus a few more I'd been mulling over into a Google Doc and linked it. :)

KoyukiTei13
2016-09-23, 02:47 AM
I've gone over some of the iffy features, and I think this is a bit better at the moment. I need to work out a good mechanic for the 6th level feature, still.