PDA

View Full Version : Bullrush and momentum

honorconner
2016-04-13, 12:19 AM
Hello I am building a character optimized for move speed, as well as bullrushes.
Now with sprint my move speed could get into the 300-400 range, however my issue I can't find any rules about concerning momentum and bullrush.
To me, moving 30mph (thats 300/round wish) would incur a bonus to such check, my DM is on board with this so how would you rule this?

Troacctid
2016-04-13, 01:34 AM
There is a rule—a bull rush at the end of a charge is made with a +2 bonus.

honorconner
2016-04-13, 03:59 AM
I'm wondering if there is something making speed a factor

Necroticplague
2016-04-13, 04:52 AM
I'm wondering if there is something making speed a factor

Yes. There are some Setting Sun maneuvers that let you hurl someone, moving them around and dealing damage. These maneuvers gain bonuses based on how far you moved. The apex of this ability is Tornado Throw. Admittedly, these are based of Trip, not Bull-rush.

Zaq
2016-04-13, 12:05 PM
Yes. There are some Setting Sun maneuvers that let you hurl someone, moving them around and dealing damage. These maneuvers gain bonuses based on how far you moved. The apex of this ability is Tornado Throw. Admittedly, these are based of Trip, not Bull-rush.

Agreed. This is the only RAW effect I can think of offhand that gives bonuses to some flavor of combat maneuver in a manner that scales based on how far you've moved before doing it, so I think that would be a good starting point if you wanted to houserule in something to that effect.

If you have Improved Skirmish, your Skirmish bonuses sorta-kinda scale with how far you move, but only really one step (10' activates Skirmish, 20' activates Improved Skirmish, and the rules don't care how far you move beyond 20', or even if you move at all after that). I'd be wary of letting Skirmish specifically scale in an uncapped manner, but it is another RAW effect that kinda triggers off movement.

Darrin
2016-04-13, 12:52 PM
If you ever want to kill catgirls in D&D, just mentioning "momentum" is a pretty good way to rack up a body count. The Commoner Railgun is the best example, but I'm sure there are a few others.

That being said... there are a couple things (other than Tornado Throw) that you can use to leverage the distance on your charge:

Mark of Minauros (Fiendish Codex II). +2 attack bonus for every 10' of your charge. Pairs up nicely with Power Attack. Requires you to be a Lawful Evil devil, though.

Roof-Jumper (Cityscape). Tactical feat with the "Death From Above" option, where you "leap down" on an opponent from above. For each 10' you fall after the first 10' you get +1d6 damage. There's some argument over how exactly you activate this ability, whether it works on any fall regardless of how it started or if you have to spend an action, and if so, what kind of action: move to jump, full-round to charge, and so forth. It's similar to another feat, Battlejump (Unapproachable East), which also has some considerable arguments about how to activate it, but with that one you get a damage multiplier rather than a particular bonus per distance fallen.

ComaVision
2016-04-13, 01:02 PM
If you're looking at a homebrew solution, just take the bonus formula from Jump and apply it to Bullrush checks.