PDA

View Full Version : Better name for the "Augmented Blade" archetype for the Soul Knife

gadren
2016-04-13, 01:10 AM
Dreamscarred Press recently published an archetype for the Soul Knife called the "Augmented Blade" where instead of conjuring a mindblade, the character implants his psicrystal in a physical blade and basically psionically enchants it.

I like the idea, but the name leaves much to be desired, and wish to call it something else in my campaign. A name that people might actually use in-character.

The best I've thought up so far is "Enlightened Blade".

Anyone got any better ideas?

digiman619
2016-04-13, 02:27 AM
Amplified Blade? Reinforced Blade? Intensifier?

NevinPL
2016-04-13, 03:42 AM
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/augmented ?

gadren
2016-04-13, 08:39 AM
I don't just want different words for augment. The name can mean something completely different than augment or blade.

I want something that sounds fitting for a fantasy setting, something people would actually say in-character.

Gallowglass
2016-04-13, 08:41 AM
Soulsword

sounds a little like sellsword.

gadren
2016-04-13, 08:43 AM
Soulsword

sounds a little like sellsword.

My first reaction is that's a good one, though perhaps it is not distinct enough from "soulknife".

Gallowglass
2016-04-13, 09:02 AM
Lord Krystar, master of the crystal sword

Manyasone
2016-04-13, 10:28 AM
Sometimes it's better to keep it simple. Hexagon Edge, for instance

Dekion
2016-04-13, 11:22 AM
The general response thus far is the best way to go...Call it something that you like, even if it's completely fabricated. Few of my fellow players and DMs ever refer to the "textbook" name for their class in character. I mean, you have "I'm a wizard," or "I'm a ranger" as pretty common responses, as we've grown up seeing/hearing these terms used in works of fiction, but rare is going to be the individual who, in character, says "I'm a bladebound kensai magus," or even just "I'm a bladebound kensai." It's more likely that someone would say something like "I'm an arcane swordmaster, bound to a mystic blade." Get creative, and even choose to keep the official class name and your preferred description of the class completely separate.

NamelessNPC
2016-04-13, 11:38 AM
...but he's already decided that that is what he wants to do. He's asking for help because he can't come up with a name.

Do you want a name for the weapon itself (like metablade or infused blade) or a name for an organization that uses that thing (like The Eldritch Swordsmen) or just some guy that calls himself something fancy?

gadren
2016-04-13, 01:26 PM
...but he's already decided that that is what he wants to do. He's asking for help because he can't come up with a name.

Do you want a name for the weapon itself (like metablade or infused blade) or a name for an organization that uses that thing (like The Eldritch Swordsmen) or just some guy that calls himself something fancy?
Name for an organization and its members.
Leaning toward "Diamond Guard" at the moment.

Dekion
2016-04-13, 01:30 PM
Excellent point, I guess I was focused on the fact that his idea seemed to cling to idea of the original name, and thought that maybe encouraging complete deviation from it may initiate a epiphany. That said, I can understand Gadren's issue, once I had that name and description in my head, it was hard for me to deviate from a similar name, or some derivative that sounds like a bad comic book hero/villain.