PDA

View Full Version : Supernatural spells and metamagic?

Monk of love
2016-04-13, 06:02 AM
So I tried before but to no avail.

There's a prc class called dweomerkeeper in cdivine and they have an ability called "supernatural spell". The rules state that metamagic cannot be applied to su abilities, how does this interact with the supernatural spell ability they have?

MisterKaws
2016-04-13, 08:16 AM
Tome of Magic, Binder section.

Urpriest
2016-04-13, 08:50 AM
Tome of Magic, Binder section.

...no?

Anyway, Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell is applied to a spell that the Dweomerkeeper has already prepared, so it will already have metamagic on it before it gets turned into a supernatural ability.

MisterKaws
2016-04-13, 09:03 AM
...no?

Yes, Meta-Sp feats.

Anyway, Dweomerkeeper's Supernatural Spell is applied to a spell that the Dweomerkeeper has already prepared, so it will already have metamagic on it before it gets turned into a supernatural ability.

That works too.

Ashtagon
2016-04-13, 09:09 AM
I'm fairly sure one of the 3.5e splats has "Extended Supernatural Ability" and similar "metamagic" feats for supernatural abilities.

Urpriest
2016-04-13, 09:29 AM
I'm fairly sure one of the 3.5e splats has "Extended Supernatural Ability" and similar "metamagic" feats for supernatural abilities.

It does, and it was mentioned by MisterKaws, and then as now it doesn't really answer the OP's question. (Though I guess if the answer to the OP's question was "no" it would be a very feat-intensive way of getting around the problem.)

Ashtagon
2016-04-13, 12:23 PM
It does, and it was mentioned by MisterKaws, and then as now it doesn't really answer the OP's question. (Though I guess if the answer to the OP's question was "no" it would be a very feat-intensive way of getting around the problem.)

"The rules"? Which rule states that metamagic feats designed to work with supernatural abilities simply fail to function?

Certainly, the SRD metamagic feats only work witrh actual spells. But a shedload of new feas were added that allow metamagic type effects to be applied to new stuff.

Psyren
2016-04-13, 12:35 PM
Dweomerkeerper's ability is funky. As written, the spell you convert is still a spell, it just has many of the properties of a supernatural ability. Ergo, metamagic should still be applicable, whether you apply it ahead of time, or spontaneously (e.g. via a rod.)