PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Troll

Shadowscale
2016-04-13, 06:09 AM
Anyone know any way or have an idea on how a troll pc in pathfinder would be? I want to play one, but with no savage species I'm not sure how.

Necroticplague
2016-04-13, 06:17 AM
Anyone know any way or have an idea on how a troll pc in pathfinder would be? I want to play one, but with no savage species I'm not sure how.

Here you go, the rules for such (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/monstersAsPCs.html).

BWR
2016-04-13, 06:24 AM
The general rule for monster PCs is that your CR = ECL. So with a troll out of the box you'd be the equivalent of a level 5 character. This system works well enough for low CR things but the higher you go the less it works. Trolls are powerful enough that if you play a mostly combat-focused game you might want to consider them being another level or two higher for their base ECL. If you play a more social game where everyone hates trolls and a troll will face harsh in game penalties, you might want to consider lowering the ECL a level or two.

There is not, to my knowledge, a racial level version of the troll for PF. It's been a while since I looked through Savage Species but it should be compatible with little or no effort if you want to go that route.

Shadowscale
2016-04-13, 06:27 AM
The general rule for monster PCs is that your CR = ECL. So with a troll out of the box you'd be the equivalent of a level 5 character. This system works well enough for low CR things but the higher you go the less it works. Trolls are powerful enough that if you play a mostly combat-focused game you might want to consider them being another level or two higher for their base ECL. If you play a more social game where everyone hates trolls and a troll will face harsh in game penalties, you might want to consider lowering the ECL a level or two.

There is not, to my knowledge, a racial level version of the troll for PF. It's been a while since I looked through Savage Species but it should be compatible with little or no effort if you want to go that route.
Thank you, I know a
privateer Press book that was on kickstart had Trollkin, but I also do not own it, it seems if I wanted to play from first level the SS model with LA buyback would be my best bet?

Coidzor
2016-04-13, 07:15 PM
That or the GM working with you to make a custom lesser Troll using race points.

Psyren
2016-04-13, 08:31 PM

If you read the monsters as PCs rules that Necroticplague linked, you'll notice that the rules include built-in "CR buyoff." In other words, every few levels the Troll will get bonus levels so they don't fall too far behind higher-level PCs. Thus a level 20 troll would actually have a total of 17 class levels rather than 15, which should be enough to keep pace with level 20 PCs.

For example, in a party going from 5-11, a Troll Barbarian's progression would like like:

5th-level party = Troll
6th-level party = Troll Barbarian 1
7th-level party = Troll Barbarian 2
Bonus level 1 = Troll Barbarian 3
8th-level party = Troll Barbarian 4
9th-level party = Troll Barbarian 5
10th-level party = Troll Barbarian 6
Bonus level 2 = Troll Barbarian 7
11th-level party = Troll Barbarian 8

From here on the levels would be gained on a 1:1 basis. He'd miss out on two rage powers and mighty rage - but large size, regen and massive base strength should make up for it.

Tanuki Tales
2016-04-13, 10:12 PM
Sewer Troll (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/giants/troll/troll-sewer) is an option too, as long as you can find a way around the first round of being blinded (dazzled is really not that big a debuff, in the grand scheme of things).

In case you wanted to squeeze more levels into your build and wanted the overall troll feel.

BWR
2016-04-14, 12:22 AM
If you read the monsters as PCs rules that Necroticplague linked, you'll notice that the rules include built-in "CR buyoff." In other words, every few levels the Troll will get bonus levels so they don't fall too far behind higher-level PCs. Thus a level 20 troll would actually have a total of 17 class levels rather than 15, which should be enough to keep pace with level 20 PCs.

For example, in a party going from 5-11, a Troll Barbarian's progression would like like:

5th-level party = Troll
6th-level party = Troll Barbarian 1
7th-level party = Troll Barbarian 2
Bonus level 1 = Troll Barbarian 3
8th-level party = Troll Barbarian 4
9th-level party = Troll Barbarian 5
10th-level party = Troll Barbarian 6
Bonus level 2 = Troll Barbarian 7
11th-level party = Troll Barbarian 8

From here on the levels would be gained on a 1:1 basis. He'd miss out on two rage powers and mighty rage - but large size, regen and massive base strength should make up for it.

Right, forgot about that. It's been a while since I read the rules.

meschlum
2016-04-14, 01:52 AM
Using the RP system (here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-races)) and avoiding too much abuse, you could do the following:

Level 1: Large, Paragon (+4 Strength, -2 to all mental), Reach, Darkvision - a generic giant style package, for 10 RP so you're a 'normal' race.
Level 2: Take your first 'LA' equivalent, increasing your RP to 20. Use this to get Bite, Claws, Fast Healing 1, and Low Light Vision. You've got the basic troll framework down and you can keep leveling up from here.
Level 3: Take your second class level.
Level 4: Take your third class level.
Level 5: Take your fourth class level. Or retrain as a Troll, I guess.
Level 6: Take your fifth class level, and you can boost your RP to 30. Get Another point of Fast Healing (2 total), and Scent (31 RP total). Or Natural Armor +2 for 30 RP. Or be a Troll / Class level 1. You could also keep your RP at 20 and upgrade to Class 6 (which is nice).
Level 7: Take your sixth class level. Or Troll / Class 2
Level 8: Class 7, or Troll / Class 4
Level 11: You can boost your RP to 40. So more Fast Healing (to 3 - 21 RP total invested) and Natural Armor +1, perhaps? Also 10 class levels. Or Troll / Class 8.
Level 12+: just get more class levels.
Level 16: if using RP, get another class level, so you're class level 16 at this point. Or Troll / Class 13.

So the RP based build is a bit worse than Troll (less NA, no Rake, less fast heal (and no regen)), but you get three extra class levels out of it eventually. That's assuming you can upgrade your RP value over time, of course. Otherwise, you 'just' have low Fast Healing, Darkvision, and Reach, which is fairy impressive on a melee template anyway.

DarthSpader
2016-04-14, 04:01 PM
To play a troll - make a gnome wizard or sorcerer. Run around casting silent image and ghost sound. Make people see crazy stuff. Use magic to play tricks on people, annoy and otherwise bait into combat. And best of all, no level adjust!