PDA

View Full Version : Resistances and Magical Weapons

DontEatRawHagis
2016-04-13, 07:08 AM
So I was looking at the Flame Skull and noticed it didn't say Resist Non-Magical weapons, but instead piercing it lead me to two questions.
1. Do magical weapons ignore resistances?
2. If a monster is resistant to Non-magical weapons and slashing does a magic sword ignore both resistances?

RickAllison
2016-04-13, 07:23 AM
So I was looking at the Flame Skull and noticed it didn't say Resist Non-Magical weapons, but instead piercing it lead me to two questions.
2. If a monster is resistant to Non-magical weapons and slashing does a magic sword ignore both resistances?

1) They ignore resistance to non-magical weapon attacks only

2) It ignores the first, but is resisted by the second.

A flameskull resists magical arrows as well as it does non-magical ones or piercing damage from any source.

A treant would resist any bludgeoning or piercing damage. Dripping Meteor Swarm on a bunch of them would mean the fire damage is doubled, but the bludgeoning damage is halved.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-04-13, 07:26 AM

1. No. The flameskull resists all piercing damage, even from magical weapons.
2. No. The magic hammer works as normal, but the magic sword is resisted.

A more illustrative example is swarms. Imagine swinging a sword at a swarm of bees. Every bee it hits will die, but that has little impact on the swarm as a whole, hence resistance to slashing damage. A magical sword can't do any more damage to an individual bee, and it can't hit any more of them than a mundane sword can, so the resistance is not overcome by a magical weapon.