PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a build for a thrower.

Misterwhisper
2016-04-13, 07:45 AM
Hey guys, I am just putting out some feelers for a concept I want to play.

I an looking to play a character that is built to throw things, like knives or other small items. Probably dual wield them in melee as well.

I am not picky on most things other than the fact that they specialize in throwing not a primary other duild that can throw.

Any ideas or builds already around?

P.S. My DM has no issue with thrown weapons gaining the ammunition property to make them draw able to throw.

Giant2005
2016-04-13, 07:51 AM
Rogue is basically all you are going to get. When making the game the devs forgot to consider thrown attacks and did not give them a property that allows them to be drawn as part of making an attack (like they did for bows for example).
That limits you to a single thrown attack per round, or two if you have the Dual-Wielder feat. Any more than that and you have to start dipping into more limited actions. That is why the Rogue is best for such a build - their damage doesn't rely on making multiple attacks.

Zman
2016-04-13, 07:57 AM
There isn't much support for it, but you could offer a bit of Homebrew. I wrote this feat for my "Tweaks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482259-Zman-s-5e-Tweaks)".

You could change it back to "ignores half and three quarters cover" to be in line with other weapons feats.

Thrown Weapon Expert
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
Your thrown weapon attacks ignore half cover and treat three-quarters cover as half cover.
You can draw weapons with the thrown property as a free action and can make as many attacks in a round as you have attacks and weapons available.
As a bonus action you may draw and throw a light thrown weapon so long as you have at least one free hand.

Misterwhisper
2016-04-13, 08:05 AM
Rogue is basically all you are going to get. When making the game the devs forgot to consider thrown attacks and did not give them a property that allows them to be drawn as part of making an attack (like they did for bows for example).
That limits you to a single thrown attack per round, or two if you have the Dual-Wielder feat. Any more than that and you have to start dipping into more limited actions. That is why the Rogue is best for such a build - their damage doesn't rely on making multiple attacks.

There isn't much support for it, but you could offer a bit of Homebrew. I wrote this feat for my "Tweaks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?482259-Zman-s-5e-Tweaks)".

You could change it back to "ignores half and three quarters cover" to be in line with other weapons feats.

Thrown Weapon Expert
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your thrown weapon attack rolls.
Your thrown weapon attacks ignore half cover and treat three-quarters cover as half cover.
You can draw weapons with the thrown property as a free action and can make as many attacks in a round as you have attacks and weapons available.
As a bonus action you may draw and throw a light thrown weapon so long as you have at least one free hand.

I should mention that my DM is fine with throwing weapons having the ammunition property so they can be drawn for free.

Misterwhisper
2016-04-13, 09:29 AM
Things would be so much easier if the school of blades bard school was just made a battlemaster fighter path.

Might be lacking in skills though.

I might could swing ranger, but overall ranger is kind of meh.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-04-13, 09:46 AM
I should mention that my DM is fine with throwing weapons having the ammunition property so they can be drawn for free.
In that case... Fighter? That'll get you the most attacks per round. Take Sharpshooter, maybe dip for one of the bonus damage spells. If you go for high Strength that'll give you an excuse not to use a bow.

Misterwhisper
2016-04-13, 12:18 PM
In that case... Fighter? That'll get you the most attacks per round. Take Sharpshooter, maybe dip for one of the bonus damage spells. If you go for high Strength that'll give you an excuse not to use a bow.

Yeah, I just remembered the scout path for fighter from the kits of old pdf. It is exactly what I am looking for.

DracoKnight
2016-04-13, 12:44 PM
Monk can also pull it off. If you go 3 Rogue (honestly any Archetype, but Assassin might be the best)/ 17 Shadow Monk you can teleport, throw your weapons, and then on the next round throw four weapons by spending a ki point. Repeat for insane mobility.

Misterwhisper
2016-04-13, 03:13 PM
Monk can also pull it off. If you go 3 Rogue (honestly any Archetype, but Assassin might be the best)/ 17 Shadow Monk you can teleport, throw your weapons, and then on the next round throw four weapons by spending a ki point. Repeat for insane mobility.

Actually you can't make the bonus action attacks with thrown weapons or daggers/javelins, they have to be unarmed.

DracoKnight
2016-04-13, 03:15 PM
Actually you can't make the bonus action attacks with thrown weapons or daggers/javelins, they have to be unarmed.

Huh...that's correct. My group has never played that way. We Flurry with Monk weapons :smalltongue:

Joe the Rat
2016-04-13, 03:28 PM
I'm allowing it as part of a Monk weapon user tradition: Flurry of Throws

really the big advantage in terms of a throwing build is the scaling damage dice. It's nice, but you'd get more impact (ha!) With a dagger-tossing Rogue.
I'd go Battlemaster over the Sort-of-Battlemaster archetypes for one reason: Trick shots.

Fighter (BM), possibly with Rogue (sneak attack damage) or Ranger (Hunter archetype, hunter's mark, entangling strike, hail of thorns, etc - make sure you have some darts for those ammo-destroying spells), Sharpshooter for Thrown Weapons, and go to town.

Just make sure your DM approves everything worthing with thrown property weapons, and have at it.

MBControl
2016-04-13, 08:50 PM
I'm going steer away from the class build at the moment. I thought you might think about making a type of potion/poison maker. Throwing "grenades" of poison, smoke, other stuff. Not sure it that can work for you, but just an idea.

djreynolds
2016-04-14, 01:29 AM
The UA Bard college of swords

Saggo
2016-04-14, 10:59 AM
You'll need to talk with your DM if you want to use Archery Fighting Style or Sharpshooter, because neither of those work with most thrown weapons out of the box. Both of those specify using a ranged weapon, the only thrown ranged weapons right now are darts and nets. Thrown Daggers, for example, are melee weapons making a ranged attack.

MrFahrenheit
2016-04-14, 01:14 PM
Darts are both a ranged weapon and a thrown weapon. Sure it's only at a d4, but you'll have class abilities to cover for the low dice.

N810
2016-04-14, 01:21 PM
Hmm... What about Javelins ?

Saggo
2016-04-14, 02:21 PM
Hmm... What about Javelins ?

Javelins are simple melee weapons.

N810
2016-04-14, 02:25 PM
that you throw...

Saggo
2016-04-14, 02:43 PM
that you throw...
In regards to Archery and Sharpshooter, that doesn't matter.

MrFahrenheit
2016-04-14, 03:16 PM
In regards to Archery and Sharpshooter, that doesn't matter.

Should work with darts though.

Foxhound438
2016-04-14, 03:38 PM
dart thrower rogue is fine in my experience. 5 levels of fighter lets you have extra attack, and with eldritch knight you can get your dart back as a bonus action, draw one with your free interaction. 2 throws with a potential for high sneak attack damage.

best thing there is with the fighter levels you can use a shield. Otherwise hand crossbow fighter would be flat better across the board, and honestly that's what I'd do still.