PDA

View Full Version : Can you reliably dual wield halflings?

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 08:22 AM
With expertise in athletics, barbarian rage and tavern brawler + dual wielder feat could you for instance carry around two sedated halflings in your belt and keep them as your weapon of choice? :D

JumboWheat01
2016-04-13, 08:30 AM
I don't see why not. I'm a strong proponent of the "throw the halfling to make an improvised ranged weapon attack," and I play halflings quite frequently! It's also an awesome way to enter combat, being flung through the air, short sword in hand, ready to stab what I'm thrown at.

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 09:09 AM
I don't see why not. I'm a strong proponent of the "throw the halfling to make an improvised ranged weapon attack," and I play halflings quite frequently! It's also an awesome way to enter combat, being flung through the air, short sword in hand, ready to stab what I'm thrown at.

Could also capture two cannibal halflings that bite and scratch at the enemies you swing em at for additional damage! ;)

Belac93
2016-04-13, 09:11 AM
Oh god, did I inspire this?

Sure! An elf is two handed, right? The best part is when you take two-weapon fighter and dual wield halflings. :smallbiggrin:
As long as you can grapple them, I see no problem with this.

Anyway, I would say yes! But why do they have to be sedated? Just take a couple of halfling barbarians, toss them into melee, and you're set. If their raging at the time, they won't take too much damage from hitting the enemies.

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 09:27 AM
Oh god, did I inspire this?

Anyway, I would say yes! But why do they have to be sedated? Just take a couple of halfling barbarians, toss them into melee, and you're set. If their raging at the time, they won't take too much damage from hitting the enemies.

Yes lol saw your suggestion and have thought about that very same scenario before myself so thought heck why not make a post about it for ****s and giggles, the sedation part is mostly if you have unwilling halflings as weapons to avoid them biting and scratching at your legs when they hang on your weapon belt. :)

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 09:43 AM
Anyways thought up an evil bastard of a PC that would fit the concept!

Enter "Duralf Bonebreaker" chaotic evil mountain dwarf battle master 6 / rogue 1 / bearbarian 13. With point buy he would look like this as lvl 1 fighter:
17/14/17/8/10/8 first two ASI from fighter into dual wielder and tavern brawler, rest into maxing STR and CON, his expertise from rogue would go into intimidation and athletics.

Background probably guild artisan/ merchant with customization "slave trader" he trades slaves but keeps small folk to break their will with torture and all sorts of abuse until they become indifferent from apathy then he "weaponize" them with outfits similar to a battleragers, prob something like leather armor riddled with studs, blades and spikes and then goes to town using said weaponized halflings as weapons. :)

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 10:35 AM
Then later into the game you could have some crazed wizard to enchant your weaponized halflings, and if they die just have the party necromancer raise them and have all fun in the world swinging your +1 fiery halfling zombies around. :D

Mr.Moron
2016-04-13, 10:44 AM
You'd need to replace them regularly. As using them in a such a manner would quickly kill them, and past that probably turn the corpses to ground beef in just a day of prolonged use. Even past that they'd start decaying pretty quickly.

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 10:50 AM
You'd need to replace them regularly. As using them in a such a manner would quickly kill them, and past that probably turn the corpses to ground beef in just a day of prolonged use. Even past that they'd start decaying pretty quickly.

Spend downtime to learn to use herbalism kit and make healing potions that you give your apathy struck halfling weapons between combats. :)

JeffreyGator
2016-04-13, 10:50 AM

Animate dead. zombie halflings won't need sedation.

You just need a friendly necromancer willing to let you use two of the daily zombies.

Mr.Moron
2016-04-13, 11:04 AM
Animate dead. zombie halflings won't need sedation.

You just need a friendly necromancer willing to let you use two of the daily zombies.

You'd still need to replace them frequently though. As zombies are still just made of flesh and bone, impervious to pain perhaps but not any less prone than being torn apart by repeated flings against metal, wood and stone. So your necromancer buddy would not only have to spend his resources to make the zombies, but to repair them as well.

Bodies just aren't particularly resilient when compared to weapons (this is a big part of why weapons work so well on bodies).

A better solution may just to find some way to permanently enchant them against rot or damage. Something like an Everwhole Orphan or the like.

EvilAnagram
2016-04-13, 11:07 AM
Can you ever really rely on halflings?

gfishfunk
2016-04-13, 11:10 AM
With GWM, I think two-handed wielding one half-orc would have better damage, and it would free up your bonus action so you don't have to attack with your off-hand halfling.

Or wielding one elf for ranged attacks would work.

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 11:52 AM
With GWM, I think two-handed wielding one half-orc would have better damage, and it would free up your bonus action so you don't have to attack with your off-hand halfling.

Good sir! Do you have any idea of the logistics and work it takes to enslave and break the will of a big bulky and violent half Orc?! No good sir the weaponized halfling™ is the future in humanoid weaponry mark my word! :)

When you buy one of Breakers & sons weaponized halflings™ You know that you hold a lovingly broken and subjugated halfling in your hands, ready to fill your bludgeoning needs. Our halflings come fully subjugated and equipped with a studded and spiked leather armor that is padded to ensure longer life for your quality product!

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 12:44 PM
You'd still need to replace them frequently though. As zombies are still just made of flesh and bone, impervious to pain perhaps but not any less prone than being torn apart by repeated flings against metal, wood and stone. So your necromancer buddy would not only have to spend his resources to make the zombies, but to repair them as well.

Bodies just aren't particularly resilient when compared to weapons (this is a big part of why weapons work so well on bodies).

A better solution may just to find some way to permanently enchant them against rot or damage. Something like an Everwhole Orphan or the like.

Take the mending cantrip and repair them with that between battles maybe?

Joe the Rat
2016-04-13, 01:37 PM
Anyway, I would say yes! But why do they have to be sedated? Just take a couple of halfling barbarians, toss them into melee, and you're set. If their raging at the time, they won't take too much damage from hitting the enemies.If those are Bear Totem Halflings, we just added a another layer to Sir Bearington.

krugaan
2016-04-13, 01:50 PM
it's bears all the way down!

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 03:41 PM
If those are Bear Totem Halflings, we just added a another layer to Sir Bearington.

A bear totem barbarian/fighter/rogue, dual wielding two bear totem halfling barbarians while riding on a bear form druid. :D

krugaan
2016-04-13, 03:43 PM
A bear totem barbarian/fighter/rogue, dual wielding two bear totem halfling barbarians while riding on a bear form druid. :D

I'd throw a picnic basket and then run the other way.

jas61292
2016-04-13, 04:42 PM
I hate to be that guy, but while I have no problem with someone swinging about a halfling as a weapon, there is absolutely no way they could be dual wielded. An average halfling weighs around 40 pounds, and is not designed with a convenient handle. The heaviest weapon in the game is the pike, weighing a measly 18 pounds. Your typical halfling is over 6 times heavier than the heaviest normal weapon you can dual wield, and that is the dual mounted lances. With a more normal dual wield setup, the halfling is going to weighs at least 10 times more. And all these other weapons are designed to be used one handed. I'm sorry, but using the weapon table as it is, I would most certainly have to stat out a halfling as two-handed and heavy, eliminating any shot at dual wielding.

Now that said, Great Weapon Fighting with it gets would most certainly be ok by me. If you really want that extra attack, well, you are going barbarian anyways, so just be a berserker. Seems fitting.

Spacehamster
2016-04-13, 05:14 PM
I hate to be that guy, but while I have no problem with someone swinging about a halfling as a weapon, there is absolutely no way they could be dual wielded. An average halfling weighs around 40 pounds, and is not designed with a convenient handle. The heaviest weapon in the game is the pike, weighing a measly 18 pounds. Your typical halfling is over 6 times heavier than the heaviest normal weapon you can dual wield, and that is the dual mounted lances. With a more normal dual wield setup, the halfling is going to weighs at least 10 times more. And all these other weapons are designed to be used one handed. I'm sorry, but using the weapon table as it is, I would most certainly have to stat out a halfling as two-handed and heavy, eliminating any shot at dual wielding.

Now that said, Great Weapon Fighting with it gets would most certainly be ok by me. If you really want that extra attack, well, you are going barbarian anyways, so just be a berserker. Seems fitting.

A broken and subjugated and starved halfling would probably weigh in at much less tho and a 20 STR char can carry around 300lbs plus a halfling is about the length of a longsword so I say halflings were pretty much made for dual wielding. :)

bid
2016-04-13, 05:23 PM
Saddle-free? He's riding bare.

Joe the Rat
2016-04-13, 05:33 PM
We can save a druid dip and get a werebear to bite our burly friend, so we have a bear totem werebear barbarian bearing a pair bare-headed bear totem halflings as he rides a bear totem barbarian / bear shaped druid (who summons more bears) bareback. >cough<

JumboWheat01
2016-04-13, 05:35 PM
We can save a druid dip and get a werebear to bite our burly friend, so we have a bear totem werebear barbarian bearing a pair bare-headed bear totem halflings as he rides a bear totem barbarian / bear shaped druid (who summons more bears) bareback. >cough<

By all that's holy, infernal and fey, I think I'd just throw down my weapons and run for the nearest city if I saw that.

EvanescentHero
2016-04-13, 07:22 PM

Gentle repose would protect a dead halfling from rot, but that's quite the investment for this trick, and you'd still have to protect them from damage.

Rub
2016-04-13, 11:30 PM

Sir, that is absolutely absurd. You would obviously need to wield an Aarakocra for ranged attacks! :smallwink:

djreynolds
2016-04-14, 01:28 AM
The real question is, will the DM allow you to use archery style and throw them. And do they return to you?

caden_varn
2016-04-14, 05:34 AM
The real question is, will the DM allow you to use archery style and throw them. And do they return to you?

Depends how well-trained they are. Assuming they survive the impact, they might scamper back to you.

Not sure how aerodynamic the average elf is though. As per Rub, Aarakocra may be better - self-guiding missiles...

gfishfunk
2016-04-14, 08:55 AM
Sir, that is absolutely absurd. You would obviously need to wield an Aarakocra for ranged attacks! :smallwink:

C'mon. Aarakocra are just cheese races. We are talking about a serious build here.