PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladain (Curse of Strahd) Feat vs ASI question.

Eladain
2016-04-13, 09:03 AM
So, my playgroup and I are currently running through CoS and just hit lvl 4 last night. I'm playing a Half-Elf Paladin (Vengeance) and am trying to decide between feats or ASI going forward to best optimize him. The rest of the party includes a Fighter(Battlemaster), Cleric(Light), Sorceror(Wild), and a Ranger(Hunter). Initially I had planned on grabbing PAM/Sentinel and while not necessarily being super tanky, be enough of an obstacle to keep things off of our cleric/sorceror. Knowing I'll only get 2 ASI/Feats though is it worth grabbing those or would straight stat bumps be better?

My current stats are: 16 Str, 10 Dex, 14 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 16 Cha

There is also the consideration for just using my shield and longsword, grabbing shield master and then have the 1 last feat/asi to play with. I don't think any route is necessarily bad, but I like to get as much bang for my buck as possible.

Thanks!

Gtdead
2016-04-13, 09:22 AM
I haven't played the module myself but every person that ever asked for paladin build help for curse of strahd, he mentioned that he gets focused too much.

I feel that this is something that you need to account for. Personally I'd just go PAM and put my other ASI on strength. Reach is as good a defense as it gets imo.

Fighting_Ferret
2016-04-13, 01:40 PM
PAM is an offensive feat, you will get to use your reaction more often, and get a bonus action to get a lesser attack then your main attacks. All of which can be used to enable smite damage (at the cost of spell slots per hit). There is no defense built into it without the sentinel feat as well.

Shield Master also gives you a bonus action option, while not a direct damage attack, can prone an enemy, granting advantage to melee attacks (even your own, due to using the shield bash first), grants you a +2 to AC via the shield, and gives you even better defensive options if attacked via spells.
*note that the prone condition grants disadvantage to ranged attacks*

Are you the primary tank, or extra damage dealer? Is the ranger an archer or dual wielder? Those questions should help you determine your choice... Good feat combos are PAM with Sentinel or Shield Master and War Caster, if you buff yourself in combat (Protection from Good/Evil or Shield of Faith, Hunter's Mark, etc...)

Specter
2016-04-13, 02:37 PM
Depends on what you do/want.

Defender? Sentinel.
Destroyer? Great Weapon Master.
Wanting to cast spells with a shield? War Caster.
Shield-lover? Shield Master.
Better CON saves? Resilient (CON).

But a feat is better than an ASI, I think, if only for the fun.

Eladain
2016-04-13, 04:05 PM
PAM is an offensive feat, you will get to use your reaction more often, and get a bonus action to get a lesser attack then your main attacks. All of which can be used to enable smite damage (at the cost of spell slots per hit). There is no defense built into it without the sentinel feat as well.

Shield Master also gives you a bonus action option, while not a direct damage attack, can prone an enemy, granting advantage to melee attacks (even your own, due to using the shield bash first), grants you a +2 to AC via the shield, and gives you even better defensive options if attacked via spells.
*note that the prone condition grants disadvantage to ranged attacks*

Are you the primary tank, or extra damage dealer? Is the ranger an archer or dual wielder? Those questions should help you determine your choice... Good feat combos are PAM with Sentinel or Shield Master and War Caster, if you buff yourself in combat (Protection from Good/Evil or Shield of Faith, Hunter's Mark, etc...)

It does look like I'll be the primary tank. The fighter is favoring a GWF build, the ranger is actually doing a Str build with spear/javelins. So it's looking like shield master may be the choice. Then depending on how much I end up casting in combat from 4-8 either war caster or perhaps one of the Resilient feats.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

djreynolds
2016-04-14, 02:19 AM
I am playing right now, and we got a pass on a TPK.

The game is not linear, it is sandbox. Retreat is an option, an option I wish I had taken tonight. Be careful. There are enemies out there well above you.

I would say charisma, but remember at 6th level it is a +3 vs +4 for saves, in terms of a 16 or 18 charisma, and you can cast bless.
Hunter's mark will work with PAM unless you've killed your opponent or you switch. So go with PAM.

Grab PAM and then grab strength. And crazy as it sounds, Heavy Armor Master may help with knocks that hit you as you're lacking a shield. Also magic initiate for absorb elements could be nice to have.

Boris4lumis
2016-05-29, 06:52 AM
I am also playing CoS (in the Adventurer's League). We play on different tables each week, so we are never really optimised as a party. I am playing a dueling duergar paladin with an oath of vengeance. I scraped into level 4 this week.

I anticipate reaching level 5, but doubt I will ever reach level 6, as this is AL. In my mind, I want to Find Steed and ride a giant spider into battle, though I haven't permission yet, and it may not be sensible.

Just now, I need to choose how to use the ASI or feat.
S16, D12, C15, I8, W10, Ch14.

Taking an ASI seems dull. I haven't mastered role play as well as I would like, so I will pursue the target of getting advantage as my focus - ideally for my party members too. This is something I enjoy.

To this end, shield master seems like a possibility, using a bonus shove for prone. The enlarge option of the duergar does this too. I cannot give up the role of tank, as I am already cast as one of the tanks in our FLGS.

I would really welcome the advice of others who have played at this level before. If there is a feat which will help me create better stories, this is what I want.

Sir cryosin
2016-05-29, 07:32 AM
I play a lv7 palay in CoS right now my main stats are 17,17, 17 my next ASI is going to be +1 into 2 stats str and char. I'm doing this because I need a higher dc and to hit. We met sthard a couple of time and my ability made him burn one of his legendary actions. With it so I want to make sure that happens again of fall for it. Aka I'm playing a oath breaker palay but im a palay of kelemvor I'm N .