PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What skill governs the making of candy and toys?

Levism84
2016-04-13, 12:37 PM
Not looking to build Santa Claus or anything, but I was wondering what skill would cover the making of candies and toys?

For making candy (sweet or sour, sugary treats) I could see:
* Craft (alchemy)
* Craft (candy)
* Profession (baker)

For making toys (wooden or metal) I could see
* Craft (woodcarving)
* Craft (metalworking)
* Profession (toy maker)

What would you suggest? Granted, this is more for background and flavor in a Pathfinder Game, but I wanted a character to reliably be able to make candy and toys.

Dekion
2016-04-13, 12:54 PM
I agree with Profession as your core skill. Craft would seem applicable, but it normally applies to things that have some type of mechanical benefit in game. Now, could you combine Craft (alchemy) and Profession (toymaker) to make toy wagons that explode when they are rolled into something, DM allowing, but if you aren't going for anything that dark, then sticking with the Profession skill should suffice.

Barstro
2016-04-13, 12:58 PM
In the real world, baking is very different from cooking (science vs. art) and making sugar treats is different from both of those (sugar needs the correct temperature to have the correct characteristics).

If your character is making;
Sweet fruits up to an upside down cake - just cooking (is that a skill?)
Cookies, brownies, cakes, souffles - baking
Spun sugar, hard candy, lollipops - I like alchemy

For toys, I think it's all on the medium

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-04-13, 01:56 PM
Oh god, my mind went straight to Folca upon reading the title... I'd have to say a variety of Craft skills (carpentry would be a big one, clockwork for fancier ones), Profession (Baker), or Confectioner if your GM allows it.

Nibbens
2016-04-13, 02:14 PM
I've ended up in situations like this with my PCs. Particularly with toys. (What? They make for creepy loot from past civilizations. lol.)
Usually, the conversations go like this:

I let them say what they want to do.
I call for a check - whatever I feel is more appropriate.
PC: "I don't have that, will X work instead."
DM: "Sure, at X penalty." (usually a -2 or something benign)
PC: "Okay, but I also have Y. Would that help as well?" (Y is usually a related skill. To draw upon an example already used. ei. Profession:Baker with Craft:Confections)
DM: "Okay, I'll allow you to use whichever is higher, and I'll allow a +Z bonus to it just for having the other skill." (Z is often enough to balance out or just tip the scales of the previous penalty)
PC: *Immediately, all the PCs start looking at their character sheets for possibilities to get the checks even higher. Allowing for a cooperative experience in which everyone at the table is helping.*

This is what I call a win. Even if not rules appropriate, it keeps your PCs involved and energized with something which could have been boring.

More on point though: I have actually called for a Craft:Toymaking check, a Craft:Alcoholic Beverages check, a Craft:Tree Pruning check, and a Profession:Gravedigger check before. My PCs oftten find creative solutions around these checks, because let's be honest - most Adventurers would rather put points into, i dunno, Swing: Sword before putting points in, Tenderize: Meat. I don't think that the Professions/Craft checks are anywhere near comprehensive enough to cover all the possibilities in a magical universe. I'd ask your DM to be gentle and be kind with which checks apply where.

Besides, If my Baker with max ranks in Craft: Bread and Profession Baker can't interact at all when the Dm calls for a Craft: Sugary Sweet #346 check, and I don't have that particular skill, then I'd feel quite jilted.

Coidzor
2016-04-13, 06:36 PM
I'd let profession(toymaker) and profession(confectioner) work as craft skills, I suppose, if specific candies and toys had to be made rather than it being abstracted.

I can see an alchemist making lollipops and the like, though.