PDA

View Full Version : Making Runes for 5e

Haveatya
2016-04-13, 01:02 PM
So the unearthed arcana rune scribe came with 4 rare Runes, they have 3 simple and 2 complex properties. I beieve a very rare should be 4 and 3? I'd like help from some people to just come up with one "balanced" rune I could base further Runes off of. This rune should be storm themed to fit the current situation. I'd like to start getting suggestions for properties.

Here's two of mine
Simple - resistance to Lightning
Complex - 1d12 + d12 per slot damage in 30 foot line with Dex save.

Thugorp
2016-06-02, 01:27 PM
1d12 seems fine for the base, but 1d12 per slot seems a bit over powered.
How about going 1d12+1d8/slot.(and then make sure it is thunder damage)

Also I would call the rune the Sturm Rune(as that is german for storm)

As for other things, Since you want this one to be four and three anyway, I have always thought that the great thing about storms is that they can combine elements of, well, all of the elements. You already have lighting which takes care of the earth part. I would go next for air

Simple: Up Draft (By tracing the, 'vind,' rune in the air in front of a creature or while holding the sturm master rune(or channeling it if you are a rune scribe) you cause a powerful updraft to blow from under the object or creature lifting it(as with the levitate spell) five feet into the air. The updraft stops at the end of your next turn unless you spend your action to redraw the Vind rune. If you do so the updraft will continue for another round and you may choose to lift the levitated item/creature and additional five feet. If the creature you are trying to lift with the updraft is not a willing target, then it may make an attack against you as a reaction when you try to draw the rune as long a he/she is within his/her range.)

I would then Go water with the, "Vatten," Rune.

Simple: Rain Cloud( By drawing the, Vatten rune on an object or creature with some water while holding the sturm master rune(or channeling it if you are a rune scribe) you cause a tiny cumuli nimbus cloud to form five feet above whatever you drew the Vatten rune on. The cloud immediately starts raining moderately. If the creature or object moves, the cloud follows it on it's turn at a rate of 30ft./turn. The cloud will follow the rune even if the creature or object the rune is on is turned invisible or teleports away. The cloud rains about 16 fluid ounces/round which if collected can be drunk at the player's leisure. Regardless of what the rune is drawn on the cloud rains its self out and disperses after 1minute.

And Finally I would go with either the Donder rune for Thunder.

As for other things, Since you want this one to be four and three anyway, I have always thought that the great thing about storms is that they can combine elements of, well, all of the elements. You already have lighting which takes care of the earth part. I would go next for air

Simple: Up Draft (By tracing the, 'vind,' rune in the air in front of a creature or while holding the sturm master rune(or channeling it if you are a rune scribe) you cause a powerful updraft to blow from under the object or creature lifting it(as with the levitate spell) five feet into the air. The updraft stops at the end of your next turn unless you spend your action to redraw the Vind rune. If you do so the updraft will continue for another round and you may choose to lift the levitated item/creature and additional five feet. If the creature you are trying to lift with the updraft is not a willing target, then it may make an attack against you as a reaction when you try to draw the rune as long a he/she is within his/her range.)

Simple: Rain Cloud( By drawing the, Vatten rune on an object or creature with some water while holding the sturm master rune(or channeling it if you are a rune scribe) you cause a tiny cumuli nimbus cloud to form five feet above whatever you drew the Vatten rune on. The cloud immediately starts raining moderately. If the creature or object moves, the cloud follows it on it's turn at a rate of 30ft./turn. The cloud will follow the rune even if the creature or object the rune is on is turned invisible or teleports away. The cloud rains about 16 fluid ounces/round which if collected can be drunk at the player's leisure.

Simple: Rain Cloud( By drawing the, Vatten rune on an object or creature with some water while holding the sturm master rune(or channeling it if you are a rune scribe) you cause a tiny cumuli nimbus cloud to form five feet above whatever you drew the Vatten rune on. The cloud immediately starts raining moderately. If the creature or object moves, the cloud follows it on it's turn at a rate of 30ft./turn. The cloud will follow the rune even if the creature or object the rune is on is turned invisible or teleports away. The cloud rains about 16 fluid ounces/round which if collected can be drunk at the player's leisure.)

And Finally I would go with the Donder rune for Thunder

Simple: Voice Of The Storm( By channeling the, Dunder rune while holding the sturm master rune(or channeling it if you are a rune scribe) you can make your voice heard from as far away as the rolling thunder or as loud and piercing as the crash of lightning.)