PDA

View Full Version : Original System Final Fantasy VIII d20 Roleplaying Game

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-13, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone, some of you may know me from when i made the Final Fantasy VII d20 game a while back but i am back with a new game for you all to play and enjoy.......Final Fantasy VIII d20 Roleplaying Game. below you will find a link to my official website where the pdf files for the core rulebook and character sheet are. If you could find the time to have a look at it and tell me what you think i would be most grateful. All feedback is welcome so long as it helps to improve the game system and i will not be tolerating any trolling or abuse on this thread.

I thank you all in advance.

Marc

FINAL FANTASY VIII D20 ROLEPLAYING GAME VERSION 1.1 (http://officialmarcwilkinson.yolasite.com/)

CHANGES ALREADY MADE

Page 63 - Elemental Junction Table - changed ice damage to cold damage
Page 63 - Status Junction Table - added the Doomed condition to the list of conditions that the Pain spell protects against when equipped to ST-Def
Page 75-78 - changed the Str+, Dex+, etc GF abilities so that they now provide a bonus to ability checks and saving throws instead of increasing ability scores
Page 11 - removed the Charisma line from the Junction feature's list of benefits as GFs are automatically summoned after 1 turn has passed. Made Charisma the spellcasting ability instead of Wisdom
Page 12 - increased the number of spells you can learn from the Para Magic feature
Page 29 - Changed the SeeD profession so you don't start at level 1 with a GF
Added two subraces for shumi - crafter and elder

naosuke
2016-04-17, 09:14 PM
Love this so far, as a fan of your FF7 conversion, I'm more than ready to see what you can do with FF8 once you get to a more complete place with it.

Quick question though, under junctioning of magic it only states the I'm guess a total bonus for only having one, but does the bonus scale with each additional magic stocked or is it a one time bonus per slot?

Keep going and i love ff8

Zwordsman
2016-04-17, 10:57 PM
Which version of this are you asking to be looked at?
on this it says versio n1.

but on your website, I see Version 1, version 2, and version that doesn't list any version or creation date..
I'm not sure if version 2 is the newest or the one without label is the newest.

I'm assuming i should look at FF7d20 corerulebook version 2.5?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-18, 12:28 AM
Which version of this are you asking to be looked at?
on this it says versio n1.

but on your website, I see Version 1, version 2, and version that doesn't list any version or creation date..
I'm not sure if version 2 is the newest or the one without label is the newest.

I'm assuming i should look at FF7d20 corerulebook version 2.5?

The thread is titled Final Fantasy VIII d20 not Final Fantasy VII so I'm asking you to review FF8. My website contains all of my work.

Naosuke: When you junction a spell to an ability score, it provides a single temporary increase in that score so long as you have at least one copy of the spell.

Zwordsman
2016-04-18, 01:30 AM
kay my bad haha.
that is what i get for sleepy thread readings

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-18, 03:15 AM
kay my bad haha.
that is what i get for sleepy thread readings

No worries, I've done that many of times but at least its cleared up.

Zwordsman
2016-04-18, 03:32 AM
On humans
Ability Score Increase. Two ability scores of
your choice increase by 1 each.

Is this meant to be two seperate abiliity scores, and can not double up on one?

Is the grenade meant to be very difficult to use?
Assuming I understand it correctly. THe grenade's range is "Light, special, thrown (range 40/180)"
and in the grenade section it mentions "he grenade is an area effect
weapon that attacks all targets in a 120 feet blast
radius from its point of origin."
so, it can only savely be used at long /max range ? Since the blast is considerably bigger than the minimum range.

I stopped for sleepiness reasons at the GF section.
So far its neat and well thought out.

I really like how the character building goes.

It seems totally neat and would be fun to play if I had the opportunity.

I'll read more later on.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-18, 04:08 AM
On the human ability score increases it does mean two ability scores and not one.

On grenades, its suppose to be better as a long range weapon as close range could get yourself in the blast as well. Just think of when you pull a pin out of a grenade and miss the timing slightly when about to throw it, it could end up hurting you as well.

Thank you for having a look at it I really appreciate it. If you come across anything that may need correcting please let me know.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-18, 04:59 AM
Love this so far, as a fan of your FF7 conversion, I'm more than ready to see what you can do with FF8 once you get to a more complete place with it.

Quick question though, under junctioning of magic it only states the I'm guess a total bonus for only having one, but does the bonus scale with each additional magic stocked or is it a one time bonus per slot?

Keep going and i love ff8

Thank you for your reply naosuke. Each low-, mid-, and high-level spell has a set value of what it increases an ability score by so long as you have at least one copy of the spell. For example, you have a Str score of 15 and, thanks to the gf you have junctioned who learnt Str-J, you wish to junction your Fire spell to it, which can increase the Strength ability score by +1. You now have a temporary Strength score of 16 instead of 15 so long as you keep Fire junctioned to it and have at least one copy of the Fire spell.

Spells have set values when junctioned to your ability scores, they do not scale upwards.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-19, 07:03 AM
Just so everyone knows, I have updated the main post to include a list of changes made to the system.

naosuke
2016-04-19, 07:26 PM
Great changes, i can't wait to see more and more, I still love this!!

Zwordsman
2016-04-20, 02:13 AM
Finished reading it. I didn't hit anything else that sounded weird or seemed weird past what I mentioned previousl..
Seems like a good system well thought out!

I'd certainly play it given the chance. I'm more a fan of the paramagic for some reason. and really likng blue magic, though its not often used by the looks of things.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-20, 12:44 PM
Finished reading it. I didn't hit anything else that sounded weird or seemed weird past what I mentioned previousl..
Seems like a good system well thought out!

I'd certainly play it given the chance. I'm more a fan of the paramagic for some reason. and really likng blue magic, though its not often used by the looks of things.

Thank you for the reply. Blue Magic is meant to be a powerful form of magic hence its uniqueness in that it can only be used once before taking a short/long rest. Also, blue magic is not affected when you are hit with the silenced condition.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-24, 09:34 AM
Great changes, i can't wait to see more and more, I still love this!!

Thank you naosuke. If you spot any problems with the game please lt me know so I can make the changes.

naosuke
2016-04-26, 11:08 PM
You should also post this on the reddits:
/r/dndhomebrew
/r/finalfantasy

Sorry it won't let me post links yet :(

I bet they'd be able to give you some good feedback, suggestions, and ideas.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-27, 05:37 AM
I will have a look into reddit thanks naosuke. Would you be able to send me an email with the link please? my email is on the main page of my website.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-28, 12:18 PM
I have updated the main post to include another change i have made. the SeeD profession on Page 29 now no longer grants you a GF upon joining as i am currently creating an adventure module that is based around being a SeeD cadet and having to acquire some GFs before being able to take the field exam and becoming a full member of SeeD.

naosuke
2016-04-29, 11:30 PM
Like the idea, couple questions;

1: In this module is this choice of GFS, based on location or a general pool to choose from?

2. If either will each line differ in a separate quest to obtain each one?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-30, 02:04 AM
It will be a module designed for 4 1st level aspiring young SeeD cadets and each one must complete a practical test (acquiring a GF) in order to take the Field Exam. The four GFs are Quezacotl, Shiva, Ifrit, and Diablos.

Passing the field exam itself and being at least 2nd level are now prerequisites you need to meet in order to join the SeeD profession.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-04-30, 11:25 AM
I have added two subraces to shumi - elder and crafter

naosuke
2016-04-30, 07:33 PM
I like the module idea for SeeD, the 4 choices are perfect. Ifrit FTW.
Nicely done on the shumi sub races!

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-05-01, 08:01 AM
Thank you Naosuke. The acquisition of the 4 GFs will be presented as four mini adventures that will, when combined, should get the four SeeD cadets to Level 2. Then the field exam will be a full adventure that will take the characters from level 2 to 3 by the end, with an individual scoring system for the GM to determine starting salary rank.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-05-04, 09:02 PM
Is there any more feedback on the system?

naosuke
2016-05-05, 10:37 PM
Is GF compatibility a factor, if so what kind of changes would positive or negative compatibility cause?

Is it possible to get a ship like the Ragnarok, or is there going to be a build system agree you build and design your own ship at a cost of gil/time?

Also will NPCs be able to find and use GFs, or is that a character option only?
(maybe a dark summon of the GF like FFX as possible challenge or boss options)

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-05-06, 02:37 AM
At the moment GF Compatibility is not being incorporated, maybe down the line sometime but not now.

Obtaining/using GFs is only a character option as it stand but may change at some point if someone can come up with a solution.

You wont be able to create your own vehicles but I will provide base stats for pre-existing vehicles so GMs can use and/or slightly modify them to fit their adventures.

naosuke
2016-05-07, 01:15 AM
1. That's good to know!

2. The only scenario that I can see you finding a NPC with a GF would be a secret split of Garden students from the all 3 gardens, biding their time...

3. OK, fair enough, it's great flying vehicles, I'm cool with that.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-05-22, 04:44 AM
Sorry for responding late, i've been away on holiday. I will incorporate monster stats for some GFs, especially the four mini adventures for the module, so that GMs can use them as boss options. In the SeeD module, which i will be calling Elemental Trials, The only two vehicle stats that will be provided will be the SeeD Assault Boat and the SeeD Personal Carrier Vehicle.

Is there any more feedback?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-05-25, 09:48 AM
Is there any more feedback about the game? Anything that needs adding or changing?

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-06-01, 05:37 PM
I have uploaded a newer version of the core rulebook on my website that includes all the changes stated in the OP. Please check it out and provide me with as much feedback as possible.

Also, regarding the Elemental Trials book, it will contain the following content:

New Feats
New character features to choose from
Four mini adventures, each allowing one member of a party of four to acquire a GF each
A SeeD exam adventure designed for four level 2 adventurers. Adventurers must first acquire a GF before taking the exam
New GF abilities
Vehicle stats for the SeeD Assault Boat and the SeeD Personal Carrier Vehicle
Monster stats for Quetzacotl, Shiva, Ifrit, and Diablos

The book will be SeeD-orientated so anything you guys think i should add to the above list please let me know.

Marc_In_Da_Room
2016-06-22, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry for the multiple posting but is there any more feedback on the game?