PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Druid Newbie help

Ember_Wings
2016-04-13, 05:55 PM
OK i have never touched a main caster before now. I am trying to make a Frontline Tank Type druid focusing mainly in the wildshape features when they become available. Currently my stats are Str 18, Dex 10, CON 18, INT 14, WIS 19, CHA 10. IM playing as a human and 2nd level. My Dm is a dice roller and thats what i was able to roll up plus my human bonus.

If i need to add any information to this to help just let me know. Any help is appreciated

IcarusWulfe
2016-04-13, 09:24 PM
Here is a little tip for playing druids. You don't need high physical stats. Because you will be spending most fights in Wild Shape, you will take on the strength score of whatever from you're in. This means that you can shift your high score elsewhere, possibly CON (you don't get your wholesale form's CON).

The Vagabond
2016-04-13, 09:56 PM
Are you talking actually having a Dex of 0? Or do you meant 10?
If it's 0, then you're ****ed. You literally cannot move. You literally die. with a Charisma of 0, you also literally die.

Ember_Wings
2016-04-13, 10:06 PM
OK OP is fixed to show 10's and not 0's lol my bad.

Ok so I went to Double check the D20pfsrd and it states it works as the spell Beast Shape 1, 2, or 3 and per that spell it says you only get a bonus depending on what you take. I would post the link here but its not letting me. I was hoping i was just misreading or missed something.

Geddy2112
2016-04-13, 10:15 PM
Here is a little tip for playing druids. You don't need high physical stats. Because you will be spending most fights in Wild Shape, you will take on the strength score of whatever from you're in. This means that you can shift your high score elsewhere, possibly CON (you don't get your wholesale form's CON).

This was true in 3.5, but is not the case in pathfinder. A melee shiftier druid will need high physical scores.

Where did you put your bonus +2? You have incredible stats as is, but I would be concerned about a 10 dex. You are a caster, so you need to go first and that means good initiative. Druids have poor reflex saves, so extra dex helps. Also, if you are going to be a frontline/tank you need a decent AC, and a 10 dex won't cut it. Even if you have dragonhide full plate with the wild enchantment, you can still benefit from 12 dex to get a +1 to AC. I would swap your int with your dex- since you are human you should be okay on skill ranks, and you don't use int for anything else. If you really need ranks, use your favored class bonus. With an 18 con you likely won't need the extra HP as much(but as a tank maybe). 19 wis is really high, and you want to be using melee more than spells that have a high save DC. Your spells will be out of combat buffs and utility more than target opponent with X save. With 19 wisdom, you could cast all the way to level 9 spells without a wis boost. I would consider making this lower, you can get away with 14 if you put your +1 increases from every 4th level in wisdom.

You want an animal companion to flank and attack with you, there are plenty of good ones to choose from, just make sure its not something useless in combat. Until you can shift, you want a weapon to fight with. If you want a shield, get a scimitar, if not, grab a scythe. A longspear is okay for utility, but none of that is too important as you will be fighting as an animal more often than not. Hide armor is cheap and boosts your AC even more-use the spell longstrider to cancel out the movement penalty, but eventually this won't matter either.

You need natural spell as your 5th level feat, no exceptions.

Pick spells like wall of stone, soften earth and stone, and other battlefield control spells to help protect your allies and funnel enemies towards you. Get a wand of CLW to cover out of combat healing.

Those are the big ones.

Ember_Wings
2016-04-13, 10:26 PM
Currently i have a -2 to Dex due to an in-Character/Story reason at least for the time being. (going to work on getting that fixed later if possible.) I put my +2 from being human on a 17 for the 19 Wis (always thought Druids were primary Casters) and so thought that was the best option. Currently I have Hide armor and a heavy wooden shield for Equipment and hadnt looked at weapons as of yet. Also thank you I can probably adjust a couple of numbers to get at lease a 12 Dex. The current Pet I have is a Tiger. Figured when it grows up the pounce would be nice to have.

Beowulf DW
2016-04-13, 10:45 PM
What does your party look like right now? Unless you're playing alone, that's a major consideration.

That aside, I've always been a fan of the Fist of the Forest build, which you can find here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bu5RkMqNkZR1hpQjNfcDNsUEU/view).

It requires levels in monk, and takes a few levels to really hit its stride, but it can be pretty fun, especially when you substitute monk with Unchained monk, and druid with some of the archetypes like Saurian Shaman.

In fact, any melee druid can benefit from Saurian Shaman, Goliath Druid, Mountain Druid, Lion Shaman (maybe), and possibly Cave Druid.

Out of all of those, Goliath Druid might be the best as a straight up fighter. If you don't want to deal with using an animal companion, you can ditch it for domains, and the Goliath Druid still has you covered. However, Goliath Druids get dinosaurs and megafauna as animal companions, so that you're denying yourself a potent flanking buddy if you go that route.

Still, bottom line is that Goliath Druid has a lot of stuff to make the job of a front line druid easier.

Ember_Wings
2016-04-13, 10:48 PM
Currently the party looks as thus:

Buff/Support Cleric,
Bard,
Boom Sorc (im assuming i know its a sorc but not sure what kind currently)
Frontline Druid with Tiger as Pet/Companion for frontline (aka me

Also trying not to multiclass if possible because DM is doing a High Intrigue game and giving bonus Shinies to people who single class.

Spore
2016-04-13, 10:56 PM
Take Natural Spell at 5th level (and possibly Feral Speech at 7 if you prefer to stay in Wildshape like me). Otherwise, cat forms come with pounce, wolves are superior trippers. Try to flank with your animal companion (invest in Int 3 to open up feats for them, take armor proficiency for them, then upgrade Con). Use your spells to control the battlefield before charging in to reduce incoming damage.

A well placed Entangle or Spike Growth really does help a lot with getting surrounded. Always double check with your DM if plant based spells like Entangle would work in your environment.

Beowulf DW
2016-04-14, 07:15 PM
Currently the party looks as thus:

Buff/Support Cleric,
Bard,
Boom Sorc (im assuming i know its a sorc but not sure what kind currently)
Frontline Druid with Tiger as Pet/Companion for frontline (aka me

Also trying not to multiclass if possible because DM is doing a High Intrigue game and giving bonus Shinies to people who single class.

In that case, my vote is definitely for Goliath Druid with the standard suite of melee feats (Toughness, Power Attack, etc.).

Especially in an intrigue campaign, because Goliath Druid exchanges Craft, Profession, and Ride for Bluff, Diplomacy and Knowledge (local). Three skills you'll never use in exchange for being an extraordinarily well-rounded socialite for a hermit that hangs out with all things huge.

You have to take a megafauna as an animal companion, so you'd have to trade the tiger for a smilodon (saber-tooth tiger). That shouldn't be too much of a problem, right?

Rhedyn
2016-04-14, 07:22 PM
OK i have never touched a main caster before now. I am trying to make a Frontline Tank Type druid focusing mainly in the wildshape features when they become available. Currently my stats are Str 18, Dex 10, CON 18, INT 14, WIS 19, CHA 10. IM playing as a human and 2nd level. My Dm is a dice roller and thats what i was able to roll up plus my human bonus.

If i need to add any information to this to help just let me know. Any help is appreciated
Flip int and dex. Put favored class bonus into skill points to make up for it.

Take animal companion not a domain.

Grab natural spell, power attack, augment summoning, vital strike, improved vital strike, and craft wondrous item.

Put 4 and 8 ability score increases into strength. 12, 16, and 20 into wisdom.

Now go enjoy doing everything with your God stats