View Full Version : Knights of Luana

Jeivar
2016-04-13, 06:05 PM
(sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place)

I'm writing a short story serial, in a space opera setting. I've just thought of a new element to refer to in the main series, and then put on centre stage in the sequel series. I have this order of, well, basically space paladins, and I need a name for them.

I'm leaning towards calling them Knights of Luana, but I'm also thinking Saints of Luana. My main concern is that, given the space opera setting, "knights" will put people in mind of the Jedi Knights. The "Luana" bit comes from the belief that their power stems from a particular deity.

I would appreciate any opinions on this. I find that naming things in fantasy is tricky business.

thirsting
2016-04-13, 06:42 PM
Luanites?

Luanatics.

...Stalwarts of Luana.

Dienekes
2016-04-13, 07:35 PM
How about: The Order of Luana. Or the Luana Order.

It still has a similar meaning and brings across the religious idea of the Templar Order and whatnot. Though while the Jedi were called the Jedi Order I think it is a step further away from the cultural conscious of the Jedi Knights.

Ranxerox
2016-04-13, 07:50 PM
Knights of Luana has a nice sound to it, and at least for me, didn't raise any visions of Jedi knights.

Palanan
2016-04-13, 08:21 PM
I confess, I opened this thread wondering if it was a new Jedi spinoff. :smalltongue:

Saints of Luana sounds good to me, especially if you want to emphasize their spirituality. Stalwarts of Luana is also good, but it implies that Luana is a place which needs defending, like a fortress or a mountain kingdom.

Cikomyr
2016-04-13, 09:00 PM
Luanan Archons
Watch of Luanar
Templars of Luanar
Luanan Guard

Or go a little ethnic..

Luanan Jannisaries

Kitten Champion
2016-04-13, 10:23 PM
What does Luana represent? Is their any key iconography or associated symbols which could allude to Luana without invoking the name directly? Any key religious figures which might be referenced in its/his/her stead?

With the Knights of the Cross or the Order of Saint Michael for instance, their Christian nature is pretty obvious to anyone who understands the significance of those words but it doesn't directly state God or Christ in their title exactly. By having a name which more symbolic and less explicit it makes the culture around it appear more substantive, giving them more flavour and opening up some room wherein one could explain the name's origin and significance for a better understanding of what they're about.